MikenOH
MikenOH New Reader
10/11/11 7:46 p.m.

I've been doing video for a while using an old Canon digital camera but decided I need to get some accurate times on my laps.

Budget wise I'd prefer to keep this under $200 and would like to merge with video--read GoPro if possible.

There are a lot of platforms out there--some android or iPhone based but since I have neither of the phones and don't want to get under a expensive data program, these don't seem to make sense.

I've seen a cheap IR lap timer (slipangleracing) which looks like it works well but has not data component nor can be merged on video.

Anyway, that's the dilema; would appreciate suggestions on low cost laptimers with or without a data logging capability.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
10/12/11 2:02 a.m.

You could get a cheap used N60 based nokia phone, a qstarz gps recorder, and the freeware racechrono software. It doesn't have to be a phone.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
10/12/11 7:26 a.m.

SInce you mentioned the Slip Angle unit.........I just bought one: ~Link~

$55 and seems OK for my limited use (we're using if for an electric vehicle test project my college students are working on......but I'll try it in my Spridget at Watkins Glen next weekend.)

I have my SAE kids working on an Arduino-based timer using garage doors sensors (we built one already with an LCD unit and SD car holder, but are trying to improve it). Trying to build it for under $50 but we won't have it fully worked out for a while yet.

MikenOH
MikenOH New Reader
10/12/11 7:54 a.m.

In reply to MCarp22:

I'm leaning in that direction; I found a guy on youtube that used an older MOT smartphone (Q9c) combined with Qstarz GPS and a camera to do the overlay on to a video--didn't look too bad.

Since I've got a Q9c smartphone I don't use any more I want to go this way--just not sure how to do the overlay on to the video.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/12/11 8:35 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: SInce you mentioned the Slip Angle unit.........I just bought one: ~Link~ $55 and seems OK for my limited use (we're using if for an electric vehicle test project my college students are working on......but I'll try it in my Spridget at Watkins Glen next weekend.) I have my SAE kids working on an Arduino-based timer using garage doors sensors (we built one already with an LCD unit and SD car holder, but are trying to improve it). Trying to build it for under $50 but we won't have it fully worked out for a while yet.

Make sure you post your experience! I may be buying one of these if it works well for track use.

NineLivesJohnny
NineLivesJohnny New Reader
10/12/11 8:38 a.m.

i just got the g-tech rr and love it. used it at 24hours of lemons and it was the only thing that didn't brake down. but it's a little over 200 bucks

MikenOH
MikenOH New Reader
10/12/11 11:21 a.m.

In reply to NineLivesJohnny:

Can you overlay the data from it to a video? this is a gps system right?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8F2mfUkiWjOFLJfRg3hJuZ8eJA0kbiRAADlWl3XgSsTwNii6aCeY9wQE2VcKtc8u