1 2
Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
10/19/17 9:08 a.m.

So we all know by now that a Miata is "The Answer". And like any good GRM'er I have owned a couple, in fact a 1990 Miata is sitting in the driveway right now. Good for whatever ails you, from autocrosses to top down summer cruises. Perfect as it came from Mazda or with more modifications then you can shake a stick at.

But what if you need to drive, I mean distance, interstate type traveling. Well a Miata will do it, but we all know you will feel a little worse for wear and tear, so a Panther is your go-to easy button. A big sofa on wheels propelled by a V8 that lopes along at 2000rpm going 70mph. I bought one for my 30 mile per day commute and I arrive at work or home feeling relaxed and refreshed.

Now what about when the road disappears, what are you going to do? It might be covered by 8" of snow, or there might not be a road just a path through trees and over rocks. Jeep Cherokee XJ, thats what you do! A real 4WD with an inline 6 cylinder, made in the USA 20 years before BMW made the X3. So I just bought a rust free XJ from Colorado to deal with winter.

And the only reason I'm writing this post is 'cause you may know somebody in a similar situation.

Or you may be in a similar situation, and if you're in a situation like that, there's only one thing you can do:

Join the GRM Hat Trick Movement

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's got a car problem and report him to the HOA

And if two people do it, they may think they're both chop shops and report them to the police.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people owning a Miata, Cherokee and Panther at the same time? They may think it's an Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people? I said FIFTY people owning a Miata, Cherokee and Panther? Friends, they may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE GRM HAT TRICK MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to buy a few cheap cars next time they come around on Craigslist (with feelin')

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/19/17 9:24 a.m.

and we can All met up at Alice's Restaurant.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
10/19/17 9:26 a.m.

Solid Argo Guthrie tribute.  A+, would read again!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
10/19/17 9:41 a.m.

Here I thought I would never get a chance to use up my excess "This Machine Kills Property Values" bumper stickers.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
10/19/17 10:09 a.m.

I always thought the grm trifecta was miata, panther, safari van?  Oh well, either way I have it covered. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/19/17 10:15 a.m.

Two out of three ain't bad. Still trying to convince the wife that a grampanther would be "fun".

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/19/17 10:22 a.m.

You got a lot a damn gall to ask me if I've bought a Miata, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm sitting here on the bench, I mean I'm sitting here on the GRM bench 'cause you want to know if I'm man enough to buy a Miata, lower it, race it around, and enjoy it after owning an MR2??

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/19/17 10:30 a.m.

Well, I might not have the same vehicles, but I agree with the idea.  I have a Fiesta ST for autocrossing and general enjoying the act of driving.  When the weather turns warm, I hop on the motorcycle.  So together, we'll call them my Miata. 

When I need to haul the family or head out on a long road trip, I hop into my Kia Rondo.  Spacious, relaxed, cheap, reliable, big trunk, chick retardant, and I can tow a small trailer with it. We'll call it my Crown Vic.  

When the weather turns foul, I jump into my Cherokee XJ.  (OK, for this one there is no substitute except for a K5 Blazer with vinyl bench seats. ) 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/19/17 10:55 a.m.

I've sold my Miata, but am on the lookout for another.

My Suburban seats all 6 of us so I choose that as my replacement for the the XJ.

I should probably be on the lookout for a Panther......

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
10/19/17 10:28 p.m.

I totally got the Alice's Restaurant reference.  Had to read it, and the replies to my wife. "You guys are all about the same age!"

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/20/17 12:54 a.m.

I've got a Miata and a Grand Marquis. I'll substitute my Duramax 2500HD, because it can basically drag a Cherokee up and down any terrain. cheeky

However, the Panther is not the most comfortable long distance car I own. Yes, it drives like a V8 Barcolounger, but its seats offer no support.  It's very uncomfortable for a long haul. 

I also own an Elantra.  It's much more comfortable than the Panther on a long haul. 

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/20/17 1:14 a.m.

I own an Answer. I have owned an 03 Crown Vic. My dad has owned a  couple Cherokees and I used them a lot. I think I'm the club.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
10/20/17 6:20 a.m.

Hmmm, guess I need to buy a Panther. Got a Miata and a couple XJ's already. Wonder how I can convince the wife?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/20/17 6:48 a.m.

I have the XJ and the Panther. I'll have to pass on the Miata though. 

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
10/20/17 7:06 a.m.

Ok but what if somebody managed get all of these into one vehicle?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/17 7:32 a.m.

I have my own sort of trifecta. An FR-S For long trips and rainy days, an 87 4Runner for winter, and Honda TwinStar for everything else. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/20/17 8:01 a.m.

I remember the trifecta being Miata, Panther, and E30...  funny how it changes over time.

I replaced an E30 with a Miata.   May end up looking to replace the Miata with a tow pig though.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
10/20/17 8:05 a.m.

Only one I've had is the Miata, but I do have some 8x10 color glossy photographs of it with circles and arrows on the back.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
10/20/17 11:25 a.m.

You make it sound like we're a cult or something. . .

Well, we do have our own magazine.

And dress code.

And fearless leader who only a select few have met. . . who is represented by a photo of a strange, hairless animal.

There's talk of members randomly vanishing.

We have our own titles of honor and language which are unrecognizable to the outside world.

surprise - Total "Hotel California" moment.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/20/17 11:54 a.m.

I had a miata, and I think the panther, before I knew the grm trifecta was a thing. 

Have not had a Cherokee. Had a 4wd MPV which the previous owner drew comparisons to his son's cherokee (Said the MPV was better in deep snow) but those are not very common. Certainly not trifecta material. 

Dont really forsee a circumstance where I would ever need a cherokee, so I guess 2 out of 3 aint bad. 

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/20/17 1:39 p.m.

As I'm old & cheap I make do with an MGB & a Suburban. Plus the'burb can also pull a race trailer & make a trash run.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
10/20/17 2:44 p.m.

I have a Jeep Wrangler, a 1st gen CRX and an SN95 Mustang GT.

And I vape.

I'm a member of the dudebro club and I didn't even know it surprise

No wonder I'm single cool

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
10/20/17 3:11 p.m.

I'm rocking the "Fairmont/96 F-150/14 Impala (Fairmont/Fairmont/79 F-150)" Tri (sex?)-fecta at the moment. No room for Miatae or Cherokees. The Impala is one hell of a speed couch, though. 

Rodan
Rodan Reader
10/20/17 4:21 p.m.

I guess I got it wrong...  I thought a hat trick was three Miatas...??  cheeky

I do have a Bronco for getting dirty, and our interstate cruiser is a crew dually Cummins, as we're usually towing something when traveling interstate.  Don't think the Panther could hack what the Ram pulls around.

parker
parker Reader
10/20/17 9:03 p.m.

What the hell is a Panther?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dqkRg7BtcXEz4LdjgqnDUFAVPewWhbJg1kAFttJ8UNjgun9xIsWSQacPMJn0XjAJ