1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/31/21 4:34 p.m.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/31/21 7:38 p.m.

Looks like there's plenty of room in the engine bay now.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/31/21 7:46 p.m.
Racingsnake said:

Looks like there's plenty of room in the engine bay now for a BBC.

FTFY

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/31/21 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

Cant afford Chevy Big Block.  Way too expensive. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/31/21 9:53 p.m.

Cool!  I'm glad you are doing this!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/31/21 10:05 p.m.

Trying to decide if I want a Group 44 tribute car or A TWR Group A tribute car. 
    There is a Group A tribute car in England running  with the Group 44 colors but without the flairs or slicks. 
     If I can run with the group 6 cars. I'll do that treatment. But if I have to run with the Group 10 in SVRA or Group 9 VSCDA  I'll go with the flairs and Slicks 

Just to be clear. Erik and Jeff  spent 4 hours Saturday afternoon and helped me make all the progress. Amazing progress was made.  It feels good to see all the progress they achieved. Plus no hack work!  Things were properly unscrewed, unbolted, saved.   Right now I'm way ahead of what I'm allowed to recover just from the interior and bumpers. Plus we recovered .42 cents!!!  
     As things stand right now I traded the automatic transmission for a T5.  With the Torque of that 12 I'll have to be very gentle to get through the challenge.   
   We are scheduled to work the end of this week, in the meantime I'm Cleaning up some of the little stuff.  Odds & ends. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/21 6:33 a.m.

Is that an LS?  It looks like you could add a second one in front . . .

I have a think for flying buttresses.  Cool build.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/1/21 7:30 a.m.

Good work! Keep us posted. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/1/21 8:01 a.m.

Thats awesome! Were your helpers GRMers?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 8:04 a.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

So what are your thoughts?  Group 44 tribute car with flairs and slicks 

Or Group A tribute car, unflaired?   

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Erik is, that's where he saw the request to join.  Jeff learned about it from Erick.  
   We've changed our direction a little. After the Northern Version of the Challenge. We will be doing vintage racing.  More in line with our interests and it makes it easier to get lap time for everyone.  
We are building it to Champcar Specs so if we get enough drivers we can race there too. 
     So which way would you build it?  Group44 tribute with flairs and slicks or Group A tribute, Unflaired? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 8:13 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Group 44 with flairs and slicks ? Group A , stock fenders?  

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/1/21 8:15 a.m.

The car looks to be in pretty good shape.  Now, if you aren't doing a Summer School run, you can devote some serious time to this build.  Following with interest.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
6/1/21 8:59 a.m.

Group 44 if you're going to run the side pipes otherwise Group A.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/21 9:15 a.m.

Oh man. Awesome!!

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/1/21 10:30 a.m.

Build style to match budget and rules. Tribute colors to match build style.

Regardless, the world really does need more V12's track/race cars.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I can do either one.  The flairs will be easy since I have an English wheel to roll them out.  Used slicks will be cheap way to keep racing rubber  on it plus they still make a 15x10 Minilite with a 5" back spacing.  
Finding wheels for the Group A will be harder.  Walkinshaw used 17X 9 in front and 17x13 in the rear. But I suspect he had custom made hubs

obsolete
obsolete Reader
6/1/21 1:00 p.m.

I vote maximum flares. When I think of a low-budget Jaguar XJS race car, this is the benchmark:

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/1/21 1:47 p.m.

Cool, challenge Jag!  Any plans for LeMons in its future?  laugh

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 1:56 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

We are building the cage to Champcar standards so if we get enough drivers  we could do either LeMons or Champcar  The finished car should be at 380 Champcar points 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/1/21 2:00 p.m.
Racingsnake said:

Group 44 if you're going to run the side pipes otherwise Group A.

Side pipes only let you hear six cylinders at a time. Dump the exhaust in the middle and you hear all 12 thundering elegance 

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/1/21 2:13 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this build.  As far as which direction it should go is concerned I'd go with whichever will allow you to run the most affordable tires. I want to see this on the track as often as possible and tire cost is likely to be the most significant budget restriction.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/1/21 2:32 p.m.

Good to see you're working on it! Group 44 W/flairs & slicks!

adam525i
adam525i Dork
6/1/21 2:48 p.m.

You won't be able to run slicks in Champcar/Lemons so that might sway your decision (200 TW street tires only), otherwise the car looks great and either option will be lots of fun.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/1/21 3:18 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Are you going to fender roll it or some other type of flares? I'm certainly interested in how yours turn out because I want to do flares on my XJS.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G94WQrZ4N4XVLDZzY9yiUaAxnxcx67iQRFlfO8cJFEx5XCPN5NQA8Sv1hBfYzv5Y