1 2
Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
1/21/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I'm in Idaho and the route takes me within a few miles Canada, we had 31 inches of snow in about 2.5 days. Most the time I probably could get by with a car with good tires but definitely not this time of year.

Here's the tires I'm using now 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
1/21/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

Definitely!

I'm getting roughly 16mpg now. I'm willing to do that because of winter but summer.... double should be easy to get

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
1/21/20 7:26 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

It's a weird market here that, apparently, works.

I think it's the isolation plus limited internet

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
1/22/20 7:34 a.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to bcp2011 :

I'm getting roughly 16mpg now. 

16mpg is big ouch territory.  Get a Prius, you won't be sorry.  Especially a third gen if you can find one for a good price.  A 50mpg average is pretty common.  It really saves a lot at the gas pump.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
1/22/20 7:42 a.m.

have I linked this before?  or someone else, maybe?  oh well, it's worth a second embed...

if only there was an LSD for these, or the 3rd Gen.  surprise devil

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
1/22/20 7:49 a.m.

One other consideration is the Volt.  Plenty have significant miles now and are cheaper than 3G Prius of similar miles.  Depending on your route and access to a charger, the math may work out better for you in terms of total cost.  IIRC it was 35 miles on electric and after that it's 40MPG on gas, so if you need to travel really far without ability to charge the Prius may be lower total cost, but if you do 115 miles (i'm backing into your miles with 20 bucks of gas and 16MPG) I think the Volt may come out ahead depending on price of electricity near you.  

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
1/22/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

It definitely is. The only reason I'm putting up with it is the weather, I need something that can handle the snow and slush safely

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
1/22/20 10:48 a.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

I'll look into it, thanks.

I can't do really anything plug in though, I live off grid and on solar. With the upgrade I'd need to do to my battery bank it wouldn't make sense

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OkgbNgp5XDwjKWXv0g09nmnECa5DdXQvgXRYD6w8HZ4isa9KuU5Uqnp08HyfOAmv