Clay
Clay Reader
11/18/09 7:57 a.m.

The local U-pull-it junkyard here in Jacksonville, Fl is having a sale that I thought I would pass along in case anyone is interested. It's a $75 All You Can Carry Junkathon. I'm sure it's because of the large number of CFC cars they have. There are several restrictions (no engines, etc), but it's still a pretty good deal if you need some parts. Sale ends Sunday.

The website is searchable to see if they have what you want. I was there Sat with a buddy and there was a nice Red 300ZX twin turbo, several Lexus LS400's, tons of SUV's that looked to be in great shape. All thanks to CFC, plus the usual wrecked cars.

They even have a 25yd length marked off you must be able to carry your load. My coworker saw a little guy carry a pickup bed the full length by himself. Looked like a turtle.

I grabbed a waterneck, a TPS, and some wiring pigtails and spent $45. If I had more time/money I would have participated myself.

More info here: http://www.acepickapart.com/

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
11/18/09 8:03 a.m.
Clay wrote: They even have a 25yd length marked off you must be able to carry your load. My coworker saw a little guy carry a pickup bed the full length by himself. Looked like a turtle.

OK, that is amazing. I love it when the local yards do silly stuff like this.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/18/09 8:33 a.m.

We've had guys carry out smallblocks on those days out here. They train all year, get all roided out, and usually make something out of car parts to let them carry two V8s across their shoulders like a yoke.

Ours always ends up like a circus. Highly entertaining. I never participate, because i always just need a bunch of little stuff that they usually just let me have for $5, and carrying $75 worth of it all would require about 30 hands.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/18/09 8:56 a.m.

Without making a fancy contraption:

Remove carpet from large van. Load up carpet w/parts. Drag carpet.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/18/09 9:00 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Without making a fancy contraption: Remove carpet from large van. Load up carpet w/parts. Drag carpet.

Unfortunately, they take "Carry" pretty seriously here.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
11/18/09 9:01 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Without making a fancy contraption: Remove carpet from large van. Load up carpet w/parts. Drag carpet.

But is dragging carrying?

S2Fella
S2Fella New Reader
11/18/09 11:34 a.m.

Years ago my local junkyard did that, but it was only $25 for all you could carry or $40 for all you could drag. I got a very nice set of Saab alloy rims for that $40, plus some other bits and pieces (I dragged them on a spare hood they had lying around). Possibly the best automotive bargain purchase I have ever made.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/18/09 12:09 p.m.

Shorty's in PA used to do $35 all you could carry and $85 all you can drag. I drug a TON of E36 M3 through there. One time I had two giant hoods piled 4ft high and a tarp full of the light stuff, dragging it all train style. By the time I got all of it ready to drag, I had a group of probably 30 people watching. I did it on the 2nd try. It was like something from the worlds strongest man contests, except with a skinny white guy instead. I went back the next day and got two complete engines, put them on a car hood, tied seat belts to it and drug it across the line. Someone actually came up to me and said "there's no way you'll be able to drag all that across!", and the guy working there just laughed and said "you should have seen what he did yesterday!". I was like some local star/freak of nature for a day.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/18/09 12:18 p.m.

Awesome.

slefain
slefain Dork
11/18/09 12:59 p.m.

I think i just found some freelance work for my freakishly big cousins...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/18/09 1:06 p.m.

What is the heaviest single part you can think of? Bench seat from a van? Transmission from an F-250? 8-liter Cadillac engine block? I wonder.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
11/18/09 1:22 p.m.

Been to Shorty's and done the same thing. Dragging a hood is the way to go.

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/18/09 1:25 p.m.

Man, I wish our local yards had something like that.

Anyone know of anywhere in Texas that has anything like that? I know LKQ in Houston has half-price days on the first of the year.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
11/18/09 3:41 p.m.

I'd go grab a bunch of late-model air bags. Could easily carry 10+ and they pull a decent amount on ebay.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
11/18/09 3:53 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Shorty's in PA used to do $35 all you could carry and $85 all you can drag.

Those days were awesome. Just as awesome as a spectators event as a way to get cheap stuff. Best i ever did myself was a complete turbo dodge cylinder head/intake/exh. manifold/turbo. Tied seatbelts to it and slung it between my legs and hobbled across the line.

My buddy, we tied a Daytona seat to his back like a backpack, then filled the seat area up w/ all the little light stuff. Then hung a Daytona door on each of his shoulders and i think he carried more light stuff in his hands.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/18/09 4:03 p.m.

Cool, Thanks for the heads up, I have avoided that place mostly because of their normally astronomical prices but this might make a trip worthwhile.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/18/09 4:23 p.m.

I hate all of you. You can't even walk behind the front counter of any of the yards around here.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
11/18/09 4:27 p.m.
Woody wrote: I hate all of you. You can't even walk behind the front counter of any of the yards around here.

same here

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/20/09 5:16 p.m.

I went today, it was perfect weather for junkyarding, overcast upper 70's! I started off with a pile of parts then decided to pare it down to a few items that I absolutely needed that I thought I could get out of there with for about $50, turned out to be $80 so I picked them up and carried them across the line to save $5 LOL. Oh well, I got the MAF I needed to make the check engine light go away on the E36, and some other parts I needed for it and I had a fun time so I don't feel all that bad. But yeah don't bother ever trying to pay full price for anything at that yard, its a joke, go to the u-pull on Normandy.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
11/20/09 6:29 p.m.

Pull-A-Part FTMFW. I call it "the happiest place on earth" .Check out those engine prices and weep if there isn't one within a days drive of you.

Absolutely everything needed to convert my 89 745t from autotragic to manual for $120. Complete interior with seats and dash for $180.

My last manual conversion was $250 but I've since learned a secret: talk to the manager before you pull the parts and you can get a price for everything as a package rather than every little piece added together. The interior would have been $250+ due to the huge number of small trim parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mBMJJm54H8GWO2AcZI195yXwUe1mQaIJloD2cRv85MSBYMRrfQg2V9TRrH6JZZPJ