1 2
Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/26/10 11:34 p.m.

I’m looking at these for my son to drive and for me during bad winter days (a Miata in the snow and ice kinda sux)

Anyway does anybody have some thoughts?

Thanks and junk. RS

EvanB
EvanB HalfDork
2/26/10 11:50 p.m.

Put some good snow tires on the Miata and it will get you through anything as long as it doesn't bottom out on the snow.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/27/10 9:43 a.m.

Thanks Evan but I'm not letting him have my car:-)

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
2/27/10 9:54 a.m.

In most cases, a CRV is a great answer. By no means is it a "driver's car" but they are safe, stable and reliable. Typical Honda reputation wrapped in a useful box shape. Not all versions are AWD but if it were me, I would be just as happy with the fwd version for added simplicity. As often with Honda's they are commonly high priced verses some comparable cars.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/27/10 10:23 a.m.

The AWD CRV is worth the extra money over the FWD version, they do hold their value well when compared against eachother. For the first gen, 96-01 the EX came standard with ABS and 15" wheels, and the LX had both as options only. It came in a 5-speed or automatic 4 in each trim.

The AWD is an on demand system, when the car/wheels/abs decides that you need more traction, power is sent to the back wheels. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the AWD system, and if they do its because they screwed with it. But otherwise you'll have the FWD fuel economy. 22city/25highway

The engine is a B20, which is a bored out B18 that was found in the integra base models, so there is an aftermarket of sorts for the CRV as well. The B20 will run for 200,000 miles with the standard maintenance, you will need to replace the timing belt and water pump around 100k though, like all honda cars.

What other information do you need?

Andrew

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/27/10 12:00 p.m.

Slam it, and throw a built LS-Vtec in there.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/27/10 1:57 p.m.

93celica I really like how you think!

Thanks guys for the info. The CRV is not my kinda car but I want to do the right thing for my kids.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/27/10 1:59 p.m.
Sultan wrote: 93celica I really like how you think! Thanks guys for the info. The CRV is not my kinda car but I want to do the right thing for my kids.

There's a lowered GSR swapped and turbo'd one running around the Indy/Louisville area. It's so wrong.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/27/10 2:18 p.m.

Having driven a '96 from WV to GA, I can tell you the automatics from that year are berkeleying shift-a-sauruses at hwy speed. Regardless of where you are between 70 and 85, the thing can't figure out what berkeleying gear it wants to be in. EXTREMELY annoying on long drives. IIRC, this was fixed a couple/few years into production. Might want to look into that.

Otherwise, a comfortable, reliable appliance. My brother clicked over 200k driving all around the country in his with no unexpected bs.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/27/10 2:49 p.m.

I have been really tempted to combine an early CRV with a homebrew version of these Little seats third row for a smallish people hauler.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/27/10 9:09 p.m.

Thanks guys. Searching CRV's on CL with thoughts of B20 vtec.

Oh wait. Remembered I'm not a huge fan of those. Thoughts gone.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
2/27/10 9:12 p.m.

Gamby's wife has one with probably close to 200k on it now, I don't think it has ever needed any "repairs", just wear items. Reliable as an anvil.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/27/10 9:52 p.m.
Sonic wrote: Gamby's wife has one with probably close to 200k on it now, I don't think it has ever needed any "repairs", just wear items. Reliable as an anvil.

Yeah, I used to work at a blacksmith and have broken many an anvil. Last one was a 45lb craftsman model. You should have seen the look on the face of the guy at sears when I went in to get a replacement. Lifetime warranty on a product they no longer produce. Still to this day they have not resolved that problem, lol...

Back to the subject at hand, I do really like to CRV awd into integra/civic conversions. I do understand its a PITA though, as its not a direct swap, all the suspension mounting need to be changed over to the crv parts.

Andrew

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/27/10 9:58 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: Back to the subject at hand, I do really like to CRV awd into integra/civic conversions. I do understand its a PITA though, as its not a direct swap, all the suspension mounting need to be changed over to the crv parts.

I was looking into this idea not too long ago and was told that the AWD cuts out at 20mph. Does anybody have any more information?

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/27/10 11:36 p.m.

I actually really like the styling of the first gens.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/28/10 12:09 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: I was looking into this idea not too long ago and was told that the AWD cuts out at 20mph. Does anybody have any more information?

I have no idea if that is true or not, where did you see that information at? I thought that the CRV's AWD sent power to the wheels no matter how fast you were going. But I could be wrong, If I find the speedshop that first did this, I'll email them and try to find out. Maybe you could trick the sensor somehow to engage all or a better part of the time, i dunno though.

Andrew

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert New Reader
2/28/10 7:51 a.m.

I'm pondering a first gen CRV as a winter beater so I can put a more serious suspension on my Protege. Mine is only lowered an inch with MP3 springs and I have Blizzaks for it, but the snow we got this year made for some underbody scraping action. Much lower and it wouldn't be much use in the snow.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
2/28/10 8:00 a.m.

they are wonderful commuter/winter/etc cars.

we have one (all stock, no problems) with 237k . doesnt burn a drop of oil, only has needed bushings/balljoints/etc. i've put some poly units on it, and am thinking of lowering it.

the AwD setup has a viscous coupler and a clutch-diff in the rear...its all mechanical, and very effective..

thinking of selling ours (just got a 37k maxima that is beautiful, for CHEAP)

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/28/10 8:26 a.m.
redzcstandardhatch wrote: they are wonderful commuter/winter/etc cars. we have one (all stock, no problems) with 237k . doesnt burn a drop of oil, only has needed bushings/balljoints/etc. i've put some poly units on it, and am thinking of lowering it. the AwD setup has a viscous coupler and a clutch-diff in the rear...its all mechanical, and very effective.. thinking of selling ours (just got a 37k maxima that is beautiful, for CHEAP)

So I have to ask: How much?

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
2/28/10 8:51 a.m.

I've heard the rear diffs are problematic if they don't get ~45K fluid replacements with Honda's special sauce. Otherwise, they are just a high-rise Civic. I disagree that the engine will last 200k. With regular maintenance, I would say 300k is more realistic.

All of the Hondas I've ever owned have made it beyond 200k without any unscheduled repairs or maintenance.

One of my buddys is driving around our old '94 Accord and it has 330k miles on the original clutch.

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/28/10 9:59 a.m.

Don't forget to check the exhaust valves!

Looked for a long time, bought a used '00 w/ 85K great shape, blue, AWD, 5 spd. It burnt an exhaust valve @ 98K. Honda says to adjust when noisy, it wasn't. Same Honda engine in Europe has 15K mile valve adjust go figure.
We fixed it, did some while your in there stuff (port matching, water pump, belts, etc) and it was GREAT...until my better half tail ended a Taraus wagon 4 months later.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/28/10 10:33 a.m.

I approve this message:

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/28/10 12:53 p.m.

Nice looking CRV, I'd hate to see how worn his tires are though, with that drop.

Andrew

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/28/10 1:51 p.m.

His camber looks alright to me

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
2/28/10 3:03 p.m.

You have to check and adjust the valves and change the rear diff fluid more frequently than the manual says...otherwise burnt exhaust valves and useless rear diff (i.e. power to front wheels only).

The rear diff fluid change interval warning applies to the second gen cars too (the wife drives an '02 EX-4WD with the 4speed auto).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M7u0NtBKYc7MimjTAFsrAAo2JTwO0zhM7Sn9I8gFyX8M75vwWzluvqf1mUcxt2v1