1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/28/23 12:53 p.m.
feature_image

How’s this for an all-star team heading to Le Mans for the Garage 56 entry? Jimmie Johnson. Mike Rockenfeller. Jenson Button. There’s a lot of hardware behind those names.

ICYMI, the Garage 56 entry for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans will use a modified version of the current Ch…

Read the rest of the story

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/28/23 9:51 p.m.

That's all no pictures no more in depth info regarding this venture......seriously?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/29/23 1:17 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Details are scant. They have not finalized the design of the car, yet, but that information will be coming soon.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
1/30/23 7:47 a.m.
759NRNG said:

That's all no pictures no more in depth info regarding this venture......seriously?

No, it's not for sale....I'm gonna restore it.

Youtube has some videos of the Garage 56 Camaro running at VIR and Sebring. They added a bunch of aero improvements and the exhaust sounds way different. Its lighter, more powerful and has better aero than the current "Next Gen" cup car. The Garage 56 car was 10 seconds faster than a cup car at VIR on Full Course.

Chad Knaus is the lead on the car and as most know has the rulebook wide open and finding those grey areas. 

Either way, check out youtube for the Garage 56 updates.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/30/23 8:55 a.m.

Really surprised Jeff Gordon didn't make the lineup. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
1/30/23 10:16 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I would imagine they need a 4th driver, perhaps he has a chance.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
1/30/23 10:37 a.m.

Car looks legit, this is one of the iterations they have tested, not sure if it is the latest or final design.  Seen at the Rolex 24 hr.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/30/23 12:28 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Really surprised Jeff Gordon didn't make the lineup. 

He is a far better road racer then Jimmie that's for sure. Jimmy even in nascar wasn't very good on road courses. Ofcourse Jeff might be too busy as he's in management at hendrick and being groomed as Ricks replacement.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
1/30/23 1:42 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

Car looks legit, this is one of the iterations they have tested, not sure if it is the latest or final design.  Seen at the Rolex 24 hr.

The newer version looks nearly the same but has a huge canard on the 3/4 panel right where the Chevrolet logo is placed. The rear spoiler is also taller on the newer one with a transparent panel above the black portion of the spoiler.

Super excited to see this car perform at the 24. I hope they last the entire race and place well within the GT categories. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/30/23 1:51 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
JesseWolfe said:

The newer version looks nearly the same but has a huge canard on the 3/4 panel right where the Chevrolet logo is placed. The rear spoiler is also taller on the newer one with a transparent panel above the black portion of the spoiler.

Super excited to see this car perform at the 24. I hope they last the entire race and place well within the GT categories. 

I'm interested in how much power it will be making and if they'll really be running Goodyears on it. Outside of NASCAR, do they make a performance tire at all? Like something GRMers would through on a track day toy? I feel like that might be the critical piece in them placing well at all, pending any other issues. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/30/23 1:56 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
kevinatfms said:
JesseWolfe said:

I'm interested in how much power it will be making and if they'll really be running Goodyears on it. Outside of NASCAR, do they make a performance tire at all? Like something GRMers would through on a track day toy? I feel like that might be the critical piece in them placing well at all, pending any other issues. 

They supply the sole lmp2 tire in wec.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
1/30/23 2:40 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
kevinatfms said:
JesseWolfe said:

[...]

Yes.  I think the Supercar3 is the main tire in that range?  Did pretty well on the factory supported (as it happens) Camaro that competed in OneLap last year.  The ZL1 Camaro finished in 11th overall, and while it didn't do "great" on the wet skidpad (50th [of 84] on there, although they did beat a well-shoed GT500)... it did notch 7th place on the dry skidpad.

only trick is, that it's oriented to bigger/heavier cars... and as such is primarily available in 18inch and bigger diameters, and 245+ widths.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/30/23 3:15 p.m.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/1/23 1:02 p.m.

NASCAR just posted a youtube short of the updated car with headlights and a wiper. 

Interesting to see that they aren't using airjacks and also will be using the traditional NASCAR style refueling setup. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/1/23 1:15 p.m.

They claim they have matched gtd times now but mind you this car is making a lot more power then a gt3 car. And for that matter at some tracks Daytona in particular a trans am ta1 car was almost as fast as a gtlm car.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/1/23 1:50 p.m.

I wonder if the hope here is to eventually mash NASCAR and other IMSA series together while using the same chassis? They already sorta do that with the normal NASCAR setups on road courses, but perhaps this a step closer to that end. 

Even if the cup cars just used endurance races as testing grounds or a specific class limited in field size, I wonder how other teams would feel about even a small group of such cars on track with GTP and GT3 cars? 

As someone who used to watch NASCAR alot and loved watching the road courses, but hasn't watch an entire race in probably a decade, I'm genuinely pretty impressed with how many road courses are in the current season. This Le Man entry has to be more than just a one off. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/1/23 3:50 p.m.

I think they are just trying to prove that the Grand-Am Tube Frame Prototype was far superior than people thought. 

A cross-over race doesn't seeem out of the realm of possibilities for the circus that NASCAR is. 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
2/4/23 5:58 p.m.

I'm disappointed in GM and Chevrolet. How can they choose 3 old white guys as the driver line up?

Diversity, and Inclusion these are huge in corporate America right now and they get shoved in employee's faces weekly. There is no excuse for not choosing a more exciting diverse driver line up.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
2/4/23 7:15 p.m.
bruceman said:

I'm disappointed in GM and Chevrolet. How can they choose 3 old white guys as the driver line up?

Diversity, and Inclusion these are huge in corporate America right now and they get shoved in employee's faces weekly. There is no excuse for not choosing a more exciting diverse driver line up.

Seriously?

Want my honest opinion? (No? Well, Im posting it anyway)

They need to think about WINNING and not diversity. What non-white guy or what female would be better for this (and available)?

Equality is great, but if the best available happens to be three white dudes then that's what they need to go with. I know, they arent going to get an overall win, and they may not even be able to get any sort of podium being they are a G56 car (I dont know how it works, honestly, for that class), but they need to think about a good showing in the race.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
2/4/23 8:11 p.m.

Garage 56 is in a class of 1 so they win whoever is driving.

The only good showing Chevrolet is concerned about is with Corvette. Most likely this is all about NASCAR swinging its dick on the international scene.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
2/4/23 8:59 p.m.

Then Nascar wants the best possible for their showing.

To heck with diversity, you go with the best. Be it names that will garner the attention or just great road course drivers. They did that.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
2/5/23 2:12 p.m.

Not only did they choose three great drivers, but think of the world-wide publicity they'll get having Button on the team.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
2/6/23 7:51 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

A cross-over race doesn't seeem out of the realm of possibilities for the circus that NASCAR is

After watching the Clash last night the bold highlighted text is the perfect description of what i saw. What a freaking joke that broadcast was.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
2/6/23 8:54 a.m.

I read that Rockenfeller was able to put down a better time than the new GT3 vette during practice at Daytona.

Garage 56 Camaro, Daytona Test Wrap-up

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
2/19/23 11:55 a.m.

some interesting discussion of the car here (link with timestamp to Garage56 stuff):

also gives a little better idea of the how/why of Jimmy Johnson & Mike Rockenfeller being "drop in" drivers for this effort.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4XLRA1cOGG5eer2YR9Zh2D7S8xBvqtFv6hgzWagFyNLgRKvwlGR28AHIdoPu9qKs