1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/20/17 9:23 p.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: Whatever you do, do not search up "B Is For Build" on Youtube. And definitely don't watch their Evora series.

I love the B is for Build

It's awesome. The build on the Evora was legitimately amazing. Rolled and totalled to completely driveable in a couple months in a garage.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
2/21/17 5:48 a.m.

I've been wondering if Elise prices were going to start going back up. They seemed to be stuck at $30k for the last 5 years or so, so I figured they'd start creeping up again. I'm tempted to sell the STI when I get back to the States and buy an Elise. I've always wanted one, just wasn't ever sure if I could deal with the ownership/maintenance experience.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/21/17 8:03 a.m.
jsquared wrote: I've been wondering if Elise prices were going to start going back up. They seemed to be stuck at $30k for the last 5 years or so, so I figured they'd start creeping up again. I'm tempted to sell the STI when I get back to the States and buy an Elise. I've always wanted one, just wasn't ever sure if I could deal with the ownership/maintenance experience.

I think it's going to be like air-cooled Porsches. Right now there's a window where an Elise is a good deal. Soon, though, who knows.

Make mine BRG, please.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/21/17 8:10 a.m.

I don't need to read this article, but when I get the latest issue in the mail it will be the first thing I read other than "Say What?".

kb58
kb58 Dork
2/21/17 8:35 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, sorry if that article winds up costing some of you a couple of bucks.

Says the drug dealer...

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/21/17 8:48 a.m.

Thanks for the "B is for Build" reference, I just watched like 7 episodes. Wow they are brave! Boy I would love to be like them one day. I wonder if the build is still worth it if they can be had for $35k or so. I don't think he said how much he bought the car for.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/21/17 9:09 a.m.

were they going for a Koenigsegg One:1 look? Baby-size LOL

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/21/17 10:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote: After a long chat with an Elise owner, and the trials and tribulations of Elise ownership... Not with someone else's money. IIRC he replaced the rack and pinion at 2k, and again at 9k, there are some rather serious (I think) airflow issues regarding the radiator exhaust blowing into the cabin, and when I was speaking with him, he had the whole front of the car apart as he was engineering a new brake master cylinder system because the ex-Golf bits that Lotus bolted in had horrible feel and he considered it to be NFG for track work.

I think your buddy may have gotten a bad example. The Lotus Elise owners I've met absolutely rave about the dead-nuts reliability of their cars. Last year I attended the Lotus Owner's Gathering in Colorado Springs. Many of the Elise owners drove long distances to attend, and none of them flinched about the idea of heading to the summit of Pikes Peak. (all of them made it without incident too)

From what I gathered after speaking with them, there are a few issues with trim breaking off, and a few small niggles, but overall the cars are very reliable and easy to keep.

Esprit owners on the other hand......... love their cars dearly, but they all admit that the sexy wedges are very needy mistresses.

Top O the World!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
2/21/17 10:44 a.m.

It's times like now that I'm almost relieved that US Elises are still marked as "inadmissible" on the Canadian RIV import documents.

(sniffle)

calteg
calteg Dork
2/21/17 1:49 p.m.
Knurled wrote: After a long chat with an Elise owner, and the trials and tribulations of Elise ownership... Not with someone else's money. IIRC he replaced the rack and pinion at 2k, and again at 9k, there are some rather serious (I think) airflow issues regarding the radiator exhaust blowing into the cabin, and when I was speaking with him, he had the whole front of the car apart as he was engineering a new brake master cylinder system because the ex-Golf bits that Lotus bolted in had horrible feel and he considered it to be NFG for track work.

The rack & pinion is known to get loose over time. I've never experienced the exhaust issue. I have to agree on the brake feel...it's a huge letdown after experiencing how precise the steering and shifter are.

Congrats Yavuz, we can be twinsies now

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
2/22/17 7:44 p.m.

The car left FL Monday night and got to MA in a day and a half. It's awesome. Now I have to patiently wait for the snow to melt and the salt to wash off the streets before I can play.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/28/17 1:01 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: Thanks for the "B is for Build" reference, I just watched like 7 episodes. Wow they are brave! Boy I would love to be like them one day. I wonder if the build is still worth it if they can be had for $35k or so. I don't think he said how much he bought the car for.

They paid $13,200 for it if I remember right

TGMF
TGMF Reader
2/28/17 2:07 p.m.

Buy a modded, supercharged Elise on BAT right now. $9300 currently

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-lotus-elise-7/

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/28/17 3:04 p.m.
TGMF wrote: Buy a modded, supercharged Elise on BAT right now. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-lotus-elise-7/

OOooohh. WANT!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/28/17 3:04 p.m.
Yavuz wrote: The car left FL Monday night and got to MA in a day and a half. It's awesome. Now I have to patiently wait for the snow to melt and the salt to wash off the streets before I can play.

Beautiful! Congrats!

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
4/1/17 1:57 p.m.
TGMF wrote: Buy a modded, supercharged Elise on BAT right now. $9300 currently http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-lotus-elise-7/

You know it sold for $31k right?

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/1/17 2:02 p.m.

ASPT Florida title as a "2016 ASPT" , All repairs professionally done

http://wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Storm-Titanium-for-sale-4.html

What does this mean?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/1/17 2:14 p.m.
Mike wrote: ASPT Florida title as a "2016 ASPT" , All repairs professionally done http://wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Storm-Titanium-for-sale-4.html What does this mean?

ASPT
AS: Assembled
from
PT: Parts

My guess is that a title branded as "rebuilt" will continue to be listed as "rebuilt" in the new state you title it in, but...
Since ASPT is unique to FL, the branding will likely fall off and not be carried to the title of your new state.

Seems like a way to skirt carrying a title branded "rebuilt" forever.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
YbOOGBAEJxxFN8eeGwOsq3PPOAUZP0a6XrZ29LCVrpORa8xcY76DIFD74lWzCguL