1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/21/21 3:31 p.m.

It looks like Toyota saw the Chevy Silverado's ugly front end and said "Hold my beer."

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/21/21 4:03 p.m.

Toyota cannot allow Chevrolet's domination of the Ugly Truck Market to continue unchallenged.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/21/21 4:14 p.m.

For the rest of the class. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/21/21 4:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Please tell me that's just an artist's rendering and not the actual truck.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/21/21 4:20 p.m.

It's what sells and no worse than the 4runner and Tacoma. Pretty much all of the SUVs and trucks on the new market are ugly and overly large. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/21/21 4:23 p.m.

Because ugly grills are a new thing to Toyota, right?

David S. Wallens
6/21/21 4:26 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Please tell me that's just an artist's rendering and not the actual truck.

It's what I downloaded from Toyota's media site. 

David S. Wallens
6/21/21 4:30 p.m.

And no more info other than First Official Look: 2022 Toyota Tundra.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
6/21/21 4:35 p.m.

I think the word you're looking for is "fugly".

Will
Will UltraDork
6/21/21 4:37 p.m.

Oh my. And not like a George Takei good "oh my."

I know there's already a "storm trooper" Toyota, but this one looks like a storm trooper made of Legos.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/21/21 4:53 p.m.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/21/21 4:57 p.m.

I don't like the chevy but I don't hate that pic of the tundra.

Maybe its because I've waited a decade for a new Tundra and just happy its nearly here:)

wake74
wake74 Reader
6/21/21 5:00 p.m.

What will be equally as interesting is when the  formally confirm engine options.  The 5.7 dead?  And will the payload capacity get an increase so it's no longer rated in ounces?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/21/21 5:05 p.m.

I don't hate it, but that's probably because the Chevy has desensitized me. It does have a cool little "Transformers" vibe going on with the headlights. 

nocones
nocones UberDork
6/21/21 5:08 p.m.

As far as massive grilled modern vehicles go I don't hate that.  The Chevy is just so busy in the front.  This by comparison is relatively simple.  It doesn't look massively different then the 2022 F150.  

Obviously it's huge and heavy and has a liftover height measured in dozens of feet like all modern full size trucks so I'm not going to get into that further then to acknowledge it.  If you want smaller trucks buy more of them so they make more of them.  

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/21/21 5:45 p.m.

Yeah, if the center section of the bumper were body color, I'm not sure it would look much (or any) worse than an F150. Not as good as a (non-Rebel) Ram, relatively speaking, but certainly not as bad as a Silverado.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
6/21/21 6:08 p.m.

I don't know, it's nice to see that Lego is so involved in truck design. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/21/21 6:46 p.m.

In reply to wake74 :

Sure sounds like the 5.7 is dead,not sure how much effort it would take to get its fuel economy up where it needs to be.

The rear suspension is moving to coils like the Ram.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/21 7:16 p.m.

I just don't get it. Even on my 2010 Sequoia, I think the grille is too big-looking/prominent and an trying to figure out how to make it "look smaller"...and it's like half the size of this insanity. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/21/21 7:34 p.m.

Meh, the only thing I'm not a fan of is the factory light bar in the grille. 

6/21/21 7:36 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Meh, the only thing I'm not a fan of is the factory light bar in the grille. 

I somehow doubt that will make it into the production model, seeing as it would be illegal in most states. At least here in Va. you can only have two aux lights below the headlights, and definitely not an LED lightbar. Everyone installs them and gets away with it, but an OEM actually has to abide by the laws, I'd assume. Or they'll sell it with a removable cover "for offroad use only"

Last thing the world needs is more LED lightbars mounted high-up on the 6-foot grill of another pickup. At least most of the pickup bros put them down by the lower bumper.

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 New Reader
6/21/21 7:38 p.m.

I'm counting 6 lugs... interesting to drop the 5x150mm pattern after all these years. 

Does look very GM-y.. big meh out of 10. I think the last gen Tundra while bulbous and huge made it look decent. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/21/21 7:51 p.m.

So when did full sized trucks lose their front bumpers? The Toyota above looks like it's completely absent, so I checked the other full sized trucks- yup, they are pretty much gone too, they just did better jobs maintaining the illusion. I'm guessing pedestrian crash standards? Toyota looks to be highlighting the "feature." That explains why the huge steel add on bumpers are so popular. The Toyota in the pic is butt ugly in my opinion, but I'll wait to reserve final judgement until I see one in the flesh. Hopefully it's just not very photogenic. Personally, I think the fender flairs are even worse. Not only look like they are too small for the truck, they give the illusion of odd shaped wheel wells that pinch in at the bottom. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/21/21 8:56 p.m.

Clearly the Focus RS grill was way too small for its size.  The good news is these grils are big enough to make entire body panels for Vette karts and the like.  

6/21/21 9:26 p.m.
Cchambers13 said:

I'm counting 6 lugs... interesting to drop the 5x150mm pattern after all these years. 

Does look very GM-y.. big meh out of 10. I think the last gen Tundra while bulbous and huge made it look decent. 

I mean, the Tundra and Sequoia had 6 lugs up until 2007ish. I never understood why they changed to 5 in the first place

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N2hvceZ6qciBSIzTQfZMoTbUKFgsxdwZ9dxLnAScvjbMEC9e62ISKswt2zrxewAd