1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 2:53 p.m.

So I'm planning on keeping the 305 in my Cutlass Extreme. Why? Because it's original, and my project car is more resto than rod. Any help with ideas on how to cheaply and relatively easily add a bit of power to my 'little' Chevy V8?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/20/14 2:56 p.m.

Seriously, yank it and drop in a 350. Much less money, much less work and better results.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
11/20/14 2:58 p.m.

I am not trying to be a jerk....

Take out 305. Install decent 350 from junkyard.

This is like $400 at most and everything just bolts in.

Everything that makes a 350 happy should help make a 305 happy.

Put on better heads, better intake, better carb, better exhaust.

Rob R.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 3:04 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

I don't have the equipment for an engine swap - the hoist and truck rental alone will cost me $400 around here.

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
11/20/14 3:04 p.m.

Heads, pistons, stroke, bore, cam, intake, headers, nitrous, blower.

The sky is the limit. One of the best uses of your money is a good set of modern heads (used is fine), and a decent carb.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Cactus:

Thanks! I've already got a Q-jet. I'm thinking that dialing in some more ignition advance, getting a good exhaust setup, adding an intake manifold, and tuning the carb.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/20/14 3:28 p.m.

Problem with the good heads is the small bore of the 305. IIRC the 3.5" bore of the 305 shrouds the valves on the "good heads" causing issues with flow/turbulence, hot spots etc.

Anything you're looking at doing that will actually make a decent amount of power from the 305 is going to require you to pull the block. If you're pulling block, don't throw good money after bad with the 305. There are plenty of us around I sure you're near someone that has a hoist that can help.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 3:31 p.m.

How much does a 350 weigh?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
11/20/14 3:31 p.m.

Set of used 305 vortec heads from a 1996-1999 305 pick up or van. DO NOT USE 350 heads on the 305!! You will need a different intake to match the heads, not too expensive through jegs, etc around $125-150. To make best use of this, you'll need a better cam too. Luckily the small block Chevy is the cheapest thing ever to build up. Cam and lifter kits are around $125. Rebuild the carb and prepare to rejet as needed. Headers can be a good upgrade, but will be a pain to install, then you need new pipes to match. This gets pricey! A good alternative is finding a set of L69 Exhaust manifolds from a Monte SS. They should have bigger outlets than your LG4 and may work with your current exhaust. You can upgrade to duals later. Make sure to double check before buying stuff! Check out montecarloss.com, most of the stuff their will apply to your car.

The biggest thing you will be fighting is the low compression ratio your motor has. Little you can do about it without changing pistons = full rebuild. At that point, get the 350. With careful work, you might get close to 200hp from the low comp 305, but that's a shot in the dark.

Did you determine what trans you have? Have you figured out which rear gear you have? If you have an overdrive trans, changing the rear end to a 3.73 will give a big change in performance. Again a used rear end from a Monte SS will be the cheap way to go. No O/D? 3.23 or 3.08.

Hit the swap meets, Craigslist, etC. Read up the G-body forums and the for sale sections.

Don't set your mind to 11 second 1/4 miles and crazy lap times. Use this to learn and have fun.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
11/20/14 3:39 p.m.

Here you go... 168 rwhp. Hotrod magazine builds a 305

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage New Reader
11/20/14 3:45 p.m.

My suggestion is external stuff. Headers, intake, carb, maybe HEI or ignition upgrades. Electric fan. Stuff like this can all be installed without pulling the motor and can all be swapped to a 350 if you decide to go that route later on down the road.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
11/20/14 3:45 p.m.

Didn't Andy Nelson have a great write-up on this on the old site? Shame the archive is gone.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 3:53 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage:

Thanks! Sounds good to me. Expect big things to come

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/14 4:28 p.m.

Solve all your problems at once.

$200 hoist

$450 engine

$800 454

$550 350

$300 Vortec

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/20/14 4:29 p.m.

I remember when Pseudosport had his... well... Monte Carlo Pseudosport, he did headers, an Edelbrock Performer intake, and an Edelbrock Performer carb. That and a rebuild to the TH200/4R made it a fun car in high school and had enough power to get us in trouble. We always wanted to do a 442 rear end and a cam.

Oh, and it was bottle fed at one point, which made it go plenty fast. It also spit rings out the tail pipes, so YMMV.

I say get an OLDS 350!

ncjay
ncjay Dork
11/20/14 4:46 p.m.

I've got a '78 Monte Carlo with a tired 305. A new 4 bbl carb from Summit, a hot coil, and a set of shorty headers has given it a bit more grunt.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 5:32 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Thanks, man. A pseudosport? Tell me more!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/20/14 6:30 p.m.

Ok so everyone here is right. The engine is low compression small bore undercammed and just bad. A 350 from a 90's truck with vortec heads from the junkyard will run circles around the 305 and fit into the exact same spot. Engine changes (not even a swap really) can easily be done on a weekend for a newcomer. They are excellent things to make friends with. You can probably find a buddy (or a buddies dad) with a hoist. I wish I had done that to my 81 Camaro at that age. Instead I bought a 86 and swapped the 2.8 for a 400. That's a bit more involved.

The deal with the 305 is that it has very small bores. That means that you can't do much to spin it faster because it won't breath. The aforementioned 305 vortec heads are the ticket if you're staying 305, but you'll be down more horsepower than cubic inches. That us to say, a 350 built to 300 hp through cam/intake/headers will only make like 220 on a 305.

Compression would help, but to do that you're pulling the engine anyway.

Find a friend. I not even close to local, but there are bound to be those who are. Post a "pizza and $50 for an afternoon of using your engine hoist" on craigslist or Kijji or whatever.

Let us know how if goes. Either way get a good used intake for that q jet, an hei, and some decent turbo mufflers.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 6:36 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Thanks! I'm saving up for a hoist. My long-term plan is to put a 350 in it, but for now I'm just doing bolt-ons. The 84s came with HEIs, so some decent turbo mufflers. What about summit racing's in-house brand? Are they any good?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/20/14 6:36 p.m.

The biggest cheap/free gain is to desmog it, delete the cat, bump the timing up a few degrees. If its one of those electronic controlled carb and distributor deals, backdate it to the older stuff.

I see you live near the border. If you have a passport, its often cheaper to just drive to the US for parts. I know a couple guys (Americans) who run parts in and out of Canada on the side, customs doesn't seem to care.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Alright. Backdate and bump. After initial smog, though. Thanks!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/20/14 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Sorry you're right. I skipped some if the basics. You can also do done tuning via the local dragstrip on that carb and distributor. Make a change and watch the trap speed. Repeat. I have found 50 horsepower that way.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/20/14 6:41 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Thanks! I know a place that has a good run-what-you-brung deal. I'll see if I can pick up a few HP that way.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/20/14 6:56 p.m.

Since you mentioned looking to AutoX in another thread, the best way to make more power is to make new friends. Seriously. Do a bunch of internet research while saving your pennies. Meanwhile start hanging out with the AutoX guys.

Maybe join a local Oldsmobile club? Suddenly you'll have access to friends with hoists, spare engines, and guys to hand you wrenches while they drink your beer (iirc you're young, so get permission before they drink your parent's beer). Just don't let them get on you for your lack of knowledge or wanting to turn corners instead of drag racing. Stick to your guns, keep your ears open, and verify the "facts" you're told by the older guys.

In the spring hit some car shows and look for G-bodys with some of the mods you're thinking of.

Don't worry if you're a bit shy. Most (but not all) organizations will be patient and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Whenever I move to a new city I join the local (Miata, in my case) club. Its a great way to meet new people, network, and learn.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/14 7:10 p.m.

Click the red sentences in my post above. Seriously.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Gob8MZWrIwkvGJoZv4sJjfiaWaNtE5Poq2hv1A2jCS1OMPCp0cM3tAYrVYxxdfz