1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/31/19 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Narveen :

Epic level of suck there.  So sorry for you.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/31/19 7:16 a.m.
yupididit said:

There's a nice D2 in craigslist without an engine. Is there a way to put a LS engine in it while keeping 4wd? 

I looked into this.  It's theoretically possible, but effectively not worth it.  There are a couple of people who do adaptor plates and one company that claims to do conversions, but I've never seen or heard of an actual real, completed running vehicle that works and everything talks to each other.  Oh, and AC, forget it.

Narveen
Narveen New Reader
7/31/19 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

The fire marshal is looking into it. I drove it for less than 50 miles !!  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/1/19 6:56 a.m.

Weird zombie flex, but okay. I’ll talk discos.

99DiscoveryII
99DiscoveryII
4/9/20 1:26 a.m.

Not to ressurect an old thread but when you say it "burst into flames" does that mean caught on fire and grew or "burst into flames"?

The reason I ask is because most of the fires on these I've seen online come from the passenger side wiring loom and wires behind the dash. You need to have a fire extinguisher in your Land Rover at all times. Did they they have it?

For this to "burst into flames" suggests a serious failure in the fuel injectors with fuel spraying all over the engine. I don't see how that's posible. Did a mechanic work on the engine before you bought it ? Did they mess with the fuel injectors at all ? If you bought this ONE DAY before this happend I would think there would be a lawsuit. Please update and explain on the Land Rover Forums for all the other members. We need to know how this happened so we can keep our Rovers going. We learn from other peoples experiences or mistakes. 

If the poster could please update this.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/9/20 5:37 a.m.

old thread, but I will bite. That Disco appears to have been quite modified, big winch on the nose, lights on the roof, I am sure there was more wiring done elsewhere. All it takes is a short from a wire rubbing on something else to start a fire...

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/9/20 3:13 p.m.

The only way you pay 10K for a Rover V8 rebuild is you pay a dealer or an expensive shop to do all the work. I rebuilt my Rover 3.5 (admittedly from a late 60's Rover PB and threw much of the AluminumV8.com web site at it including the used Rover PB 3500 Block, crank and pistons (10.5 - 1), Crower 276 degree - 488 lift Cam,Heavy duty double roller chain and gears, Heavy duty lifters, ARP main bearing  studs and ARP rod bearing bolts. Rover SD1 Heads with three angle valve job and new valves (bigger ports then the stock heads), MGB block hugger headers, Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold  and Edelbrock 500 CFM carb. Mallory magnetic distributor, Mallory 8 mm wires, Bosch Platinum plugs, TS Automotive custom flywheel,  clutch, hydraulic throw out bearing, D&D GM bell housing, Camaro T5 5-speed,  Hurst Shifter, D&D custom driveshaft, Rover SD1 valve covers, Buick 215 water pump, GM alternator, custom motor mounts. I did find some of the parts used on Ebay, but did not have more than $3,500 in it.

Yes, an old thread but I still want one too, if the 4.0  or 4.6 dies of the usual liner death, you can build up a 3.5 which most do not have that problem and you can get 200+ HP from them with some upgrades. I really want  a Defender, but those have gotten pricy......

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q847nyU2i4acdLUvkDLTBPkJ1rS0mi9izjRDp26cpfukqXdpCFAZ0uW0oFFRi14q