1 2
FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/10/12 8:35 p.m.

Coming back for it's first title defense round.

The mid-engined bomber

Lancia Scorpion/Montecarlo

vs

The new comer from Germany. The mini-Vette Opel GT

FIGHT!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
2/10/12 8:48 p.m.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/10/12 8:50 p.m.

I love them both, don't make me pick.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
2/10/12 9:00 p.m.

Scorpion

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
2/10/12 9:02 p.m.

This one is tough. I've never owned or even driven in either, I think its a safe bet that the Opal is a better built car, but the Scorpion and its connection to the 037 & Lancia's racing heritage has a strong pull on me.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/10/12 9:16 p.m.

As the OP I go Lancia on this one.

I think that is a brilliant layout, you don't have the polarizing style of a traditional mid-engined car, and you have a really useful trunk area in the front.

This would be a great car to remake for today, might even be able to sedan it.

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
2/10/12 9:16 p.m.

I've driven both. Lancia wins. Not even close.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/10/12 9:17 p.m.

Scorpion for me, although I like the Opel's too.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
2/10/12 9:22 p.m.

I'm gonna stick with the Scorpion, but I think I could go for the "right" Opel GT...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
2/10/12 9:40 p.m.

I thought about it a bit and decided that my vote has to go to the Lancia. It has one degree, or less, of separation from some of the coolest machines ever built.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
2/10/12 10:17 p.m.

Based on looks, Opel. That red one above is, as the Croc. Hunter used to say, gowajuss. I'd love to have one with modern drivetrain and suspension, oh yes, and brakes.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/10/12 10:27 p.m.

Well, depends on what you plan to do with it. Since I own an Opel GT I can defend it. The Opel is a fine car based off an economy car - the Kadette. So I would think it is more sturdy, reliable and better built. But it is basically a rebodied economy car with a bit stiffer suspension. Same engine and drivetrain as the Kadette, Manta and Ascona (1900 in the US). The Lancia is more performance oriented. So in saying all this, would I trade my Opel GT for a Lancia? No, but I would add a Lancia to the stable in a heartbeat. I do like me some Italian tin. Would trade my MK I Midget for a Lancia though. Would take that Conrero GT though especially if that door magnet comes with it.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/10/12 10:38 p.m.

looks alone.. it would be hard to choose. Performance and engineering, I would go with the Lancia. It is a lot newer than the GT and based on a better foundation.

The GT could also be had with a 1.1 litre engine.. the smallest in the Lancia was a twin cam 1800

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/10/12 11:57 p.m.

Having had some exposure to GTs at work...Lancia.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
2/11/12 12:09 a.m.

Ever since I really started learning about cars, I've wanted a GT with a modern suspension and drive train. I think S2000 would be my pick.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/11/12 1:28 a.m.

I cannot see how that would fit without big body mods. It's a low hood and the transmission is about 6" long.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
2/11/12 1:55 a.m.

That's true, the F20C is a pretty tall motor. I'd have no problem with a new transmission tunnel, though.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/11/12 5:36 a.m.

I do love the looks of an Opel GT but I see the Opel as mis-matched against the Lancia which is more exotic.
I think the Opel GT's more appropriate contemporary is the Ford Capri.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
2/11/12 6:50 a.m.

How many Opels at their last MSRP could you buy for the original price of the Lancia?

Give me an Opel Manta over both.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/11/12 7:08 a.m.

I heart Opel GT's but the Lancia wins this one, mostly due to the mid engine setup.

I was working on a rotary/Opel GT swap a while back. Those cars really aren't that bad to swap stuff into. Well, except for the whole rear axle with the strength of a toothpick thing.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/11/12 7:28 a.m.

To all the people who are commenting on apperance, age, engine size, since when does that matter here?

This is GRM!!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/11/12 9:13 a.m.

Scorpion.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/11/12 9:59 a.m.

Scorpion AND Capri, hands down.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/11/12 11:16 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: That's true, the F20C is a pretty tall motor. I'd have no problem with a new transmission tunnel, though.

You'll end up with the shifter back by the rear axle :)

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
2/11/12 12:37 p.m.

Opel.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DiqkPPiW4twkjVn5nsmiO5gKacximAeUAOa6RmmRvq3R50oPkTghOiPgzx3ym6M8