goofoff
goofoff New Reader
11/10/16 9:40 a.m.

Any feedback on K & N oil filters. Any problems ?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
11/10/16 10:00 a.m.

They are pretty well-regarded on BITOG, as far as I know.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
11/10/16 10:21 a.m.

I've used them off and on, no problems. From the test results I've seen they're not necessarily better at filtering compared to, say, a NAPA Gold or Platinum filter, but in some applications I find the nut at the end of the filter and the lockwireability a big bonus.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
11/10/16 12:14 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I've used them off and on, no problems. From the test results I've seen they're not necessarily better at filtering compared to, say, a NAPA Gold or Platinum filter, but in some applications I find the nut at the end of the filter and the lockwireability a big bonus.

+1

I use them on my rallycross car that has a filter that seems to self tighten to the point it has to have a screwdriver stabbed through it in order to be removed. The nut on the end of the filter makes oil changes a lot easier.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
11/10/16 12:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I've used them off and on, no problems. From the test results I've seen they're not necessarily better at filtering compared to, say, a NAPA Gold or Platinum filter, but in some applications I find the nut at the end of the filter and the lockwireability a big bonus.

On a smallish filter (like on the Hayabusa motor on my race car that gets fairly frequent changes) I use the old motorcycle racer trick of a screw hose clamp around the filter, and wire that to a hard point on the engine. This affords the ability to, after tightening the filter, position the hose clamp so the wire has no slack. Also, as the wire's tension is effectively tangental to the OD of the filter, it's much more easily able to keep the filter tight, rather than "not unscrewing all the way".

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/10/16 5:41 p.m.

No problems here

johnnie
johnnie Reader
11/10/16 5:47 p.m.

Got one as a freebie with an oil change deal from the auto parts store.
On an NC Miata, getting a tool in there to get the thing off was a lot more challenge than just using the cup wrench that matches up with the OEM filter.
The money saved on the freebie filter was more than offset by the purchase of a 1" combination wrench, something I didn't previously own.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/10/16 6:18 p.m.

Installed one on the S197 just a few weeks ago. Won't drive it nearly enough till next oil/ filter change to comment on cutting it open and spreading the pleats to see the construction. Installed w/ band type filter wrench as usual, the hex nut will only be used for ease of removal tho, nice to have btw.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
11/10/16 7:04 p.m.

Nothing but love for them both on bikes and cars. They work great.

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/10/16 7:50 p.m.

There are a number of oil filter tests scattered across the Interwebs.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
11/10/16 7:54 p.m.

The one i put on the cummins doesnt have a hex on the end

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
11/10/16 9:09 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Installed one on the S197 just a few weeks ago. Won't drive it nearly enough till next oil/ filter change to comment on cutting it open and spreading the pleats to see the construction. Installed w/ band type filter wrench as usual, the hex nut will only be used for ease of removal tho, nice to have btw.

FWIW, I never use any tools to install oil filters. Hand tight is good enough, no reason to cause yourself pain down the road when you need to remove it.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
11/10/16 9:18 p.m.

I use the drop in k&n oil filters on my saab (ecotec 2.0). No complaints. Better than the bosch counterpart i've tried.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
11/11/16 7:55 a.m.

FYI, they're exactly the same (save for the nut) as Royal Purple and Mobil 1 filters. Same factory, same specs, same line. Different color. Champ Labs, in Indiana, owned now by Fram.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
11/13/16 10:55 a.m.
Kramer wrote: FYI, they're exactly the same (save for the nut) as Royal Purple and Mobil 1 filters. Same factory, same specs, same line. Different color. Champ Labs, in Indiana, owned now by Fram.

the ones that they sell at Wal Mart look exactly like Frams except for the white paint and lack of bedliner on the end to grab onto... they also lack the hex head, but they were nice enough to keep the higher price point so you think you are getting something better than the orange junk next to it on the shelf.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/14/16 10:54 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: FWIW, I never use any tools to install oil filters. Hand tight is good enough, no reason to cause yourself pain down the road when you need to remove it.

+1, tools are for taking oil filters off, not putting them on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sM2Gdf1AGteTwO5vnlI0hBpo8KaxMmndsm5DmPw50Ydjve3OIjNRZb8vlgLO3bXE