java230
java230 HalfDork
4/1/16 1:53 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Sweet! Hopefully it serves you well

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
4/1/16 3:53 p.m.

Thanks! No pics yet, but it look identical to this one, even down to the wheels.

First question - Why do some 4Runners of the same era have body color front and rear trim while others seem to have either shiny or brushed metal? Different trim package?

This one has chrome trim in the grill:

While this has a metal rear bumper cover:

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/1/16 4:02 p.m.

SR5, vs sport, vs limited I believe.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
4/1/16 4:28 p.m.
java230 wrote: SR5, vs sport, vs limited I believe.

Gotcha. I actually like the metal, as it breaks up the monochromatic look. The main thing I need to address first are the headlights. Both have condensation on the inside of the lenses, each of which are pretty yellowed at this point. I guess "blacked out" headlights are a common change? Ours has the projector style already, but i definitely need to address them.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/1/16 4:31 p.m.

I just polished a set of headlights, they took a very fine compound well. No idea on the condensation, O rings on the bulbs bad? There are breathers on the back as well. But should get any direct water spray

Groats
Groats New Reader
4/1/16 5:45 p.m.

Congrats! Looks just like mine. Grey with the decorative hood scoop. My new radiator showed up today so it should be back on the road soon. Put a hole in the old one doing water pump/timing belt.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/2/16 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Groats:

Rant warning, if they would just put the correct damn motor in the trucks the hood scoop would be functional like it's supposed to be! It's for a top Mount intercooler in the d4d motors that we can't have....

Did you go with an OE radiator? It looks like I will need one soon.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
4/3/16 4:29 p.m.

Late to weigh in, but I replaced my beloved '01 Tacoma w/ an '05 Foreigner 4 Sport V8 w/ about 115k.

The XREAS suspension is really, really good for an SUV, the V8 has plenty of grunt, and after replacing the front calipers - stuck pistons is a habitual problem - putting on an EBC rotor and pad set it stops like a race car. I balled up the Tacoma because of not enough brakes. The Sport model 4Runner has about the biggest brakes in the class.

I'm going to keep it forever.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/3/16 6:52 p.m.

Is that the Consumer Reports "special drift edition" model?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
4/4/16 9:03 a.m.

Looks great! I love that color, I would have preferred that over the lighter silver I have now. I went with mileage and features (V8 4x4 Sport) over color, though, and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm sure you'll love it!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
4/4/16 9:12 a.m.

Here is my 2003 4x4 V8. Previous owner painted the fenders and the wheels. I kind of dig it over the grey fenders that it had. It's a weird truck. It is an SR5 but it has leather and a sunroof.

Speaking of the sunroof I opened it the other day and it made a terrible noise and refused to close. I had to drop the entire headliner and upper panels to get it out to replace the cassette with one from a local salvage yard. Ughhh...

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
4/4/16 12:14 p.m.

Thanks everyone! No update yet, as I still need to get it registered in my name. It hasn't moved since I drove it home last week.

Ours did not come with XREAS. Some seem to think that's a good thing, while others would say I'm missing out. I'm happy with it as is and look forward to exercising it!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
4/14/16 6:44 p.m.

We're basically 4runner twins!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
4/14/16 7:17 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: We're basically 4runner twins!

Excellent!

Groats
Groats New Reader
4/14/16 8:11 p.m.

In reply to java230:

I ended up cheaping out and getting a Denso radiator for around $150 delivered. Did a bit of research and the Koyo radiators which were supposedly closer to OEM but had a lot of negative reviews. We'll see how things turn out. It fit just fine going in.

The non-functional hood scoop was one of the reasons I bought it back in 07 when I knew nothing about cars. It looked cool, I had no idea that it should have done something other than catch bugs.

Here is a photo of it towing the Miata cross country.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/11/18 9:59 p.m.
Osterkraut said:

Make that triplets!  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/11/18 10:58 p.m.

Combo Breaker! It is a V8, though.

grover
grover HalfDork
7/12/18 6:02 a.m.

My sister has one of these with over 300k miles.  What a great car! I love the v8 and to me, the seats are super comfy.  

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
7/12/18 7:06 a.m.

My 99 Land Cruiser with the same drivetrain (V8) has 423k miles. The starters are in the v of the engine under the intake and usually last 200-250k miles.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/12/18 9:40 a.m.
grover said:

My sister has one of these with over 300k miles.  What a great car! I love the v8 and to me, the seats are super comfy.  

I dearly miss my '08 Limited 4wd V8 4Runner. Such a nice, well driving truck.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/12/18 12:10 p.m.

I've had my 2007 4Runner SR5 nearly a year now and love it.  It only has 85k.  Mine has the V6. Here is a good read about the million mile Tundra that had the same 4.7 V8 as the V8 4Runner version:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/project-trucks/1705-million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/12/18 4:52 p.m.
MrJoshua said:
Osterkraut said:

Make that triplets!  

Did you solve your traction issue yet?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/12/18 5:32 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

New tires. Rides nice and smooth but haven't encountered any rain yet for a wet weather test. Tires for trucks are freakin expensive! indecision

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/12/18 6:52 p.m.

I put Michelins on ours and you are correct! Hope that solves the wet traction issue. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8OJ4XeiU804aY5bYnxvQ9iWy9BI2Zwe6gJ0JP8L5F5le8zS3iMW7fsOIqEpnrODe