_
_ Dork
4/14/20 3:39 p.m.

I am looking to start cataloguing various spare parts in my garage so that I can have a quick reference as to what those parts are in size, quantity, or year/model.

these were the first thought, but that paper isn't going to last long in my garage... 

anything I can make with zip ties and duct tape? As an example, I have some factory anti roll bars I want to label the sizes of for quick reference on race day. And some coolant tanks I want to write the dates on. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
4/14/20 3:44 p.m.

Or use the paper tags, but laminate them with packing tape after writing on them. Makes them a little more waterproof.

_
_ Dork
4/14/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

That's not a bad idea. I have packing tape. That might keep them on the wire better too

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/14/20 4:53 p.m.

You need one of those old-school Dymo label makers.

For things like anti-roll bars, what about writing the info on the item itself with a marker or paint pen? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/14/20 6:13 p.m.

Bar codes !   I think you can buy already printed ones........

_
_ Dork
4/14/20 11:56 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You need one of those old-school Dymo label makers.

For things like anti-roll bars, what about writing the info on the item itself with a marker or paint pen? 

Ooh! I have one of those Dymo label makers. Used to drive my wife nuts with it. (Secret funny messages in the most random places). A paint pen might be good just because I should have one for alignments anyways.

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/20 6:56 a.m.

I picked up a yellow PaintZall pen from Milwaukee a couple years ago and it has been amazing for that sort of thing.  They've got a bunch of different colors and they're about 7 or 8 bucks.  Really does live up to its name.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/15/20 7:02 a.m.

You could get plastic tags for labeling the odd size/shape parts. 

https://www.amazon.com/White-Plastic-Labeling-Holes-50-Pk/dp/B008OVGL5K

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/15/20 7:25 a.m.
wae (Forum Supporter) said:

I picked up a yellow PaintZall pen from Milwaukee a couple years ago and it has been amazing for that sort of thing. 

Buy Milwaukee products whenever possible, so RaceTruckRon can afford to keep his build going!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/15/20 3:06 p.m.

Big things I use paint pens small things I put in zip lock bags (freezer bags) and note on them with a sharpie and if I need more information like torque specs or torque order for the part I put that on a piece of paper in the bag with them.  Usually the smaller parts also have nuts and bolts with them as well.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/15/20 3:20 p.m.

I use a label maker in combination with zip-loc bags. For some parts I've just used a sharpie to write on the outside of the box.  I then get one of those black & white speckled notebooks and put the inventory in the book

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATs1x7nW7orpf59foBZtMzDPttoqWEkm7UcuXgfCXd9hoTaM8hfUCLCE1Prw8Eho