1 2 3
ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/3/23 3:07 p.m.

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm starting this thread to announce that 3 of us long-time GRM forum members, SingleSlammer (Jordan), Psteav (Alan), and myself (Alex) have been working on a podcast project we're calling “Junk Connoisseurs.”

The three of us enjoy getting together and talking about cars. We have so much fun that we decided we'd record our conversations and see if it would be entertaining to others as well. Frankly, the GRM forum crowd is our target demographic. We're inspired by people and things we see here and think that if anyone would enjoy our discussions, they would probably be here ;)

Our format so far is that one of us picks a vehicle model or platform to discuss (the other two don't know what it is at the beginning of the session) and our conversation ensues. We'll talk about endearing vehicles and we'll talk about terrible ones.

We'd love to have you listen along and hopefully it's enjoyable and/or entertaining.

We had to start somewhere...so these first few episodes have some less-than-ideal qualities to them. Future episodes, we hope, will show some development in sound quality, technique, etc.

Here's a link to our first episode: https://www.buzzsprout.com/2100717/11961660

It should be live in most places that you'd listen to a podcast as well.  Just search "Junk Connoisseurs."

Thanks!

Alex "ClemSparks" Maginness

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/3/23 4:07 p.m.

It has been fun to make. Hopefully others think it is worth a listen.

moxnix
moxnix Dork
1/3/23 4:27 p.m.

I'll give it a listen on the commute

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/3/23 4:29 p.m.

In reply to moxnix :

The order may be a little messed up so start with "We are car nerds" followed by "On the rack - All about poor engineering choices" if you are still interested. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/3/23 7:38 p.m.

I laughed out loud several times and now want iRacing to do a lemons series so that a citation II is added to the game. 

The potential with guest to cover so many platforms is amazing. You guys are like GRM meets Mr. Regular meets The Autopian meets Murilee all mixed together in podcast form. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/3/23 8:45 p.m.

Subscribed!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/3/23 8:55 p.m.

Thanks gang! I am glad that you are enjoying it. So far, we have 5 episodes and 2 bonus sorted out in various stages of completion. 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
1/3/23 9:16 p.m.

I am almost done with the first one.  I already am trying to talk to you guys in the middle of it.  Fun stuff so far.  When do you need guests to talk about obscure stuff?

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/4/23 10:27 a.m.
nocones said:

I am almost done with the first one.  I already am trying to talk to you guys in the middle of it.  Fun stuff so far.  When do you need guests to talk about obscure stuff?

Eh, when do you want to drive to Missouri?  We're still noobs on the tech stuff, although Alex and Jordan are learning quickly.  I don't know if we're ready for a guest that's not live in studio with us yet.

I would also say that we're always looking for construcive criticism.   We don't know what we don't know, and helpful advice is something that I think all three of us would appreciate...at least when it comes to podcasting.  The fact that we're all set in our opinions regarding cars is what makes this E36 M3 funny, IMO.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/4/23 10:43 a.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Given what is in Nocones garage, I am up for a road trip. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/4/23 10:59 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

now want iRacing to do a lemons series so that a citation II is added to the game. 

This is a very real possibility in Assetto Corsa.  Come join us!

Going to download and listen to this podcast later this week.  Posting here so I remember it :)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/4/23 12:03 p.m.

Will be listening. In my que. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/4/23 5:49 p.m.

We sure do appreciate all the folks who are willing to listen!

I'm in the early stages of editing what will be our 5th full episode now.  This is our first time using some new audio equipment (brought to you by Carl's Jr.).   This is definitely going to step up the audio quality for future episodes.  Stick with us if you like the content!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/4/23 6:38 p.m.

I've done #1 and it's encouraged me to do #2.

I'll add #1 to my list of all the podcasts I listen to about the fwd Pontiac Phoenix, the Iron Duke and Chevettes, etc. devil

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/4/23 8:01 p.m.

Subscribed on Spotify. I have headphones in pretty much all day, and Ive been looking for another one or two to add into the rotation because I notice im running out towards the end of the day. Ill listen to them tomorrow.

A buddy did this a couple years ago had some early success and someone broke in and stole all the equipment, along with like 3 episodes in the process of being edited, and it killed it for them. I think Keith was even on one of their early episodes.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/4/23 10:28 p.m.
John Welsh said:

While I can say that I don't think any of us expected that this  would be one effect our podcast would have on folks...we'll take the wins where we can.  We're happy to encourage you and others to do #2!

wink  (thanks for the kind words and support!)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/5/23 10:56 a.m.

Listened to them all and subscribed via RSS. The fake ads for old cars have a lot of potential laugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/23 11:03 a.m.
ClemSparks said:
John Welsh said:

Re-reading my words there is an interesting bathroom double entendre! devil

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/23 11:11 a.m.

I'm curious to learn as to how Carl's Jr came to provide the improved audio equipment :lol: I gave episode #2 (teaser alert: Yugos) a listen last night. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/5/23 11:17 a.m.

I listened to episode #1 and it's like GRM Forum - The Podcast. And I mean that in the best possible way.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/5/23 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

It is an Idiocracy joke. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/5/23 12:48 p.m.

Listened to both of them this morning, while walking a junkyard. I enjoyed them, so you got added to my rotation. I want to hear about the Quad4, seems right up yalls alley

calteg
calteg SuperDork
1/5/23 5:05 p.m.

Listened to EP1 this morning, loved it. I laughed several times, it shows a lot of promise!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/5/23 5:08 p.m.

Holy moly folks...this is fantastic.  Thanks, really, for all the feedback (and that it's positive is just the thing, lol!)

I'll reply individually to a few below.

Thanks again!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/5/23 5:10 p.m.
John Welsh said:
ClemSparks said:
John Welsh said:

Re-reading my words there is an interesting bathroom double entendre! devil

By episode #2 you'll probably figure out that we don't mind a good ententre in any number 2 or larger.  Thanks again for the support!  :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48k8bth5cToN5O0G8rtr6xdxnnaKsBHsjqDXidF8TImKvk4GMISYPBql7iZ82LUq