1 2
beans
beans Dork
3/26/14 10:59 p.m.

I loved Silverstars in almost every car I've thrown them in. I'm really waiting for a retrofit projector/LED solution before I go and buy another kind of any bulb though, I've about 20 in my toolbox that I need to blow through once this crappy HID kit pisses me off enough. I've noticed BIG improvements with Silverstars on cars with projector headlights(both Integra's I've owned); moreso than with non-projector lights, although those improved as well.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
3/27/14 12:19 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Count me in for Silverstars. Regular ones, in the silver-blue package, not the Ultras, in the red-orange package. I didn't notice any better light from the Ultras, for $10 more.

I have done both. It seems as though it depends on the vehicle, the shape of the reflectors in the headlight buckets, and the transparency/shape of the lens. The stock 9007s in my truck sucked, but the Ultras (red-orange package) really kick some arse. BUT, I had to re-aim them. Not sure why.

In my wife's (now sold) W210 Mercedes, I tried the Ultras and they sucked big time. I replaced them with the low-end silverstars and they seemed to be much better. I really don't understand why. Its simply a color difference within the same basic bulb, but it really does seem to make a difference.

Suffice it to say that I thought I had found the "best" one, but it seems to vary. Kinda like finding the "best" wiper blade only to find out that it lifts off the windshield of your particular car at 60 mph.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
3/27/14 1:00 a.m.

It looks like your MX-3 uses 9004-type bulbs, which were a US-only type made in the mid-90s and suck something fierce. I have GE Nighthawk Platinum headlight bulbs in my Alfa Romeo 164, which are pretty darn good for what they are. The USDM 164 also used 9004-type bulbs. I got the recommendations from Candlepower forums:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?281316-Best-bulb-for-9004

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?252974-Phillips-Nighthawk-vs-Nighthawk-Sport-vs-Nighthawk-Platinum

Make sure you get the Platinums. The standard Nighthawks are OK, but the Plats are top-of-the range. I don't see them in stores but they are available on RockAuto, Amazon, eBay, etc.

I plan on upgrading my 164's headlights to the Euro-spec projectors at some point, which use H1 bulbs. Maybe you can get Euro-spec headlights for your MX-3?

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/27/14 5:42 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I tried silverstars in several of my cars and the service life is so short.

Same. Ive used silverstars several times and I dont think any of them lasted longer than a year. I liked the light output though.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/15/22 9:12 a.m.

I knew it! I searched, learn me headlight bulbs, figuring the question was asked here at some point. 

My last few cars have had factory headlights that were excellent and I felt no need to upgrade. My new car has functional headlights and not much more. They're adequate, but just, and some mornings I reach for the high beams and find that they're already on. I'm wary of LED's. Most people I ask these days have converted to them but reading about them on the candlepower forum linked on the last page I'm not seeing anything good. 

So, in the last eight years what have we learned? What's everybody using for headlight bulbs in 2022?

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
5/15/22 10:14 a.m.

Holley is offering a plug n play Retrobright LED headlight. I'm thinking of trying them in my vette

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/15/22 11:03 a.m.

Projector retrofits are still the best. Hella just came out with some sealed LED 60mm projector modules at a good price (I think intended for motorcycles) that I retrofitted into my Suburban. They are pretty easy to work with and are tiny, but they don't have the range of HID projectors and there is a little bit of hot spotting in the pattern. I've tried drop-in LED replacements and they have been hit or miss. Because there is an LED on each side of a chip rather than a filament with 360 degree exposure, they seem to put a good amount of light out to the sides but there is a bit of a hole in the pattern in the middle where you want it most. So, good in fog lights, not so good in headlights in the stuff I have tried. They seem to have glare issues the same or slightly worse than rebased HID retrofit bulbs as well.

Those Retrobright LEDs look sweet; I've been looking at them some too for older stuff.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
5/15/22 11:14 a.m.

What kind of bulbs does your car take?

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/halogens/1409801-ryan-s-guide-to-halogen-bulbs

^this is still the best upgrade for halogens.

If your car takes sealed beams, the Retrobrights are a good choice. My favourite part about them is that they offer modern performance without the JDM SHOGUN INVADER looks that most sealed beam LED replacements come with. In my Prelude I'm running J.W. Speaker 5x7 LED replacements that work fantastic, and since they're pop-ups nobody sees them unless I'm using them.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/15/22 11:51 a.m.

My car takes an H13/9008.  I'm looking at Phillips Xtremevision at this point 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/16/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

I just had the chance to read that, thanks. Looks like I'm on the right track

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners