2 3 4 5 6
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/15/21 6:34 p.m.
sergio said:

So how much do you think it will weigh race weight? 3200?

For the challenge Probably 2500 pounds. Plus my fat butt and fuel.  For Vintage racing it has to weigh 2840 with my fat butt and fuel.  
The difference is the weight of the roll cage 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/16/21 12:11 p.m.

Yes, the Volvo 122 used a pair of HS6 on a 1.8 liter engine, with a 6500 rpm redline.  IIRC those carbs are rated at something like 200 CFM each.  So that's 400 CFM on a 1.8 litre engine.  And yet there's no bogging or anything.  Nice thing is, if you want to upgrade to a 2 liter, or wring it out to 7k with stiffer springs, the stock SU's still work pretty well.  And if it's a bit lean, a different needle/ jet combo is an easy swap.  

Love me some SU carburetor.  Unfortunately, all I have are HS6's, except I think my 3.8S uses a pair of HS8s.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/16/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Wow!!! I'm shocked. The MGB has HS4's  for 1798 cc's 

and Volvo uses HS6's for  1788 cc's 

Triumph TR4 (etc) also uses HS6's. For 2138 cc's. 
  I had assumed they all used the same size carb. 
     So maybe I should consider using HS6's? How many pairs do you have you'd be willing to sell?  
 Yes they use different needles but I've often chucked a needle in a drill and using 1000 grit emery paper polished the needle about where the lean spot is on the needle. 
   Most jets are .090 so if I do the calculation for 20% more flow and ream them to that size. I can use E85 and pick up more than 10% horsepower increase. Since the HE engine I'll use has 11.5-1 compression ratio stock  I should be pushing 400+ horsepower. DIN net. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/16/21 4:08 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/16/21 4:50 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Yes, the Volvo 122 used a pair of HS6 on a 1.8 liter engine, with a 6500 rpm redline.  IIRC those carbs are rated at something like 200 CFM each.  So that's 400 CFM on a 1.8 litre engine.  And yet there's no bogging or anything.  Nice thing is, if you want to upgrade to a 2 liter, or wring it out to 7k with stiffer springs, the stock SU's still work pretty well.  And if it's a bit lean, a different needle/ jet combo is an easy swap.  

Love me some SU carburetor.  Unfortunately, all I have are HS6's, except I think my 3.8S uses a pair of HS8s.  

What year is your 3.8 S? 
 1964 - 68 used HD6's  or HD6th 

volvoclearinghouse
6/16/21 9:53 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

My 3.8s is a 66.  Do it must be some flavor of HD6.

The HS6 the Volvo uses are inclined- the whole intake is on a slant.  Not sure of how many degrees off vertical the mounting surface is. But it matters, to keep the floats level.

I honestly have no idea how many HS6s I have. Between parts cars (5 or so) and 122's and 1800s I've parted out I must have seen a dozen sets (at least). All of them would definitely require some rework- some are probably seized in parts.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/16/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

The HS4's that I have are slated up but the Jaguar needs them slanted down.  I think I can deal with that by reversing the side of the carb the fuel bowl  goes on.  
    Worst case I can probably throw them on a vertical mill and bevel either the fuel bowl or the  carb in order to get them straight. 
    Carbs are so easy compared to fuel injection.   

With regard your Jaguar carbs if you've got that electric starter carb they would be the HD6th  

If you have the manual choke then they are plain HD6's.   I'll give you needle, jets etc. if you want.  

Think about how much you'd like for 3 sets of  HS6's. Don't worry about condition.  I assume I'll have to rebuild them and if the throttle shafts are worn  they make oversized ones  I can ream  the bodies to take.   Since I will be guessing on needles I'll have to go through my needle selection to see what might be close.   This is the fun stuff 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/16/21 10:45 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

Thank you Stuart, I'm heading over there now  

Until I figure out how to remove the gas tank I'm afraid  the smell will persist. 

Shotgun?

Edit: I see the problem has been solved

volvoclearinghouse
6/17/21 6:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

It does indeed have the electric starter carb.  So HD6th.

Let me root around in my stash and see if I have a half-dozen complete units that are in rebuildable shape. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/17/21 11:16 p.m.

Thanks.  I'm pretty good at working with SU's so don't worry about worn throttle shafts or odd ball needles. Etc. I know how to unfreeze linkage etc. without breaking it.  
     Spec's  for your carbs  

front &rear carb AUD 243 type HD8th needle TM  spring red  damper auc 8102  jet auc 8155

Needle and seat aud 9585 float  auc 1123 throttle spindle auc  8422&8423 throttle disk auc 3280   Gasket pack aue 805  maintinence pack aue 855 pump Auf 301

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/26/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

It may not look like much but I got my 6 SU carbs  and the really hard part is the car is turned around in my garage. 
    Big deal you say?  Yeh it is a big deal for an almost 73 year old fat Geezer. 
I had to push it the 130 feet of my driveway. Uphill both ways ( or so it seemed). And then turn it up the hill which at times felt like I was dead lifting the whole thing.   
     Next I had to inch it back down the hill without loosing control,  turning it to head into the driveway.  ( the brakes are on the floor in the shop ). Gravity sure seems to be working hard around here. 
     But now I get to hoist the engine out. Picture to follow. 
     Whine whine snivel snivel. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/26/21 4:14 p.m.

What you got there in the corner? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/26/21 5:46 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I've owned that MGTD since I was 14 years old.  It was last restored in 1974 and since it's been driven across America, Vintage raced at least 20 times.  Plus lots of cruising around the lake and various other fun events. 
 The spares for it are going to form the start of my MGuar ( it will look similar but be powered by a supercharged V12 with a Holley on top)  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/21 5:49 p.m.

frenchy, I'm glad to see you building this car! 

johndej
johndej Dork
6/26/21 5:56 p.m.

Woooooooot! Great progress! Get that Frenchy D special rolling!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/26/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

But it's not just me.  I've got Jeff and Erik  helping me.  They show up, and we work together for 3-4 hours.  It's fun, time seems to fly, we achieve a lot, and then go home and do family stuff. 
    Since they will be racing it themselves The quality  of work is excellent.  The shop is far from perfect, but pleasant enough. Temps never get too hot and this winter we will be comfortably warm. 
   Our goal is to conduct a local version of the challenge. Drag race, autocross, and send pictures in to be judged. 
 Following that we'll paint it white/green,lite green  in a tribute to Group 44's cars. And go play vintage racer wheel to wheel With SVRA & VSCDA. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/26/21 6:58 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Since they will be racing it themselves The quality  of work is excellent.

Reminds me of the Q45.  First year I was going to be the only driver so my friends helping me just accepted what ever I said we would do.  The next year they were going to drive also.  All of a sudden I got questioned on anything safety related.  Always nice to have skin in the game.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/26/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This is a new experiance for me.  I've always been the lone Wolf, working all nighters to get done without cutting corners.  
  It's a lot more fun with others of a similar mindset and limiting the endless flogging and self sacrifice. 
   If I'd known it was like this I would have done this decades ago. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/26/21 8:54 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Stampie :

This is a new experiance for me.  I've always been the lone Wolf, working all nighters to get done without cutting corners.  
  It's a lot more fun with others of a similar mindset and limiting the endless flogging and self sacrifice. 
   If I'd known it was like this I would have done this decades ago. 

Car buddies are awesome!

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/27/21 7:25 a.m.

Also a member of the audience.  Glad to see the fire has been re-lit.  As a new to Jaguar owner, I'm following with interest.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/27/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you but the fire for a racing Jaguar has always been burning real bright. When I was 14 I stacked Hay bales for a SCCA race as payment I got tickets to attend. That's where I first saw the Black Jack Special. ( a DType looking Jaguar based on a shortened XK150. 
     My first Jaguar race car was a XK150 roadster prepared for SCCA D Production.  I then bought the old Black Jack spl for Vintage racing.  And later a XKEV12 roadster. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/27/21 9:00 a.m.

Pushing and pulling the car 130' up and down the driveway? Don't you have a truck? Ya know, for truck stuff, like pushing and pulling.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/27/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Uh, Yes I do. But without brakes or anyone steering  I could only see crunch in my future.  

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/27/21 3:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

frenchy, I'm glad to see Y'all building this car! 

There, I fixed that for frenchyd laugh

'Course A. C. would likely pronounce it different!surprise

I to am very glad to see this getting built, and so glad y'all are having fun with it.

Me and most guys I've hung with, have all leaned to the loner side... but building stuff together, is what keeps us friends!

Have fun, and I'd love to see a couple of the challenge type folks come up to join in on your event in person. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/27/21 7:04 p.m.

That was brilliantly perceptive.  Yes I'm very much a loaner. Working on cars is a way to fill that time while racing is a way to measure the success of that time.  
    I happen to agree  with you regarding the nature of many of us car enthusiasts. I'm sure it's the same for any interest.  Hunting, fishing,  model Airplanes, trains etc. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T0S9TZTgbQhMnWJZu5tdGQsmJAlxL0l3nFcGnIEtbOf29g5F82tDYLvztCOufuLP