1 2 3 4
SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/25/11 1:26 p.m.
Mr_BadWrench wrote: 01 WRX. Everyone here wants one, you can make us all jealous. although a panda treuno Hachi-Roku would be nice also

MMMM.... 22B...

:wipes up drool:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
5/25/11 2:12 p.m.
modernbeat wrote: Look for an '89 R32. When you return to the US three years from now it will be 25 years old and eligible for import.

THIS

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
5/25/11 2:56 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I really want an 87 or 88 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.0Si. It needs to have a manual transmission and a B20 engine. It will be under the 25 year rule when you come back, and you'd have a buyer lined up (me) as soon as you hit the states.

Well played!

Clay
Clay HalfDork
5/27/11 6:53 a.m.

My buddy here pointed me to great site that's very useful for locating cars here in Japan. They have an English site, but the price includes exportation fees so it's higher than if I buy the car locally. Still it's cool to see some of the stuff that's available and it can be used to figure out what dealers have what cars.

http://exchange.goo-net.com/

Right now I count 7 Pulsar GTi-R's for example. This one is local:

My buddy has a system for finding the car on the English site and then searching the Japanese site (using Google translator) to find the actual dealer it's located at, then go check it out. This should be fun!

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/27/11 7:04 a.m.

$7K R32 GTR http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700070260620110526001.html

Then there's this. (Don't look at the price ).

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/9/11 7:16 a.m.

Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I am still looking for the perfect car. I'm hoping to go to a dealer in Yokohama this weekend that specializes in cool cars. Here's a link the dealer's website

Also, I'm going to look at this Evo IV as it's right down the road. I am still hoping to find an Impreza, but there just don't seem to be any in my price rance close by. Another $7800 Skyline GTR popped up, but I didn't like the history of the car.

And lastly, since I promised to include some pics of cars over here, I found a trend that I think is Awesome. Apparently they take some of these compact vans (Suzuki I think) and convert them into retro VW Microbuses. I'm thinking they must replace the whole front nose piece with a rounded fiberglass one or something. Anyway, I've seen two of them so far. The first even had the large VW emblem on the front. This one I saw last night at the Sushi-go-round. I could definitely sport something like this!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/9/11 8:13 a.m.

This film might be of some assistance:

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/9/11 8:36 a.m.

Well, I found a Suzuki for sale with the microbus conversion, but it doesn't look as good as the one I pictured above. I still have to figure out what van they are using for that one...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goo-net.com%2Fusedcar%2Fspread%2Fgoo%2F13%2F700051067820100817001.html

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/9/11 9:17 a.m.

This thread makes me miss Japan. Maybe you could supplement your budget by finding awesome japanese parts

like these finned aluminum brake drums for the new Mazda2... vv

and sell them to us silly Yankees for a profit.

Better yet, pick through the wrecking yards for all the leftovers. The wrecking yard near Futenma in Okinawa was great. We bought wheels at $30.00 each. It didn't matter whether they were OEM, aftermarket, bent, straight, whole sets or individuals. Little parts like the mushroom-looking intakes were also dirt cheap.

Back on topic- The little vans all looked the same to me, and it seemed like all the manufacturers had one. Grab the owner and ask him, I'd say.

VividRacing
VividRacing New Reader
6/9/11 12:23 p.m.

Evo Wagon FTW! Can take the kids to soccer, go to Costco and then hit the race track all in one errand!

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/15/11 7:54 a.m.

Hey guys. I just wanted to update you everyone on what I ended up buying. I got a 96 Evo IV. I had narrowed it down to this or a WRX Sti Version III, but there just weren't many of the WRX's in this prefecture. I did find one local Sportswagon STi Version III, but I really liked this Evo. The same dealer had 4 of them and this was the nicest and least modded,but the most miles (103,000 km). It already had the timing belt changed as well. The other one for the same price smelled like an ashtray. I still have to go get insurance, Japanese Cumpulsory Insurance, and a temp tag before I can pick it up, but I can't wait. I'll try and keep posting pics of cool cars I see and hopefully I'll get a fun drive up to the Mt Fuji area in soon. Until then...

Evo IV For Sale Add

Wally
Wally SuperDork
6/15/11 8:06 a.m.
Clay wrote: Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I am still looking for the perfect car. I'm hoping to go to a dealer in Yokohama this weekend that specializes in cool cars. Here's a link the dealer's website Also, I'm going to look at this Evo IV as it's right down the road. I am still hoping to find an Impreza, but there just don't seem to be any in my price rance close by. Another $7800 Skyline GTR popped up, but I didn't like the history of the car. And lastly, since I promised to include some pics of cars over here, I found a trend that I think is Awesome. Apparently they take some of these compact vans (Suzuki I think) and convert them into retro VW Microbuses. I'm thinking they must replace the whole front nose piece with a rounded fiberglass one or something. Anyway, I've seen two of them so far. The first even had the large VW emblem on the front. This one I saw last night at the Sushi-go-round. I could definitely sport something like this!

How much postage would it take for you to mail me one?

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/15/11 9:24 a.m.

I'm still researching the little VW conversions as I think they look awesome. It appears it's based on a Subaru Sambar. Here's a link to a UK company the does conversions. I still haven't found where you can get the parts to do it yourself, but I may have to look into it. The yellow plate on the front of the one I saw indicates it's got a 660cc engine or smaller. It's gotta be pretty economical I would think.

http://www.subarusambar.co.uk/

http://www.algysautos.com/vw-mini-campers.html

sanman
sanman Reader
6/15/11 3:02 p.m.

Nice choice Clay! You've definitely made at least me jealous. Now, you need to let us know when you're coming back to the U.S. for us JDM freaks who need stuff . You never should've let us know you were there!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
6/15/11 3:20 p.m.

Looks like a nice choice indeed! I'm surprised that a dealer in Japan would offer a car smelling like an ashtray though, but maybe that was in the section reserved for foreigners .

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/15/11 4:20 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Looks like a nice choice indeed! I'm surprised that a dealer in Japan would offer a car smelling like an ashtray though, but maybe that was in the section reserved for foreigners .

I think that's actually for the Japanese buyers! The Japanese smoke like five-alarm fires.

In reply to Clay:

I hate you right now with the fury of a billion burning suns. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. You monster.

VividRacing
VividRacing New Reader
6/15/11 4:32 p.m.

Be sure to ship that home!

Id really consider buying that from you!

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/15/11 9:33 p.m.
Wally wrote: The Toyota Cavalier

Err what what that??? Why would Toyota sell a Cavalier in Japan? What were the two people who bought them thinking?

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/15/11 9:37 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Too bad you need a four-seater. I would have suggested an Autozam (Mazda) AZ-1 or a Suzuki Cappuccino I'm going to say Nissan Stagea.

The Mazda is awesome!! Do you if I comes in a man version? Gull wing doors!! So cool!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
6/15/11 10:51 p.m.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
6/16/11 1:13 a.m.

In reply to Sultan:

It was one of GMs brighter moves. They bought Geo Prizms from Toyota and paid them in Cavaliers.

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/16/11 7:53 a.m.

Thanks guys. Glad to hear you approve. I agree about how they smoke here. I'm just glad I found a car that wasn't smoked in. Of the four I looked at. The other three were modded. This one was bone stock. Even the airbox and shifter. The only upgrades I found were the turbo timer and the timing belt had been replaced. Both show me the previous owner took good care of it. As far as mailing JDM stuff home, I have thought about it but I'm not supposed to use my FPO address for any type of business. That does not mean I can't stock up on stuff while I'm here and bring it back with me in three years though!

Clay
Clay HalfDork
7/27/11 7:14 a.m.

Hey guys. I promised I would update this thread with some car pics, but I've been a bit slow. Yesterday I got the opportunity to visit the nearby Nissan plant as part of a tour from base. They wanted us to observe their technicians practicing for the upcoming World Skills Olympics in London. I guess lots of Americans milling around watching you is good preparation for the competition. Anyway, part of the tour was getting to see their awesome 300+ car museum so I took lots of pics. I made an album and threw in a few other car pics I had on my phone, but had never downloaded. Anyway, check them out at the following link:

Cars in Japan - Public Album

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
7/27/11 10:58 a.m.
Clay wrote: Anyway, check them out at the following link: Cars in Japan Album

private album - nothing here.........

Clay
Clay HalfDork
7/27/11 7:37 p.m.

Oops. Fixed it...

Cars in Japan - Public Album

1 2 3 4