Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/21 4:43 p.m.

Always wanted an FF GTM

Replica/Kit Makes : Factory Five Racing GTM GTM Gen I for sale

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
4/12/21 6:07 a.m.

I used to get kit car magazine back in the '80s and '90s to see what interesting stuff was out there. I actually built a couple replicars for my self and customers of my custom body shop. In '85 when I was starting out my shop, I decided I needed something to advertise my custom skills and built the hot car at the time, a Ferrari Daytona replica. Took about 6 months to build, and with the built 350 (built by a circle track engine builder buddy of mine) it was actually quicker than an original to 120 or so. Sounded wrong but most people don't notice that. I was relatively poor so building that was easier than buying an original Daytona (which was already heading above $500k). The basic body was by Exotic Coachcraft and was built better than the McBurnie cars. And as you can tell by the one picture in primer, it was quite a bit lighter than the stock bodywork and I had to find much shorter springs to compensate (6 cyl Nova springs to be exact).

Drove that car for 4 years and had it filmed for Max Headroom in the late '80s...

Sold it to move on with other projects. A couple years back (about 2012) I found it for sale again in PA and tried to buy it back. It was in great shape bodywise, with a new interior. It had obviously been loved and survived all these years... even though it was missing the plexiglass headlight cover.

I recognized it as mine from the exterior door pulls I fabricated (most had fiat door handles lower on the door) instrument cluster which I had built custom with the triple turn signal indicators on each side (as well as the layout of all the dash and center column parts). The glovebox door opened, as well, which I had made custom.

Unfortunately I couldn't raise the cash in time, and it got sold to a buyer in the UK. Once again vanishing into the wild. It's one of the two cars out of 100+ I've owned that I regret selling.

mblommel
mblommel Dork
4/12/21 8:53 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Racingsnake :

Sadly that's  a stalled project. My partner and I have got the molds and the first body, but haven't gotten around to building the rest of it, much less marketing it. It's a tiny thing. Think 1st generation MR2. One of the tricks will be figuring out how to fit people larger than slim-hipped, 150 lb. Italians.

I hope you guys are able to make some headway  on the SP1000 sometime soon. I was interested in at least a body back when he had the molds. I know you guys were attempting a frame to utilize off the shelf running gear. It's a compelling idea. I've been considering "7" kits, but I'd rather have an SP1000...

I don't know how you can make it fit big 'Muricans easily, you'd have to scale the whole car up 10-15%, like a 4-4-2 locost. But that seems improbable unless you 3D scanned the existing car, milled a new buck out of foam and created new molds.

Either way I'd love to see it available.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
4/12/21 9:27 a.m.

This weekend I had the chance to drive one of my bucket list cars of this ilk, a Lotus 7 clone with a turbocharged 13b.  This event was an introduction to next Sunday's continued testing.  I can confirm that I was hanging on for dear life and am reliving  sensory overload every time I close my eyes.

After my third run in the car, on a clean lap, I had driven over 5 seconds a lap faster than my quick time in my vintage H Street car.  Yes I spun the car, a couple of times. Oh and stalled the car at the start line.

I usually have no trouble with a slalom element. On this occasion I was good for the first three cones, then I was behind.  We are trying to dial the car in for a street tire class. The 052's are trying there best on a 1350lb. car that usually runs purple crack.  That's why we are testing.  Someone has to help!  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/12/21 9:45 a.m.

There's a white 356 kit car around town (not the one pictured) but it's well made and assembled by someone that knows what they're doing.  If my buddy ever decides to let that abandoned 911 go, I'm making one helluva Speedster!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/12/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Cool car and story, thanks for taking the time to post all the photos & share with us.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/12/21 5:41 p.m.

I'd really like to build a Factory Five '33 Hot Rod before I build an airplane, but I might just skip ahead to the airplane.  Seems like the FF 33 would be a good warm up.  big tires, V8 and light weight small car that doesn't take up a lot of garage space is pretty appealing.  They end up costing a lot of money though.  Best to pick up someone else's stalled project for a big discount and finish it your way.  

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/21 1:22 p.m.

Resurrection because I read something funny and wanted to share:

https://www.reddit.com/r/namethatcar/comments/oa8yn7/a_fake_f40_but_what_was_the_original_car_before/h3gbxui?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

vipertruck99

Had an old neighbour with an sw20 mr2 Ferrari 355 replica. He swore it was real... unfortunately there was myself and 2 other “car” guys in the development. We tortured him. Ferrari badges (well stickers) on ride on mowers, wheelie bins. T-shirt’s printed up. Got him the best one day. He was cleaning car on a Sunday morning...well we waited at the main road, 4 of us dressed in hastily chosen red and black clothes. One guy wheeled out his roller tool chest, one brought a long handed trolley jack..I brought winter wheels from the garage. Headphones on etc..waited for him to drive past. Cruel, cruel piss take but he was a totally humourless, unpleasant, delusional dick.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/29/21 1:37 p.m.

I always wanted a Sterling, I think it's cool.

Not terribly interested in cars that sort of look like others though.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/29/21 4:32 p.m.

Blakely Bearcat. Pinto base.

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
6/29/21 5:24 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

I've desperately wanted one of these ever since reading "The Car" by Gary Paulsen as a teenager.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/21 6:06 p.m.

Great.  Of all the threads you had to ressurect.  Now you E36 M3heads have me looking for a Vaydor.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
6/29/21 6:31 p.m.

how many kit cars have you seen that were finished......just sayin !

try to buy one that was already on the road and improve it , unless you got 1000 hours do not start one from start....

I yes I am looking for a 356 speedster and have turned down a few "kits" that were never put together ....

Ohhh and 10 years of sunshine out in the backyard  is not going to help :)

Good luck in your search :)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/29/21 6:53 p.m.

There's such a spectrum.  It all depends on execution. I'm an engineer and some of the kit cars are great, some are rolling death traps. Some are way too much lipstick on a pig (vw pan, fiero) some are world beaters.

I love me some well executed cars. I would really like to do a replica of a car from the can-am series. Lola, McLaren, etc.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/29/21 8:56 p.m.
karplus2 said:

I've desperately wanted one of these ever since reading "The Car" by Gary Paulsen as a teenager.

I was a teaching assistant in a class that was reading the book. I found an owner who sent all kinds of pics and info for the students to look over. Big binder of stuff. The class made drawings of the car and we sent them to him. I wouldn't mind one. They apparently drive well.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/29/21 10:17 p.m.

Why yes, I would have one:

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
6/30/21 6:38 a.m.
karplus2 said:

I was a teaching assistant in a class that was reading the book. I found an owner who sent all kinds of pics and info for the students to look over. Big binder of stuff. The class made drawings of the car and we sent them to him. I wouldn't mind one. They apparently drive well.

Man, I would have done way better in school if that type of book was part of the curriculum. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/30/21 4:17 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I worked for a Dune Buggy rental place so at least 10 just from there. I'd love to have a tub buggy!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/30/21 5:12 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I think that a lot get finished, but then the novelty wears off. Or people realize that their daily is actually a more pleasant car to drive, or it brings too much attention, or some guys prefer building to driving, or....   There's a lot of finished ones out there that you just don't see that often.

johndej
johndej Dork
6/30/21 5:16 p.m.

I would love to have a Bradley GT or old Benz/MG copy cat with a hoped up vw motor and just drive the crap out of it everywhere.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/30/21 5:37 p.m.

Yes.  I love the idea, but I know myself well enough to know I'd never complete it.  I mean, I've been working on the '66 Chevy II since 2005, and while it's maybe just  a few months from running/driving, I mean c'mon it's been what, 16 years???

I'd truly love to put together something by Factory Five, probably a Daytona Coupe.  I mean, what an amazing car!

Whatever my affliction, it's hereditary.  My Dad has an ACVW Gazelle he picked up 20 years ago that sits in his garage.  I have a feeling if it ever runs, it'll be on me.

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/5/21 6:46 p.m.

The Lancia Stratos is starting to grow on me and I think the factory cars were fiberglass to boot.  Lister Bell (LB Engineering) in the UK makes a better than original version.  They use to sell kits, not sure if they still do or have they become "custom coach builders" doing the whole move-the comma-over-to-the -right on price for bespoke specialty vehicles blah, blah, blah.  Would be pretty sweet with a supercharged Toyota V6.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/5/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) :

A real Stratos is a steel semi monocoque with fiberglass hinged panels. They do structural rust at least as bad as any other Bertone car, so that means real bad. Also the doors are hung very poorly. So LB's cars might be better than the originals.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/6/21 11:15 a.m.
karplus2 said:
karplus2 said:

Man, I would have done way better in school if that type of book was part of the curriculum. 

Ooooooooooooh man, loved that book.  I keep trying to get my eldest to read it (9 yrs old), but he keeps giving it a solid pass in favor of sci/fi/fantasy (which is my fault as well)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p1he3ibFvxkuYTtjlo6adecbJX5QC6Gib185ng8I4iSOdJKblOCEouMSzFqSeNCX