nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/11/19 11:12 p.m.

Due to unexpected circumstances I found myself needing a new car, so I test drove a bunch of cars this weekend (987.1 Cayman, 987.1 Boxster, Z4 M Roadster, 228i, 335i coupe, BRZ) and ended up putting money down on the 2006 Boxster. I haven't had time to do much research yet, so I'm not sure what the common 'gotchas' are with these cars or what the most effective mods are. We've got a bunch of 986 guys on the board, but what I'm hoping to find some 987 expertise too. What do I need to know? This will be my daily driver with the occasional HPDE or autocross.

PS - I've spent the evening browsing Rennlist; Pelican is up next. Are there any GRM 987 articles I should look out for?  Thanks!
PPS - I watched the recent GRM Live video, which was extremely informative (thanks guys!) but that was mostly about 986's

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
8/12/19 12:09 a.m.

The 987 is an improved 986.  It has all the goodness with a better variocam system and it has the big more robust IMS bearing.  Get it serviced regularly and enjoy the heck out of it.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/12/19 11:07 a.m.

The car I'm targeting is a higher-mileage car and I've not had access to spend much time with it's maintenance documentation yet.  Is there anything specific that I should be worred about based on mileage?  Ex - As they age many BMWs have known cooling system issues, cars with 'sealed' transmissions often require specific maintenance intervals, etc, etc.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/12/19 11:14 a.m.

There's actually a lot of guys on the 986forum.com (part of Pelican) that have or moved on to 987s. Search the posts or ask advice there. My collection only goes to '04, so I'd just be passing on hearsay if I tried to talk about them.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
8/12/19 1:08 p.m.

Wonderful cars. Enjoy it! Go to pca.org and join PCA. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/16/19 11:50 a.m.

Just got it home. It's a lot of car for $8,500! Too bad Cayman prices aren't falling to Boxster levels yet.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
8/17/19 8:09 a.m.
nderwater said:

Just got it home. It's a lot of car for $8,500! Too bad Cayman prices aren't falling to Boxster levels yet.

Oh I like that! Good buy! 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
8/17/19 12:52 p.m.

Dang.....How many miles does that have on it to be under 10K? Good buy.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/18/19 4:13 p.m.

132k, but is got a bunch of service records.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MrxXfy42FQrw3NtmbSVNGaFECI0sgCPY3rBjaosyBfSWj7xs6VbdGbFdpyGvVgVw