1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/14/13 1:15 p.m.

Why aren't we talking about the best news ever from NAIAS!??!?

The new Jeep GC will have a 3.0L Turbo Diesel available.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-detroit-2013/

Autoblog said: For starters, the 2014 Grand Cherokee marks the return of a diesel model here in the States, with Chrysler's new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 under the hood, churning out 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The juicier bits are available here:

Autoblog said: Owners can expect 21 miles per gallon in the city and 30 on the highway, and the model features a 7,400-pound tow rating to go with its leg-crossing cruising range of up to 730 miles on a single tank.

New answer for "what tow vehicle"? I'm thinking yes!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
1/14/13 1:17 p.m.

Well this isn't the first time, but it's good to know they are putting one back in.

Now if they would do that to the Patriot and Compass like they do over seas, then we're talking.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/14/13 1:20 p.m.

Sweet! 30mpg in a decent sized SUV is great. I think paddle shifters in a (non-SRT) Cherokee are pretty hilarious though.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/14/13 1:22 p.m.

As long as it doesn't share crap with the old 2.8/3.0 CRD's....

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/14/13 1:36 p.m.

I've driven the 2015 3L turbo oil burner with the zf 8 speed. its awesome.

cant tell you how though

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
1/14/13 1:43 p.m.

Diesels make so much sense for so many applications. Good to see some of that potential being filled.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/14/13 1:54 p.m.

I'm hoping that will end up in a half-ton pickup too. Excellent.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/14/13 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

One report I ran across said they were testing it in the ram 1500 as well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/14/13 2:25 p.m.

Only problem being that they'll likely load it up with every option.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/14/13 2:30 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: As long as it doesn't share crap with the old 2.8/3.0 CRD's....

I'd hazard a guess this is a Fiat-based engine vs. a M-B version. Didn't see any origin details, tho.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/14/13 2:32 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Only problem being that they'll likely load it up with every option.

A browse through the Ram and Jeep websites makes it look like you are able to get just about any current engine stand-alone (less the SRT). I can even spec out a Cummins Ram in the black-bumper, vinyl interior, 2-door model! Chrysler/FIAT has been really good about drivetrain availability.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/13 2:35 p.m.

It's the VM Motori Diesel. Has been around in Europe for several years and Australia has had it in their GC for at least a year. This isn't really "new" news though... I think I've known about it for 6 months? Maybe just because I'm looking at a "next" car.

I share the hope that they offer it in something less than the $50k model. Perfect size, great mileage, etc. Here's to hoping that it finds its way into a Ram 1500 as well. Similar mileage would be dandy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork

Too bad it is in a GC.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
DaveEstey wrote: Only problem being that they'll likely load it up with every option.

This is the problem. They don't allow someone who is trying to be price conscious to be able to have a Diesel engine. I guarantee that the diesel models will be starting at $35k.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/14/13 2:47 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: It's the VM Motori Diesel.

Yuck. That is what they have used in the previous GC's.... Even after Banks got involved, as a standalone engine/ECU for the military, I still wouldn't own one.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/14/13 3:02 p.m.

Everything you've ever wanted to know about the new V6 3.0, which doesn't share anything with the old 2.8 CRD (which was a 4-cyl).

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/13 3:04 p.m.

No, the previous GC's (you are talking about 2007-2008 right?) were Mercedes 3.0 diesels. In the Aussie Jeep forums, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews. There is a chipmaker getting something like 275hp in the UK, but for the life of me I can't find the damn website. Banks did a buildup of the engine for military use I think also and had good things to say about it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/14/13 3:17 p.m.

The Bluetec V6 was a really punchy motor that made the GC scoot pretty good, but typical Mercedes in that you hoped like hell it didn't blow up. The service literature came down to basically if it needed anything inside: crank, rods, pistons, cams, etc they were not meant to be replaced individually- and a long block was ~$30K US.

The VM 4 banger wasn't a bad motor. It was prone to EGR system clogging and the power pulses combined with high torque output would destroy the transmission torque converter. Before they were neutered to keep the transmission alive, they were actually pretty quick and got great fuel mileage.

Its other drawback was it did NOT like biodiesel. The piezoelectric injectors would give up pretty quick when it was used and were ~$875 apiece.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/13 3:25 p.m.

I find it funny that VM is owned jointly by GM and Fiat. Allegedly the motor was developed for GM usage, but they decided against it.

Anyone find any more detailed mileage information? Like is the 30mpg highway for the 4wd/AWD model? I'm pretty excited about this- the ability to tow and get decent mileage (probably not at the same time ) is very tempting.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/14/13 4:00 p.m.

Speaking of joint ventures: there's a big plant in Strasbourg, France which makes a whole bunch of slushboxes. It's owned by GM but it builds transmissions for Ford, Chrysler etc. It's currently for sale.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/May/0509_strasbourg.html

BMW, GM and Chrysler collaborated on a hybrid powertrain to be used in both the Suburban and the Durango. As it turned out, only GM actually sold any appreciable number of them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-09-08/business/0509080219_1_accord-hybrid-dual-mode-gas-engine

It's possible that the newest BMW hybrids do use some of what was developed there.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/14/13 4:21 p.m.

If you have the time you can custom order from Dodge. Takes 4-8 weeks for delivery. Not really advertised but they will do it no problem.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
1/14/13 4:28 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Anyone find any more detailed mileage information? Like is the 30mpg highway for the 4wd/AWD model? I'm pretty excited about this- the ability to tow and get decent mileage (probably not at the same time ) is very tempting.

I read somewhere that the RWD is 21/30 and the 4WD is 20/28. Not sure where I read that or where they were getting those figures.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/14/13 5:04 p.m.

Put it in a wrangler based single cab pickup and I'll care. A lot. Until then it's about as relavent to me as a Porsche Cayenne diesel. Not very.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
1/14/13 5:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm hoping that will end up in a half-ton pickup too. Excellent.

I think I'd like it in a Grand Caravan . . .

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/14/13 5:39 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The Bluetec V6 was a really punchy motor that made the GC scoot pretty good, but typical Mercedes in that you hoped like hell it didn't blow up. The service literature came down to basically if it needed anything inside: crank, rods, pistons, cams, etc they were not meant to be replaced individually- and a long block was ~$30K US. The VM 4 banger wasn't a bad motor. It was prone to EGR system clogging and the power pulses combined with high torque output would destroy the transmission torque converter. Before they were neutered to keep the transmission alive, they were actually pretty quick and got great fuel mileage. Its other drawback was it did NOT like biodiesel. The piezoelectric injectors would give up pretty quick when it was used and were ~$875 apiece.

The EGR issues of the VM motor are pretty much cured in the aftermarket.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

They are pretty tempting with decent offroad and 30mpg when eco tuned and the EGR stuff cleaned up. I am not sure the cargo space is any better than our matrix tho

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
161Z85RnWSHWWDoF2fwkjiiG4eOGFwuEPfEpcuW6dSYKY29LP6y06GMZ6WGVAjNc