1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
7/9/20 1:30 p.m.

So I have a 2010 GTI that I daily drive and is getting up there in mileage. I have been kicking around the idea of getting into something newer for a while. I still really enjoy the GTI but it at the point where pretty soon a lot of work will need to be done and its already not worth a whole lot. 

Today a sweet deal on a 2017 Civic Si popped up and it looks like exactly I am looking for. Still a 6 speed transmission with a limited slip and 4 doors instead of the two doors in my current GTI. Plus I had one for a few days a while ago and really enjoyed it. 

Am I crazy for thinking about selling the GTI or should I ditch it before it costs me any more money? and is the SI the right car to replace it with? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/9/20 1:33 p.m.

You should definitely sell me the Mk.6 for $2500 and buy a Civic.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/9/20 1:35 p.m.

$2501?

ChrisTropea
7/9/20 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Add another $2500 and we have a deal 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/9/20 1:47 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

Add another $2500 and we have a deal 

You have a SECOND GTI??

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
7/9/20 1:50 p.m.

laugh

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/9/20 1:52 p.m.

Buy the Si, it's been a great DD for me so far (still wish I would have gotten the Veloster N instead). 

ChrisTropea
7/9/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

What makes you still want the Veloster N over the Si?

Fueled by Caffeine
7/9/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

turbo goes woosh?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/9/20 2:53 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

What makes you still want the Veloster N over the Si?

The N was much more of a hoot to drive than the Si. The Si is a great DD and what makes it a great DD is that it's very numb and a very forgetful car to drive. The N was much more engaging, steering had better feel, engine noise wasn't fake pumped in nonsense, power delivery isn't as refined which gave it a more visceral feel. The N felt more like an 8th gen Si (which is just about as perfect as it gets for a sport compact). 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/9/20 3:05 p.m.

Si.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
7/9/20 3:09 p.m.

Is that the Fugly Civic or the last one that looked somewhat decent?  If it's the hideous one, full stop, keep the GTI.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/9/20 3:18 p.m.

Keep the GTi.   Pump money into the maintenance it needs, throw a tune at it and enjoy it for several more years.

ChrisTropea
7/9/20 3:22 p.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

That is my issue. I don't want to keep pumping more and more money into a sinking ship. The last VW I had got past this point and was a constant nightmare to keep reliable. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/9/20 3:24 p.m.

Keep the GTI until it outranks a monthly payment on said civic 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/9/20 3:24 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

In reply to JesseWolfe :

That is my issue. I don't want to keep pumping more and more money into a sinking ship. The last VW I had got past this point and was a constant nightmare to keep reliable. 

I think you answered your own question on what car you should buy. 

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
7/9/20 3:26 p.m.
docwyte said:

Is that the Fugly Civic or the last one that looked somewhat decent?  If it's the hideous one, full stop, keep the GTI.

Fugly civic is the type R. Si are sedan/coupe only (for the 10th gen)

Fueled by Caffeine
7/9/20 3:34 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Keep the GTI until it outranks a monthly payment on said civic 

ding.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
7/9/20 3:42 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
ChrisTropea said:

In reply to JesseWolfe :

I think you answered your own question on what car you should buy. 

^^^^this.

And if your GTI isn't a money pit yet, you are one of the lucky ones. It will be soon. Great for a project car but really sucks for a DD

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/9/20 4:23 p.m.

I went through this same exact situation with my Mk6 GTI. I tried to replace it with all kinds of different cars...  Civic Si, Focus ST, Mazda3, etc. and after every test drive I still liked my GTI more, even though at the time the suspension was worn out and in need of some work.

So I decided that a few thousand dollars worth if maintenance and upgrades was worth it to keep a car that I still enjoyed as opposed to paying several times that amount on a lower mileage car.

It's been a few years since I made that decision and at 140k miles so far no regrets. I still look forward to driving it and it gets around a track a lot better than its reputation suggests it should.

ChrisTropea
7/9/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

I have already had to put a $2000 ABS pump in it and i do not want another bill like that knowing I am on borrowed time. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/9/20 4:25 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

In reply to fanfoy :

I have already had to put a $2000 ABS pump in it and i do not want another bill like that knowing I am on borrowed time. 

I replaced mine with a $100 pump from a scrap yard, then spent $70 at a dealership to get it coded.

ChrisTropea
7/9/20 4:29 p.m.

In reply to MrFancypants :

See that is where I am torn, the car still makes me smile every time I drive it. Do I ditch it before more VW problems pop up and get Honda reliability. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/9/20 4:37 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

In reply to MrFancypants :

See that is where I am torn, the car still makes me smile every time I drive it. Do I ditch it before more VW problems pop up and get Honda reliability. 

It depends on how much personal sweat you want to put into it. Some things like the ABS pump can be done pretty cheap if you search a bit for the right used part, other stuff like the timing chain that needs to be replaced at some point are out of my personal comfort level so I pay a shop to do it... but I know plenty of people who've tackled that on their own so it is something a skilled amateur mechanic can do.

Most of the issues I've personally had fall within my expectations for six figure mileage used cars. I know these cars have a reputation for being needy when they get old, so it's hard to blame anyone for wanting to move on, but I've been happy with mine so far.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/9/20 4:43 p.m.

Oh, and to be completely open I don't depend on my GTI for transportation anymore since I retired; it's a paid off play toy these days that has enough seats to drive the wife and kids around in. If I *needed* reliable transportation the Civic looks like a great option. But for me that's less  a worry about VWs specifically and not wanting to worry about high mileage car issues.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uvviDRXQuU0gsCS0C9hVDUaxMWRZVFrLUXe78ZqNAyYCCXzvcPYOIGQ3w6oCG9I8