David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/23/12 11:12 a.m.

One of our many Miatas sprung a leak. Boo.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-miata2/most-unfortunate-leak/

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/23/12 11:16 a.m.

M'k?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
4/23/12 11:34 a.m.

If it aint leakin, its out.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/23/12 11:47 a.m.

Left a temporary fix for you on the project car comment line. The radiator top tank cracked in our '97 Camry after a hard uphill pull at high altitude. Since the pressure differential was even greater than at sea level, the car was spewing pretty good. Refilling the cooling system (after a cooldown, of course) and depressurizing the system by running the radiator cap backed off a quarter or half turn meant we could drive 70 miles back home at 60 miles per hour while losing only a few tablespoonfuls of coolant.

You'd be surprised how little those pinholes will leak if you back off on the cap until the new pump arrives.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
4/23/12 2:29 p.m.

Looks like the leak is actually in the steel pipe that's pressed into the inlet. Must have rusted out. A DIY fix would be to pull that pipe out and replace it with a brass 90 degree fitting and hose barb after tapping the hole. I'd rather see a proper replacement (as you is doing), but it's an option.

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/23/12 2:47 p.m.

My Miata has a coolant leak somewhere downstream of the thermostat in the home brew reroute kit the PO put together. It never puddles, but once the stat opens, I can smell a little coolant at every stoplight.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/23/12 3:32 p.m.

My WRX seems to have a small leak from the top of the rad too!

Seems like a common problem. Time to find a rad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IZ6WDDolx26ajUSNGMb8SG77O4bcbiu3wNpetsCIPjwevuaCg4tARZNBzaT7wOb8