D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/31/18 1:33 p.m.

So I just saw one yesterday in the flesh. Around here cars like that are rare. The want is high. Am I crazy? Are they as fun as they are good looking, or would it be dating a stripper kind of nightmare?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/31/18 1:55 p.m.

Can totally relate.  The V6 sounds excellent and that's the engine required to get a manual trans.  But the reliability doesn't seem near the front of the class, which I'm sure is a shock.  

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
10/31/18 1:57 p.m.

The want is high with me too.  I saw an F Type Type R in a parking garage a year or so ago and was afraid I left drool spots.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/31/18 2:42 p.m.

Even the cheapest ones are still listing over $30K, but they are depreciating fast.  A lightly used F-Type makes a really intriguing counterpoint to the $35K MX-5 that GRM just tested.  Which do you prefer most, muscle or agility?

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/31/18 4:32 p.m.

The one I saw was also an R, and it definately made my pants tighter. Is it a just a looker, or is it a driver too?

It would be a coupe for me.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/31/18 4:37 p.m.

The architecture is very similar to my XK: more involving than a Mustang, but not like a Cayman.  It's more about brawn than finesse.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/31/18 6:42 p.m.

If I had 60k +  I'd immediately buy an used F type R coupe. There's nothing under 100k that I want more than an F type R. They're not depreciating as fast as people think. The F type S are in the high 30's right now. But the sound of the v8 is worth the price difference. I LOVE them. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/31/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Why does the lettering say F type v8 S? Whaaa?  Pretty sure all S's are v6 models and maybe 4cyl turbo with the new engines. And all R's are v8.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/31/18 6:55 p.m.

Had 24 hours with a F type R when they first came out. Blast. Quick enough but heavy in its class. Would like to have a coupe as a DD but if it was going to be tracked or autocrossed then I would go for a Cayman S.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/31/18 9:05 p.m.

They're quite lovely in person, and sound glorious. I have not driven one and cannot comment on that aspect

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/31/18 9:21 p.m.

Hertz rents them. “A friend” says they’re really good on track. Really good. Really really good.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
10/31/18 9:29 p.m.

One of the best sounding veHicle I've ever had the pleasure of chasing down highway 101. No idea what they cost, but worth every cent for the noise alone.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/31/18 9:59 p.m.

Jag nailed it with these. I saw one on the freeway, also an R, and was awestruck and had to see the badge to know it was a Jaguar. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/3/18 8:55 p.m.

I think one thing that's cool about the F-Type is that all of its versions are cool. Even the 4 cyl seems pretty durn good. I think i'd take the V6/manual/rwd. Plenty of power, sounds good, power oversteer. 

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
11/3/18 10:44 p.m.

I wanted one until I tried to sit in it.  I’m 6’2” and I couldn’t fit.  My knees were hard against the lower dash.  I  can’t understand why car designers can’t make a car with decent legroom.  I can’t fit in a 911, Cayman either...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/3/18 11:03 p.m.

In reply to maj75 :

That’s surprising.  I’m 6’2” and all my Porsche’s have plenty of legroom.  I’m mostly legs too,  so it’s not that.  The only recent car I’ve had problems with was a new Miata.  It was just way too small and uncomfortable for anything but short drives.  The best one is my cl600....the seats are huge,  the steering wheel telescopes,  and I can really sprawl out in that thing.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/4/18 9:52 a.m.

I'm 6'0 and I fit in an F-type fine. I dont think the inside is as pretty as the outside and I generally prefer 911s all around, but the interior was not a dealbreaker at my size.

ORIF
ORIF New Reader
11/4/18 5:21 p.m.

I rented a Type R though Turo for a weekend last month. It was a beast. Most fun car I have driven to date and, as stated earlier, they sound absolutely glorious. Not sure what the other versions are like to drive, but I think it could be a true performance bargain over the next few years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EH24BWK0OrUavOcf7JezZXVez88TUrk4dAR6ekTvTXCRAFx9dP2L0oF0ZBj0IdwS