1 2
EricM
EricM Dork
11/16/09 1:12 p.m.

AWESOME!

I wasn't sure at first but the embeded video really makes a difference! I like it, I like it a lot!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/16/09 1:15 p.m.

mine has a loading icon that keeps going around in circles... making me dizzy...

splitime
splitime Reader
11/16/09 1:18 p.m.

Just started reading mine. All my computer memory belongs to GRM currently though. It ate memory up fast!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/16/09 1:24 p.m.

HTTP request error Unable to load WSDL. If currently online, please verify the URI and/or format of the WSDL Server.Error.Request

it didn't do anything, but I got that message.

And poor Tim can't be re sized up to full splendor.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/16/09 1:30 p.m.

I'll forward that warning to the proper authorities.

And, sadly, the embedded video can't be resized as it's built in to the pages in this format. All of the video content will be on our YouTube channel sometime in the not too distant future however.

jg

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/16/09 2:42 p.m.

I got the same warning as pinchvalve but after a few seconds mine finished loading and has worked fine.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/16/09 3:05 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: And poor Tim can't be re sized up to full splendor.

Why would you want to?

I have found a serious error in the digital version. There is no scroll bar at the bottom of the videos so that you can fast forward or reverse. I am having to listen to JJ for the third time as when I click around as he's explaining the features of the reader some of those clicks take me other places or start me over. I can't grab the scroll bar and get back to the spot where I last left the excitement.

JG Pasterjak
11/16/09 3:19 p.m.

That's another limitation of the embedded video. The player provided by the digital version is very basic, which, our provider tells us, helps keep it as platform-independent as possible.

jg

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/16/09 3:31 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: That's another limitation of the embedded video. The player provided by the digital version is very basic, which, our provider tells us, helps keep it as platform-independent as possible. jg

Well I had to watch you 3 times - it wasn't pretty!!

Now what was that game playing on your desktop covering up your digital issue?

Another Q? Why do we have to watch an ad to see a video? We already have a magazine full of ads to look thru to get to the video.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/16/09 3:36 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Looked like WoW to me on the computer. And video ads equal more money for the best car magazine out there. I'm cool with that.

JG Pasterjak
11/16/09 3:37 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: That's another limitation of the embedded video. The player provided by the digital version is very basic, which, our provider tells us, helps keep it as platform-independent as possible. jg
Well I had to watch you 3 times - it wasn't pretty!! Think how it is for the folks who have to work in the office next to me. I've sent a message to our printer and they're looking into the slowdown and memory use issues people are having, as well as the video player. Now what was that game playing on your desktop covering up your digital issue? World of Warcraft. No I won't link you my Armory page so you can make fun of my gear. Another Q? Why do we have to watch an ad to see a video? We already have a magazine full of ads to look thru to get to the video. Hey, we gotta eat.
alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
11/16/09 4:26 p.m.

Is this the "problems" page, too? I've tried a total of 5 times, and all 5 times, it locked up. 4 times in IE, once in Firefox.

Not sure what's the deal, but even when it was "working" it was painfully slow.

I sure hope I get the paper version. Not able to read the digital version.

Eric

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/16/09 4:37 p.m.

Check the ad before the video on page 52. Cracks me up. Better than the video that follows

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/16/09 5:03 p.m.

I just looked at it on the 10-year-old iMac G3 I keep at home for when I want to check e-mail, but am too lazy to get my laptop. Running Firefox 2.00.02 on our BellSouth DSL, this old computer usually can't handle YouTube videos or real complex pages. (For an idea of how slow it is, it loads our forum, but I have to type l_i_k_e t_h_i_s to post, pausing between letters, or I get ahead of it.)

Page load was fine on the digital edition after I got past the initial hump--it took probably a minute to load the e-pub before I could see the first page, some shorter loading times after that. (That's about what I expect on this boat anchor.) I was able to watch our videos better than it handles most online video, because it simply streamed the voices and let me see a few way-behind stuttered images. Annoying, but again, better than hearing a 3-syllable word stretched out for 30 seconds or more, which is what I usually get.

No bombs, no lockups.

Margie

ansonivan
ansonivan Reader
11/16/09 7:39 p.m.

Just reading though it now, awesome idea guys, I love all the little embedded videos.

I'm sure I'll find something to complain about later but for now it's all new, exciting and fun.

Lolz at the hairy stuttering guy

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
11/17/09 7:06 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I just looked at it on the 10-year-old iMac G3 I keep at home for when I want to check e-mail, but am too lazy to get my laptop. Running Firefox 2.00.02 on our BellSouth DSL, this old computer usually can't handle YouTube videos or real complex pages. (For an idea of how slow it is, it loads our forum, but I have to type l_i_k_e t_h_i_s to post, pausing between letters, or I get ahead of it.) Page load was fine on the digital edition after I got past the initial hump--it took probably a minute to load the e-pub before I could see the first page, some shorter loading times after that. (That's about what I expect on this boat anchor.) I was able to watch our videos better than it handles most online video, because it simply streamed the voices and let me see a few way-behind stuttered images. Annoying, but again, better than hearing a 3-syllable word stretched out for 30 seconds or more, which is what I usually get. No bombs, no lockups. Margie

Well, not sure how you running fast on a slow machine helps my machine run any faster, but it really doesn't. Just sayin. I really do want to read it, and enjoy it, but it appears technical details are thwarting my effort.

Also, thought I was golden this morning at work- just was "thumbing" through it- got all the way to page 67, and while some of the pages took a while to load, trying to get to the next page caused a crash. IE 7.0 just shut down. It was so fast, I didn't even get a chance to read the error.

Oh, well, I'll just be a tree killer.

Eric

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/17/09 9:45 a.m.

Could someone give me a link to the digital issue? I can't find it, but probably just overlooked it.

Thanks, Will

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/17/09 10:01 a.m.

Yep. That reminds me. I haven't gotten pm's in awhile. Could someone send me a test pm?

TJ
TJ HalfDork
11/17/09 10:23 a.m.

mrwillie, the link was emailed, not PM'ed. Mine was in my junk mail folder FWIW.

I am just happy that I've been published. Sure it's only in the "Say What?" section, but it's good to know that smart ass commenting can pay off.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/17/09 10:29 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: Could someone give me a link to the digital issue? I can't find it, but probably just overlooked it. Thanks, Will

The link is http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/digital/

Margie

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/17/09 10:36 a.m.

Thanks Mrs. Margie.

924guy
924guy Dork
11/17/09 11:09 a.m.

digital copy GOOD... but now im going to have to buy a new battery for the laptop to make it portable again, so i can read it errm, conveniently... (read the "starting line" page 8 of the digicopy if you dont get it..)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/17/09 8:16 p.m.

Please don't read my column on the john. It creeps me out to think about that.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/17/09 8:19 p.m.

Tim, where do you think we read the paper copies?

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/17/09 9:27 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Please don't read my column on the john. It creeps me out to think about that.

Don't worry, I didn't think anyone read your column, they go straight to the good stuff.

Wait, I think I should have posted this under an assumed name because now my subscription will mysteriously disappear.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UQNT8PhUEVt7YMb8K44Y4WJvBuLiPF9C2uD3CkF47r5QTItrIIkhAuloR9D6lMHp