1 2
JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/25/14 8:51 p.m.

Looks like ill be getting a l28et for free soon and was wondering what you guys thought i should drop it in. I dont want to put it in my dd 280zx as i want to keep it original. My first thought is get a first gen Z but i want something unusual...so any ideas?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
1/25/14 9:07 p.m.

I've seen them online in 240sx's, old Infiniti M30's, etc. Probably not the best motor to swap into anything other than a Z, though. I love these motors, but for all the work it takes to do a swap, there are more efficient modern motors out there. But in an old Z it is a fantastic swap, as it's "original", but lots more power. Check out hybridz.org for more motivation.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/25/14 11:21 p.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

Im actually a member of hybridz and i am still considering an original Z swap. Was just curious if anybody had done something just completely off the wall

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
1/26/14 12:00 a.m.

70's 200sx with Nismo flares. Replace the L20b with the L28et, proceed to do burnouts :)

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/26/14 12:21 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Dear God YES! If only i could find one... had the thought of droppin it in a first gen rx7...

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/26/14 12:26 a.m.

720 pickemup. I went to school with someone who dd'd his amazing/gorgeous 720. After he graduated he treated himself to a pain in the ass l28 swap lol.
Probably a few people who have done it on either ratsun or hybridz

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
1/26/14 12:29 a.m.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
1/26/14 12:42 a.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: In reply to turboswede: Dear God YES! If only i could find one... had the thought of droppin it in a first gen rx7...

They show up on the west coast from time to time, but they are pretty rare. Dad had a few, one wrecked ITB race car, his ITB race car and a street car (parts). Since then, I've seen only a handful of them.

The dogleg 5-speed was an interesting feature, but they were damned simple and durable cars, if not a bit funny looking :)

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/26/14 10:39 a.m.

To give a better idea of what i was thinking i would like to keep the whole project under challenge budget as well.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/26/14 10:50 a.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: To give a better idea of what i was thinking i would like to keep the whole project under challenge budget as well.

Can you weld? Because it could be cool in a lot of vehicles, and now you need something extremely cheap. Ford Fairmont, Plymouth, well, anything, etc etc.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/26/14 10:57 a.m.
turbojunker wrote:

THIS.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/26/14 11:40 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

I can indeed weld. One thought my gf had was to put it in an old station wagon and crank up the boost.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
1/26/14 11:42 a.m.

Put it in a Maxima like that photo and it bolts in.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/26/14 12:01 p.m.

Didnt some of those maximas come with an ld28? People use the crank in na builds all the time, idk if its ideal for an et but iirc with the right pistons and head it bumps it up to a 3 litre

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/26/14 1:00 p.m.

Would love an old maxima but they just dont exist around here.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
1/26/14 3:12 p.m.

This or something similar

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/26/14 3:55 p.m.
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
1/26/14 11:42 p.m.

Ok, I have to agree, the 810/Maxima is the best idea, for sure. I've heard on the interwebz that you have to switch the oil pan and pickup (front vs rear sump), but other than that it should be pretty straight forward! Dooo eeet!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/27/14 6:33 a.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Would love an old maxima but they just dont exist around here.

stop saying things like that. you're making me feel like a bad person

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
1/27/14 9:26 a.m.

+1 on the Maxima.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
1/27/14 9:49 a.m.

Some ideas other than a Maxima:

510 - I believe I've seen that done before.

Skyline - just to horrify the fanboys.

Triumph Spitfire - another way to make a Spit-Six.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/27/14 10:41 a.m.

Im assuming a skyline would have to be imported? A spitfire would be awesome...would it fit without major cutting?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
1/27/14 11:00 a.m.

Locost with T-bucket/hotrod styling?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/27/14 11:05 a.m.

610 is way cooler than 510, if you can find one.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/27/14 11:46 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Locost with T-bucket/hotrod styling?

A locost is something i want to build in the future...not sure i have the skills required at this moment.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ucR7M2dDetTr6fCm963uph1Tnl7w8NOX2nRmLrNRwlw9l4ek0GX9IlaVIO9FjZ7g