joedierte
joedierte None
8/13/17 10:20 p.m.

I believe it was done by Converse Engineering in Maine years ago. Its a 85 240 with a 5.0 HO motor paired with a auto (not sure if its a AOD or some volvo trans).

I found it as I was browsing craiglist planning on grabbing a older shell and eventually doing a SBC swap, but noticed it was already packing a EFI 302. It was about an hour away here in CT. It doesnt run but we cranked it over with a jump pack and the motor sounded normal. I crossed my fingers and put it on the flatbed.

The body is a little rough on the lower portions near the rockers but I can get that taken care of. It was filled with a combo of old Volvo service manuals/receipts/acorns/garbage. Car ran a few years ago and he lost spark/interest so it just sat. Its gonna need some work in the body/brakes/interior smell department. But if I can get it running ill be pretty motivated after that.

Im somewhat familiar with the older Ford motors. My last car was a 88 thunderbird turbo coupe with a PIMP (megasquirt) ECU setup I put in. Ive had a few fox body mustangs as well but nothing crazy.

The one thing im kinda disappointed about is that its an Automatic however down the road a T5 swap is gonna happen unless I find a better trans for cheap. And I have no clue what auto trans is in it yet.

joedierte
joedierte New Reader
8/13/17 10:21 p.m.

Continued...

Im impressed they maintained the AC though. I have a mystery switch under the steering wheel that I have no idea's purpose is. I see the Fan switch for the AC which is self explanatory.

Anyways on to some pics: Time to evict the creatures The money shot Cancer ahhhhh

WTF is this switch for?

So its not horrrrrible but its not great either lol. Anyone know what year mustangs he was pulling these motors out of? Anyone know what trans they used? I cant wait to get this thing fired up and actually move it on its own power.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/13/17 10:34 p.m.

Nice find!!!!!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
8/14/17 12:00 a.m.

Assuming it's not been modded, it has a MAF sensor, so it's between an 88(cali only; 89 everywhere) and a 93 mustang.

If the trans is a Ford, it would likely be an AOD, and have "metric" stamped in big letters on the pan. May help as a quick way to ID the trans

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/14/17 9:05 a.m.

If it's from a mustang i think it's more likely to be an a4ld, sadly. I mean, if it works it works but an AOD is more likely to work. Easy to id them after a minute of google image searching.

Neat car!

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
8/14/17 9:40 a.m.

Awesome car. Will be following along!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
8/14/17 10:47 a.m.
Vigo wrote: If it's from a mustang i think it's more likely to be an a4ld, sadly. I mean, if it works it works but an AOD is more likely to work. Easy to id them after a minute of google image searching. Neat car!

Only the non V8 mustangs used the A4LD. Assuming the engine donor is the same as the trans donor, it should be an AOD

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
8/14/17 10:51 a.m.

DEER-tay? Man, it's just plain DIRT!

Welcome aboard. Nice find!

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/14/17 1:15 p.m.

That's gonna be fun!

Needs a 'puffer'!

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with David Letterman

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/14/17 1:21 p.m.

I know where there is one just sitting for the last year. Was in good shape apart from needing a wiring harness a year ago when I went for a drive, but not so sure what a year of sitting with the window open has done.

Wanted $1500 Cnd last I heard. ( about 1275 USd ) I thought of it as a possible challenge car.

Edit... the car local to me is a sedan, not a wagon.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/14/17 1:42 p.m.

Try to start with that mystery switch in all positions. It could be like the fuel pump or something.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/14/17 2:15 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Try to start with that mystery switch in all positions. It could be like the fuel pump or something.

Or water pump?

Money shot lol!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e06uWGBdMfCAiK8vEcHcwI1VowwO1RZmSarWNBe5U4gmW4pTh1tfhT07bdFYYRCZ