1 2 3
golfduke
golfduke Reader
3/5/13 8:40 a.m.
petegossett wrote: What kind of fighting robot does it transform into? That would largely sway my opinion of it.

My thoughts exactly!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/5/13 9:06 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah way too garish and over-the-top.
It's a Lamborghini. If it isn't way too garish and over the top it's not doing it's job. As was mentioned, it's like the Countach was back in the early '70s when it arrived like a spaceship. It's not supposed to be everyone' s cup o' tea. It's supposed to be polarizing and radical. Woudl I own it? No, but I'm glad it exists, to push those buttons.

This +10000.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/13 9:08 a.m.

I dig it.

It's like a Countach for 2013.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/5/13 9:37 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: it's ugly to grown up eyes, but what did our parents think of the Countach posters that everyone had in their rooms in the 80's? put a model in a swimsuit next to this thing, and it's the perfect poster for every 12 year old to hang over his bed..

Precisely. I had a huge poster of a mid-80's Countach in my room as a teenager. This car is the modern evolution of it. Garish, over the top, cartoonish, wild. For all those reasons....I like it.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/5/13 9:40 a.m.

All of you Countach poster people apparently have no idea what the original Countach looked like:

All the wings and jet fighter stuff and machine guns were add-ons much, much later in it's life.

In 1973 it wasn't even the most radical looking exotic car. There was the Alfa Montreal:

The Pantera:

The Boxer Berlinetta:

The Stratos:

The Bora:

etc, etc, etc.

(Full disclosure, I had the Lamboghini on my wall my entire childhood. White on, QV5000 with all the fighter jet wings. Way better than the Testarossa poster that made it into the closet...)

Also, funny to note, this:

was the best Porsche could do at the time. Kind of funny in that context.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/5/13 9:46 a.m.

I'm pretty sure this was the poster I had:

As for the new only-going-to-build 3 of them Lambo, meh. The Reventon was a far better Countach replacement, it actually looked like a fighter jet!

The Sesto Elemento was pretty sweet, too:

This new one just looks like a pile of Michael Bay barf.

(Judging by the hundreds of new Transformers toys in the discount bin, that's not going to resonate well with kids these days)

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/5/13 9:53 a.m.

how can anyone call that car ugly......if i had the money i would be trying to buy one off one of the lucky three.....this is the furture of the super car and cars in general

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/5/13 9:55 a.m.

In reply to cutter67:

It's ugly. That's how I can call it ugly.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/5/13 10:02 a.m.

It's awesome, but for 3.4 million, it should be.

I'm still waiting for the under $20,000, rwd, fuel efficient, utility minded sports hatch to be produced.

I'm biased, but I think its much more difficult to produce something cheap with high performance than something expensive with high performance.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
3/5/13 10:14 a.m.

The design is ... a bit busy.

I am glad it's out there. It happens that it's way out there.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
3/5/13 10:18 a.m.

It is beautifully ugly. Would hoon.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
3/5/13 10:23 a.m.

I posted this elsewhere, but if KITT was a Gallardo, the Veneno is what it would look like in Pursuit mode.

The looks are pretty lost on me. Of course, I'm not really a supercar kinda guy, I just don't see anywhere I could push the car anywhere near its potential and not end up dead or in jail, and if I can't push it it's just not any fun.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
3/5/13 10:23 a.m.

The concept is just like the Ferrari FXX, IMO. only you can probably take this one home with you.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/5/13 10:30 a.m.

It looks like a HotWheels, which is perfectly acceptable for a Lambo

I wish that they would produce a modern Miura.

alex
alex UltraDork
3/5/13 11:21 a.m.
nderwater wrote: It's starting to feel like we're living in *The Future!*

The future is pointy.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
3/5/13 11:43 a.m.
alex wrote: The future is pointy.

And apparently there are no steep driveways or speed bumps.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/5/13 11:45 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to cutter67: It's ugly. That's how I can call it ugly.

It will be even uglier after it catches on fire

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
3/5/13 10:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: All of you Countach poster people apparently have no idea what the *original* Countach looked like: All the wings and jet fighter stuff and machine guns were add-ons much, much later in it's life. In 1973 it wasn't even the most radical looking exotic car. There was the Alfa Montreal: The Pantera: The Boxer Berlinetta: The Stratos: The Bora: etc, etc, etc. (Full disclosure, I had the Lamboghini on my wall my entire childhood. White on, QV5000 with all the fighter jet wings. Way better than the Testarossa poster that made it into the closet...) Also, funny to note, this: was the best Porsche could do at the time. Kind of funny in that context.

we don't care what the original looked like... we were teenagers in the 80's, and the ones we know are in posters with a chick with big poofy hair (and sometimes outrageously huge sunglasses) in a weird swimsuit leaning against it.. those are the only ones that matter..

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/6/13 4:42 a.m.

this is why the lambo has always been my favorite supercar builder....if a car can make me feel like a kid again and dream of driving like i did with cars at a early age they hit the mark with me...lambo builds works of art they take the designing of cars to the extreme next level and i love them for it....

i wouldnt want to buff one out talk about edges that could be burned

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/6/13 9:21 a.m.

I still have my Lambo and Porsche posters from my childhood somewhere in the garage. I need to re-frame them. They are pretty awesome.

That said, I like the new Lambo, and I also like this sudden resurgence of crazy supercars.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
3/6/13 9:37 a.m.

I gotta admit, the Veneno is a hot mess aesthetically compared to the LaFerrari (dumb name imho). That said, it looks like the fevered dreams of an incredibly talented 10 year old as they fantasized about "what kind of car I'll drive when I grow up", which is sort of the point of Lambos to begin with.

It may not be my cup-o-tea, but it certainly is entertaining.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/6/13 10:03 a.m.

I can't decide if it's brilliant or the 2013 version of gold chains/

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
3/6/13 10:08 a.m.

I like it, it reminds me of am LMP1 car for the street.

moro
moro New Reader
3/6/13 10:13 a.m.

Too much is going on on that Lambo. The same story as with modern F1 cars: a heap of aero gubbins obstruct the basic possibly elegant shape.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad such a car exists.

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
3/6/13 10:19 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I like it, it reminds me of am LMP1 car for the street.

I had the same thought. I couldn't find a picture to illustrate it, but I remember seeing an LMP1 car with the vertical fin from the cabin to the rear of the car. That was the first thing I thought of.

I also completely agree with it making me feel like I'm 10 years old all over again. It's angular, aggressive, savagely pointy, scoopy and wingy. It's the spaceship I've been waiting for Lamborghini to build for a long time. I think it's in keeping with the Lamborghini tradition of looking Transformer-like, fighter-jet-like, with the air intakes, vents, etc.... It's the spirit everything I love about the later Countach (that I grew up admiring when I was an impressionable middle-school kid).

Ferrari can be smooth, sleek and curvy.
But I like my Lamborghinis to look more like this :)

Update: This is what it reminded me of slightly

The Subaru STi wing on the back of the Veneno and the space-ship rear diffuser are amazing :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0CgzX4lTBwMZ92RJMVqw4sY1ojQvh8Mb9X4toOWhzYUVp4ZN14sxIGOnCYNd4WKu