1 2 3
karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/22/21 8:06 a.m.

Help me decide what to do with my current vehicle conundrum. My daily driver is a 2020 Genesis G70 2.0T M/T.

I love it. It is a fantastic daily for my 110 mile daily commute. 

Why am I making a post about selling it? I recently received an offer for a new job. The commute is going up a little bit but as an incentive to move to the new position, I am being offered a company vehicle.

I've been in this situation before. Back in 2015 I got a job with a company vehicle and sold my then Focus ST daily driver. I regretted selling that car then and still do now. Especially since I didn't stay in that job for long.

Looking at it from a financial standpoint, it makes NO sense to keep the G70 especially with current used car prices. From an emotional one, I will have a really hard time letting this car go. 

I am also running out of space. I have 1 project car I'll get to eventually. I will have another I'll be picking up next week. If I do keep the G70, I don't want to just let it sit outside.

What does the hive recommend?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/22/21 8:18 a.m.

As much as you like the G70, it doesn't sound like it has a place with you right now.  IMO, it's not really a "collectors" car or other rare/exotic/sports car that you'd keep as a weekend toy.  Sell it and enjoy the perks of a company car.  If you change jobs again, you can always go buy another G70.  I had a company car for about 5 years.  I used the living crap out of it....took it everywhere.  Never during that time did I own a daily driver type car, it was pointless.  

I'd sell it and move on.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/21 8:24 a.m.

You mention one job where you didn't stay long and you seem to imply that the new company car has not yet arrived.  You say the commute is going up so that means more than the current 110 miles.  

I think you will ultimately sell the G70 but I think it may be wise to "let the paint dry" on this new job and new car a little bit just to be sure.  

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/22/21 8:27 a.m.

Well the used car market is nuts still. You are likely to make a profit selling it now maybe? 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/22/21 8:28 a.m.

If you could sit it in the garage, keep it nice, and end up with a great shape paid off car (assuming it's not already) in a few years, I'd do it. That doesn't look like it's the case, so I'd let it go. If you need one in 2 years, it'll be cheaper to buy one then. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/22/21 8:51 a.m.

I might be interested

oh, go with the company car.  I had 11 years of company cars and then these crappy car allowance plans.   Not owning my ride is the way to go unless it's a crappy car like a low end Malibu.  

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/22/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

It definitely isn't a collector car and never will be but it is incredibly rare. Hyundai hasn't released how many MT cars they sold in North America but it is probably around 300-400. It could theoretically be a weekend toy for me. I haven't had it on track yet but I'm sure it would be a fun track day car.

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/22/21 9:02 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

An excellent point. I am definitely not going to make an snap decisions. Part of the reason for this thread. The new job isn't much further. About 60 miles so 60 minutes instead of 55.

The job I referenced was a bit unique. It was the 'path to move up' job. I realized moving up isn't what I wanted so I left that job and went back to what I enjoyed. The new job is basically the same as the one I have now but in a different crop. I see myself staying in the new position a very long time.

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/22/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I can't profit because it already has 30K miles but I definitely wont lose much.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/21 9:13 a.m.

In reply to karplus2 :

What's the company car gonna be?  Chevy's cheapest vehicle (other than the mico-sized Spark) is the Chevy Trax.  That's a whole different expereince than the G70.  

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/22/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Not sure yet. If I had to guess, I bet it will be a half ton truck but I may have some say in what I get.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/22/21 9:40 a.m.

A stick Genesis is a rare bird. What are the odds you are able to find a replacement/duplicate down the road?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/22/21 9:49 a.m.
karplus2 said:

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I can't profit because it already has 30K miles but I definitely wont lose much.

KBB has private party value in the $31,300 to $34,500 neighborhood.    

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/22/21 10:04 a.m.

I have your solution. I'll drive it for you for a year, keep it at my house and stuff and then you can come get it when you realize you can't live without it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/22/21 10:11 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I have your solution. I'll drive it for you for a year, keep it at my house and stuff and then you can come get it when you realize you can't live without it. 

That's a bad idea.  

Lockport, IL is closer to you and it makes sense to leave it at my house.  I even have a keypad on the door to let you in if I'm gone.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/22/21 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

We'll share. I too have a keypad

nocones
nocones UberDork
12/22/21 10:27 a.m.

Guys..  Mahomet, Il is way closer and he drives by on his way to the new job.  He can come visit it easier this way.  As a penance one of you can drive my Elantra GT Sport M6 while I'm babysitting the G70.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/22/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

dibs

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
12/22/21 10:32 a.m.
Appleseed said:

A stick Genesis is a rare bird. What are the odds you are able to find a replacement/duplicate down the road?

But a 2.0T stick 4dr is not. Objectively, there are a lot of potential replacements for much less. 

Opti
Opti Dork
12/22/21 10:36 a.m.

Ive had a couple friends sell off their cars because they had a company car, and eventually they got laid off, fired, or went somewhere else and they were left without transportation. Personally I dont like something as important as transportation to be reliant on someone else, but I also understand its not a great feeling to be paying for something that just sits there. If I was in your situation, If I could stomach the payment Id keep it, if I couldnt or it made way more sense to put the money elsewhere Id sell it, but make sure I had access to transportation if something changes, like pick up a cheap beater.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/21 10:53 a.m.

Does this have the rear lsd or did all the manuals have that?  That is a pretty rare car.  There are 12 for sale in the US and there aren't likely to be any more.  I understand the hesitation.

I'd definitely sell it because I dont like to have $ sunk into a depreciating asset thats getting no use.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/22/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

Yes it is. In 2020 they sold 100 with a stick. 100.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/21 12:03 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to cyow5 :

Yes it is. In 2020 they sold 100 with a stick. 100.

Also IIRC that it is the only RWD Manual transmission 4 door sold in the US in 2020?

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/22/21 12:09 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Also IIRC that it is the only RWD Manual transmission 4 door sold in the US in 2020?

Not the only one, but there aren't many.  BMW will still sell a 4 door / manual trans / RWD M3. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/21 12:14 p.m.
rslifkin said:
ProDarwin said:

Not the only one, but there aren't many.  BMW will still sell a 4 door / manual trans / RWD M3. 

They did not sell one in 2020

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iz6bfFt7OWZDrFhUcQZaL9wjnji80RVCjhEE6gblrepP0L2n2GouEurA92SVQ70K