1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/10/18 12:40 a.m.

It appears these are dirt cheap. What are the different engine options? Fuel economy differences? Things to watch out for? I assume they’re good to at least 400k, being a RWD Lexus...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/10/18 6:46 a.m.

Apparently,  owning one will leave a lasting affect on you. Be mindful  of the Boomerang Effect.  Seems you might send it away but it will return. 

GS300 is the 3.0L V6

GS400 is the 4.0L V8.  Later grew to GS430 with 4.3L V8

TGMF
TGMF Reader
6/10/18 7:17 a.m.

GS300 was the 2JZGE I6, not a v6. 

Fantastic cars. 

300's were ok power wise but the 2jz was thirsty for what it was. 

The v8 cars are where it's at. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/10/18 8:29 a.m.

My only serious issue with mine was the Mark Levinson stereo.  Sounded great, when it worked.  It takes a decent amount of effort to replace it if you get one that has the nav unit and the Levinson system together, but it’s doable, with some used parts from a non-nav GS.

Otherwise, the car was great.  Smooth, powerful, and comfortable.  I’d still have it if I had the time, space, and inclination to work on it along with my fleet of beater project cars.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/10/18 7:34 p.m.

Bump for Hess and Dculberson...

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
6/10/18 8:01 p.m.

I literally just got done building my buddies first gen GS.  Its growing into a track day car, coilovers, upgraded wheels, tires, brakes...now turbo!  Next we doing a cd009 6spd swap

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/10/18 8:11 p.m.

I have LS' and an LX.  If going for the GS400, hold out for a 98-up.  Better motor.  More HP, coil on plug, VVT, etc.  Also, although they are supposed to be the same, my 99 LS400 is faster than my 98 LS400.  Just changed the oil on the 98 today. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/10/18 8:26 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I have LS' and an LX.  If going for the GS400, hold out for a 98-up.  Better motor.  More HP, coil on plug, VVT, etc.  Also, although they are supposed to be the same, my 99 LS400 is faster than my 98 LS400.  Just changed the oil on the 98 today. 

What is your mpg like in the LS?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/10/18 8:31 p.m.

Combined city/highway, I get 24-25.  On the highway, AC on, cruise control set at 80 MPH, 26 MPG.  Add a half MPG if the AC is off.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/10/18 9:26 p.m.

Really great cars. Like tim said, the stereo is the weak point as far as reliability. I had to replace a few door lock actuators but the car had 260k miles on it at that point. You can get new lock motors for cheap on eBay and they’re easy to install. Similar life span to the climate control actuators and they’re about $120 and also easy to install. I did rebuild the front suspension and that was kind of pricey but wasn’t really needed I just wanted to tighten up the handling some. 

And yes beware the boomerang effect. They’re satisfying enough to drive that they get under your skin and it’s hard to let go.

My 2001 GS430 did about 19mpg city, 25 Highway. 

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
6/10/18 11:11 p.m.

I have a 98 GS400 - great highway cruiser, I get ~26 mpg at 80 with the AC on. It does take premium which is slightly annoing. I picked mine up for 6k last year with 98k miles on it, and besides the needed timing belt/water pump it’s been great. It has 122k miles on it now, and I’m hoping it goes to 400k! 

After looking at a few that were pretty beat up, I decided to pay more for a good example and keep it longer.  In my area (southwest) the LS400s were cheaper but my fiancé liked the looks of the GS more than the LS and it’s “her” car. I decided the V8 was worth the slight mpg hit (if any) because it spends most of its time at 80mph on the highway and from what I read the 6 got similar mileage at speed. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/10/18 11:44 p.m.

So it sounds like the big thing is to avoid the Mark Levinson, despite how great it sounds?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/11/18 10:43 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I think it is the Mark L with the Nav that is a really big issue. Probably easiest to just avoid altogether though.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/11/18 12:20 p.m.
mtn said:

So it sounds like the big thing is to avoid the Mark Levinson, despite how great it sounds?

It depends. There is a rebuilder that is Toyota certified that will permanently repair the amp in question, and it is expensive. If the car you're looking at has had the amp rebuilt, then you're good to go. That's United Radio in Syracuse, NY. I don't know what the exact charge is but it's on the order of $500 - $700, so pretty steep for a 10+ year old car stereo, but like I said, if it's been done, you're likely good to go for as long as you own the car.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/11/18 1:09 p.m.

My 98 has the Nakamichi Premium stereo, the 99 has the Lexus Premium stereo.  The Nakamichi is significantly better.  To the point that I would hold out for one if looking for another LS.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 1:50 p.m.

I haven't heard of any outlandish* complaints with the Nakamichis. Just the Mark Levinsons.

*By outlandish, I mean the problem is widespread and debilitating. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/11/18 1:56 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to mtn :

I think it is the Mark L with the Nav that is a really big issue. Probably easiest to just avoid altogether though.

The Levinson without the nav has the same failure point (amplifier), but is simpler to remove if you want to put in a different stereo system.  If you have the nav unit, you’ll need to track down non-nav heater controls to cleanly swap to a different system.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/11/18 6:19 p.m.

Its too bad about this problem with the older Levinson system. My '09 GS with the Mark Levinson system was stupendous for a stock car stereo. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/11/18 6:49 p.m.

Know nothing about the 'sound systems' .....loved the look ....thought the rear lid 

fog lamp was funky, but my major concern was the starter motor as i understand it 

is under the intake manifold....WHAAAA??? Please someone tell me this is hogwash...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/11/18 7:12 p.m.

Yeah, the starter is a PITA, under the intake manifold.  They seem to last 100K, though, and only take a Saturday to R&R.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/11/18 7:18 p.m.

Dr H.... i only wish they came with a manual.....hey, wait this is the holy grail of all that is dreamable is possible!!!! 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/11/18 7:23 p.m.

The starter lasts a lot longer than 100k miles. My 95 ls400 had close to 200k on it before the first starter problem. My gs430 had about 230k on it when I had it apart anyway so replaced the contacts as a preventative thing. 

Starter under the intake is more common nowadays. Packaging is better, keeps the starter out of the wet and debris and frees up space for exhaust routing. I know three of my six cars have the starter there and only one is a Lexus. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/11/18 7:59 p.m.

Yeah, don't forget the N* motor.  That's where they put it.  My starters go 100K, like 3 of them, and those of other LS400's I know go 100K too, so your 200K is fortunate for you.  Anyway, it's a lot more work than, say, a 4AG or a 22R, but not anything that can't be done in a weekend of casual work or a weekend day of slightly more than casual work.

I have the Factory Shop Manual set on the 99 LS400.  The 98 is virtually identical.  I also have the FSM sets on the LX470 and the RAV4.  eBay is where I got most of them.  And I have a FSM on the 4AGE 20 valve blacktop motor, in English, official printing.  I still have a set for a 87 AW11, now that I think of it. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/11/18 8:04 p.m.

According to carfax the starter in my LC was replaced at 187k

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/11/18 8:14 p.m.
malibuguy said:

I literally just got done building my buddies first gen GS.  Its growing into a track day car, coilovers, upgraded wheels, tires, brakes...now turbo!  Next we doing a cd009 6spd swap

Can these things be made to handle well, or just made to handle well for what they are?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RC6RhWvS5wFRe6mBTDrGos54Sk90IwLqDYQhBUVCflOAaGIOo8ubIH0hrtpnZYFK