1 2
MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 8:32 a.m.

Hello!

Ive been doing autocross and rallycross for the last couple of years. Recently purchased a car I think would be fun for track and would really like to give it a shot.

I signed up as novice and will have an instructor.

- As of now I'm planning to change the brake fluid and pads. Fluid to high heat. Pads have plenty of life but they are the original pads from the car in 2011. Car is a B8 S4. Any pad recommendations?

- Tires are new and good. 

- Car recently inspected and everything else is good and solid (bearings, joints, suspension, etc.). 

- the previous owner had the car pretty tinted. Is this typically an issue? I could see how it could be with other drivers not being able to see you signaling it's okay to pass. 

- I have a helmet that is closed faced but no shield/visor. Would I be better off getting an open face? Mine expires at the end of this year anyway.

- I'm planning to bring tools, jack, jack stands, fuel, etc. is there anything I should bring that is one of those "ah E36 M3 I wish I had that" things you've thought of in the past?

Any and all tips welcome!

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 8:38 a.m.

In reply to MrLittle :

I didn't know it auto changes "poop" to E36 M3 lol. The more you know!

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
6/4/20 9:01 a.m.

I see you're in MI. What group did you sign up with?

I'm an instructor with Rally Sport Region PCA.  Unfortunately we're not doing novice instruction due to PCA guidelines at this time (no in car instructors allowed yet). But once things open up, we welcome all car makes and driver experience!  

I have a B8.5 S4, but do not track it. However, they are big heavy cars. Stock pads will be OK for a novice I think. Brake fluid flush is mandatory for any track work.  Make sure whoever does it actually does a flush and not a bleed. You'll go through at least a liter of fluid for this for ALL old fluid to be out of the system.  Pay attention to brake pedal feel. If it starts requiring more effort or the pedal requires more travel, slow down and pit to let the brakes cool.  EDIT: If it is a manual transmission car, flush the clutch fluid too!  They share the fluid reservoir. 

Tint shouldn't be too much of an issue. Front windows are usually required to be down and point bys are done with a hand out the window or over the roof depending on the club you run with.

Make sure your helmet is a car helmet and not a motorcycle helmet. Most clubs require non-motorcycle type Snell rated helmets. 

If E36 M3 hits the fan, other club members will have tools and help you out.  Most track day folk are very friendly and helpful.  

As for more tips: check any ego at the door, listen to your instructors, start slow and work on smoothness and vision first. Speed will come later. Know all your flag station locations. You win by driving your car home and learning, no racing here. Use being passed as a learning opportunity.  Miatas will pass you (I have one as my track car and pass much more powerful equipment). Learn from them. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line. The skill comes from corner entry and exit. Smooth smooth smooth. Eyes ahead! Ask questions! And finally, HAVE FUN!

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 9:16 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

I signed up with the CGI Motorsports at Ginger Man on July 13th. Their June event didn't have instructors but it did for July. 

Thank you for the tips! Definitely want to go into as a learning experience and realize I'm not going to be a fast person. I just want to learn, have fun, and drive the car home in one piece. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/4/20 9:44 a.m.

Check with the club to make sure your current helmet is legal. It likely is, if not you can by a new one. My personal preference is for full face helmet but I'm also racing as well as instructing/running at track days.

If you haven't already watch some in-car tutorial videos of the track; not for going faster but just so you know where you are going.

Coming from autocross, the biggest issue you are likely to have is how you release the brake pedal. If you don't have trail braking figured out already, read up on it. The next thing will be your steering inputs, the rate that you wind in the steering will seem painfully slow compared to autocross (note I autocross and road race)  

As others have and will say; make sure you have fun, it's easy to get caught up in all the things that you could do better at. There is no perfect lap so have fun.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/4/20 10:16 a.m.

Sunscreen, water, and water-proof clothes.  Don't be dismayed if it rains.  In fact, I think a rainy first day at the track is likely the best possible teacing scenario.

Remember, if someone "catches" you, they are "faster" than you, even if they aren't as quick down the straights.  Don't ruin the best parts (cornering) for momentum cars by forgetting to wave them past at the begining of passing zones.  And for goodness sake, take your foot off the accelerator when you do a point by.  My Miata is achingly slow, and when people point me by and stay on the gas I won't be able to safely pass.

Use good judgment.  No one cares about the car you brought.  They only care about the car they brought.

If you know anything about skiing, think about what it is like when you need to get by a slower skier on a hill.  You want them to be predictable, so you can safely get around them.  That means you stay on the "line" and let them naviagte around you.

You will have a blast.  And be exhausted.  If they do a social afterwards, stick around, and talk to people.  Introduce yourself to the organizer.  Offer to help if it looks like they need it.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 10:41 a.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the advice! I definitely don't want anyone to have a bad time because of me. Im going to spend as much time with the instructor in my car as I can being the first time and everything. 

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I feel like autocross was a lot of quick movements. I'm looking forward to moving at faster speeds with more subtle input. 

I know it's not the same thing but if Dirt Rally has thought me anything, lots of quick jerking movements is no bueno!

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/4/20 10:54 a.m.

Also you have to stop at Sherman's for ice cream on the way home.

Sorry, it's the law, I don't make them up, just follow them.

You be happy you did.

You also will probably need a long sleeve shirt. Some orgs require them.

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/4/20 10:58 a.m.

At this moment in time I'd really want a closed face helmet (and the same for the instructor) if they're going to be in the car with you.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm never one to say no to ice cream! Thanks for the heads up. 

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
6/4/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to MrLittle :

It's called Slow Hands

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/4/20 12:16 p.m.

Congrats. I wish I could experience my first HPDE again.

Gingerman is pretty easy, the only thing there is to hit is the pit wall, so it's a really safe place to learn. Remember: a late apex is almost always safer than an early one.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 12:17 p.m.

I have 4 bottles of Stop Tech STR600 I bought like 4 years ago that are unopened and still sealed. Any concerns with using that? I see online some say 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. It's all over the place. I suppose it isn't that expensive to just buy new and be done with it. 

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/4/20 12:18 p.m.
Cactus said:

Congrats. I wish I could experience my first HPDE again.

Gingerman is pretty easy, the only thing there is to hit is the pit wall, so it's a really safe place to learn. Remember: a late apex is almost always safer than an early one.

Looking at the track layout made me feel good when I saw there wasn't much to worry about obstacle wise. I was going to sign up at M1 concourse but from what I've seen/heard it's pretty tight. 

sergio
sergio Reader
6/4/20 1:15 p.m.

Just remember, Penske ain't calling'. Be smooth not spectacular. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/4/20 2:01 p.m.

Driving on slippery surfaces (dirt , snow) is good training. I used to organize Rally-X as well as a stage rally......big fan of dirt.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
6/4/20 3:26 p.m.

No advice - just wanted to say I'm jealous.  We were booked for our first HPDE at Pittrace for early May - but it was cancelled.  Have fun!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/4/20 3:55 p.m.

Get a full face with a visor.  Fire is why.

Slow and steady.

Handel the wheel like it is something you care about.  A death grip is not good.

Look as far down the track as possible.  And this means in both directions.  This is the #1 thing in becoming a good on track driver.  It is a big part in what I call on track awareness.  Once you can do this you can start anticipating things.  You can not do this if you can not see the things first.

Learn your gages and learn to check them once a lap (or more).

Listen to your instructor.

Try and get as many ride alongs as possible.

Try to get other instructors in your car.  Different people will focus on different things and have different teaching styles.

Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax and remember breath. Once the newness and excitement of just being on the track goes away only then can you start learning and focusing on what the instructor is telling you.  

Slow is fast.  Really.  Focus on just learning the line and the brake points.   Keep it at 9 or even 8 10ths.  Speed will come.  It will happen faster than you think just don't focus on it.  If you only focus on speed you will remain slow.  Focus on smooth, looking down track and developing on track awareness.  Develop these skills and speed will come naturally and quickly.

You are going to get sensory overload.  At the end of the weekend you will know you had a blast but you will not remember a lot.  After a session with an instructor bend there ear for a moment and take some notes (get a notebook).  What you did good what you need to work on and what you thought was the funest part of the track.  Also note down things about the car.  How were the brakes?  Did they fade at all?  Any weird noises? Were your mirrors working for you?  I have found that the position you have mirrors for the street is not what you will want on the track. 

Ergonomics of your cars interior can also play a big roll in developing on track awareness.  Take not of this after a session and note it in the notebook I suggested above.  If you are comfortable in the car you don't have to focus on that thing that bugs you and you can put all your attention to what the car is doing and what is going on outside the car.  

Don't be afraid to pull into the pits early.  Fatigue is a real thing.  Particularly at the end of the day and especially at the end of the 2nd day.  There have been many a day where I wanted to go out in the last session but I passed just because I realized I was tired both mentally (the hardest to admit to) and physically.  

Mental fatigue.  It is a real thing.  Don't ignore it as this is when mistakes happen.  Like exercising your muscles you are going to be exercising your brain in ways you never have before. 

Feed your body and your brain.  Electro lights and water and food are important.

No alcohol (or other stuff) the night before.  Ok this is my personal rule as I noticed that it takes the edge off my ability the next day.  

Get a good nights sleep the night before.  I know it will be hard to do as you will be excited but try.  And have a good dinner the night before.

Bring a friend to help with things like inspecting the car between sessions and just to help with things.  Again you will be tired at the end of the end of the day and having a friend to help is a god send.  Also they can inspect the car while you are in classroom sessions.  Even if it is just checking all the fluids and tire pressures. 

Have Fun.  This is going to be the best day of your life up till now.  Remember it is not a race it is a school you are a student and are there to learn.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/4/20 4:09 p.m.

Drug dealer window tint shouldn't matter as most (if not all) organizations require you to run with the front side windows down. Hand signals out the window.

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/4/20 4:45 p.m.

If we're doing general tips...

A good instructor should tell you this or something similar, but just in case, use all the track. Take the proper line all the time, use all the track out room (when that's the proper line at least. iirc there's a couple places at gingerman where keeping in a little bit sets up the next corner better) even if you're not going fast enough to need it, build up the muscle memory and confidence in car placement for when you eventually are going that fast. Don't be afraid of using curbs, they're there for a reason.

As dean1484 said, don't be afraid to not be on track for every single minute possible if you don't feel up to it. Honestly my ideal day at the track is 3-4 sessions. Usually by that point I'm either flat out exhausted or have gotten to the point where I've gone as fast as I feel comfortable with and another session is just going to result in taking unnecessary risks.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/4/20 5:01 p.m.

Dps214brings up a good point, fatigue.......don't be afraid to come in a lap or two early if you're starting to feel ragged.

You will be surprised at how mentally and physically tired you get (unless your in really good shape)

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
6/4/20 6:31 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Well said.   

The no alcohol is right on.   I did a hill climb once with a hangover .  It was short and speeds were low and I didn't hurt my self.. 

Never again

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/4/20 6:39 p.m.

Another thing is to try different instructors, I had one who would not shut up and talked about the corner that already passed instead of talking about the one coming up.

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
6/4/20 8:10 p.m.
MrLittle said:

I have 4 bottles of Stop Tech STR600 I bought like 4 years ago that are unopened and still sealed. Any concerns with using that? I see online some say 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. It's all over the place. I suppose it isn't that expensive to just buy new and be done with it. 

Think I would buy new brake fluid and pads. Quality pads not the cheap stuff.  I  used Wagner, worked fine for a track day and still good for the streets.  Flush the brake system well with good fluid. And if you get the brakes really hot,  don't set the park brake.  A couple of guys did last year at Hallett and the pads melted to the rotors. Never had seen that one before.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49KYpQbACr1stlFQ9GmdWzMscBb2GprsC80SdKqpg4jHvHwSVCEfe9T471TnewXe