1 2
vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
4/10/09 8:22 a.m.

KB are you welding the tubes while they are on your wooden jig? If so how do you avoid issues with fire?

Thanks in advance for insight.

ww
ww SuperDork
4/10/09 8:36 a.m.

I suspect he only tacks them together in the jig and then pulls them out to do the finish welds.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
4/10/09 8:36 a.m.

Right, I don't actually weld on the table; the closest I ever get is maybe 1/2" when the sides of the bottom tubes are being tacked. Then the entire floor is removed, flipped over, and finish welded. Also, the table surface is MDF - kind of like compressed wood "lint.". It blackens and there's a bit of smoke, but it never catches fire. Keep in mind I'm TIG welder with argon shielding gas that inhibits combustion. If it was gas-welding it could be a different story.

And yes I do have fire extinguishers

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
4/10/09 11:01 a.m.

Welcome back (sort of) Kurt!

Looks like you're making progress more often than just on the weekends now

I'm moving slow on my TVR project. I did get some motivation with the car being featured in Hot Rod's Project Garage section in the May issue. Trying to make progress at the moment is a little difficult -- having hip problems and am scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks. Hoping I can get a few days work in on the car as I'm "recuperating".....

Looking at your "clean sheet" approach with Midlana makes me a little envious and reminds me of the challenges you faced with Kimini -- it's harder to package things in an existing envelope as opposed to doing a purpose built car starting with the basic frame and chassis and building that up and around where your engine/suspension/etc, components will be located.

As you found out with Kimini, it sure is hard packing a lot of systems into a car with a set track, wheelbase, etc....

Thanks as always for the inspiration -- don't know if I'll ever complete a car like Midlana, but I always learn something from your efforts!

-jeff d

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
4/10/09 12:40 p.m.

Very excited.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
4/13/09 9:46 p.m.

Thanks for taking time to answer the question about welding in the jig One of my biggest issues was the thought of creating mega heavy metal jigs. This solution is a good one.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
4/14/09 8:32 a.m.

Welding heat causes distortion, causing tubes to contract more than they expand, pulling angles inward with tremendous force - it pretty much laughs at any table it's bolted to. It's kind of like dancing with an elephant. All you can do is try and manage which way it'll move next, but nothing will actually stop it.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/14/09 10:23 a.m.

Awesome!

Can't wait to follow your progress on this one.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
6/9/09 2:46 p.m.

Things are moving along. Over the last month a lot was accomplished thanks to my wife being on a business trip and me having a long vacation. The fuel system, cooling system, and the basic frame are done and fully welded. Currently working on suspension arm fixtures - which take a ton of work in the form of many drawings!

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
6/9/09 3:03 p.m.

Transverse engine (ala Kimini or Ariel Atom) or longitudinal?

Never mind, answered my own question - transverse. Makes more sense that way.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
6/9/09 9:08 p.m.

It's too hard to ignore all the FWD transverse drivetrains sitting around, just looking for an application. Also, being transverse it consumes much less fore-aft space and keeps the car looking (slightly) less goofy.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/20/09 2:11 p.m.

Finished fabricating the 321 stainless exhaust - and yes, that's a turbo ;). Electrical is underway:

smog7
smog7 Dork
11/20/09 2:13 p.m.

holy E36 M3!

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
11/20/09 2:45 p.m.

I'll go with a "wow"!

splitime
splitime Reader
11/20/09 2:48 p.m.

Turbo... Hooray!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/20/09 4:52 p.m.

Freaking awesome as always. What kind of motor is that? My engine ID skills are failing me. It's a Honda product, but which one I cannot tell.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/20/09 4:55 p.m.

It's what the Honda-Kids call a "Frank" (short for Frankenstein.) The block is a K24A1 from a 2.4 liter Honda CRV, the head is from an Acura TSX, and the transmission is from a base Acura RSX. It's designed to handle 400 hp on pump gas, but I suspect the boost will be turned way down most of the time...

I can already say that going berzerk on the engine was a mistake this early-on. But after it's done I think I won't lament it too much

kreb
kreb Dork
11/20/09 5:18 p.m.

Pardon my ignorance, but I see three pipes combining before the muffler - the turbo outlet, the wastegate and? A second wastegate?

Very nice work. I was getting used to you as an internet pontificator. I forgot that you're a fine fabricator!

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
11/20/09 6:55 p.m.

So its going to be kinda like a home brew ariel atom?

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/20/09 8:06 p.m.

Pontificator... I'll add that to the other labels I got stuck with, including, "Suspension Nazi", but not in a nice way...

More like a mid-engine Locost (Lotus Super 7 clone.) It uses Super 7 fenders and nose cone. Here's a side pic:

CLH
CLH New Reader
11/20/09 8:23 p.m.

That manifold work is a wonder to behold...can't wait to see the finished product. Nice work!

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/20/09 8:25 p.m.
kreb wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but I see three pipes combining before the muffler - the turbo outlet, the wastegate and? A second wastegate?

Yes. It's what's called a twin-scroll turbo, where cylinders 1,4 go to one side and 2,3 go to the other. Supposed to give about 6% more power and minimize lag.

And before people give me grief that a turbo may very well be slower in terms of lap time, don't forget that we build our cars, really, for only one reason: to have fun. If it results in being a bit slower, eh, a plastic trophy just isn't that important. I've never owned a turbo car and want to see what they're like.

There's a bunch more pictures on the Midlana website, check out the build diary.

Oh, and a turbo surely must help my chances at getting into GRM a second time - I hope!

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
11/20/09 8:37 p.m.

That's nice fabrication. Reading some of your website, it appears you're actually quite the engineer too. I am just like that... in my dreams. No, literally, I have dreams about doing such things, except for in my dreams there is occasionally this strange otter, and my engineering and fabrication skills are still not as good as yours are in real life.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/20/09 8:51 p.m.

Never underestimate what you can do. I was an electrical engineer, now I do sw, but I've always liked to make stuff. None of that has anything to do with cars exactly, so I think a lot of "potential energy" is wasting away in this country watching TV each night. Not you necessarily, but in general. Hey, once the book's done, see if it's something you might want to attempt; it'll step through the entire build. And, the book's not a fantasy - the manuscript's currently at 281 pages. Since the car and book are being created in parallel, it (the book) will be out about a month after the car's first trackday event.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
11/22/09 4:05 a.m.

Can't wait to see the finished product! And read the book!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nYwCVnE3MwgLjWpVTyqupVoB7tY5mF9GoOwYeyd0zHa77wueIevxZ1p3Ylw2xd0E