1 2 3 4
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
9/7/16 6:48 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
NGTD wrote: ...those that are encouraging him have no idea how bad of an idea this is...-20 degrees C...No insulation on the floors....bylaws governing unauthorized camping...fines...This is a bad idea period.
Grin, you're not young anymore, are you?

No I'm not, but I am a realist.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/7/16 6:53 p.m.

You'll be a popsicle in the winter. Do not advise. Unless you can park in a heated parking garage. Even so, that sounds like a total pain in the butt. I hate having roommates, but sometimes there's no other way to afford living affordably.

sanderscharley2
sanderscharley2 New Reader
9/8/16 10:39 a.m.

I watch a guy on youtube that did exactly what you want to do. Just search for the nomadic fanatic.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/8/16 10:53 a.m.

As someone who lived in a camper every summer and for one single winter in 5th grade i wouldnt recomend it for winter living. This was on a mountainside in west virginia and it was still cold enough at night too make the heat run almost non stop.

It taught me alot of valuable lessons about living rough but i wouldnt recomend it too anyone in a cold climate.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 11:05 a.m.

Right, so it's a terrible, horrible, ridiculous idea. I should really just suck it up and get a roommate, but in real life, I'm a not especially bonding, often foul-mouthed, easily angered, somewhat obscene, and somewhat picky shiny happy person, so it's time for me to weigh other options just to make it easier on the people around me.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/8/16 11:19 a.m.

I'll echo what everybody else said, it can't be done up north without an infinite propane budget or 30 amp+ shore power.

You'll adapt quickly to freshman housing, just about everybody does. If you get a E36 M3ty roommate you bitch at reslife and move, not a big deal. As I recall you typically all get surveyed and at least halfass matched up that way anyways, they won't throw you in with a total random without any compatibility checks.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 11:20 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

It's not them I'm worried about being the bad roommate. .

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/8/16 11:30 a.m.

College is not only an academic education but also a social education. Living in close quarters with others is a good life experience. At least while you're young and broke

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/8/16 11:52 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Right, so it's a terrible, horrible, ridiculous idea. I should really just suck it up and get a roommate, but in real life, I'm a not especially bonding, often foul-mouthed, easily angered, somewhat obscene, and somewhat picky shiny happy person, so it's time for me to weigh other options just to make it easier on the people around me.

So you're an American, and not Canadian? I'm confused...

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
9/8/16 12:00 p.m.

As someone who could never follow rules and dropped out of college because I knew better looking back now there may have been something to doing things more like everyone else is. Unless you can drive a bus where foul mouthed, angry, somewhat obscene people like myself make an ok living in exchange for not having free time, personal lives or health.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

It's not so much not following rules, it's that when I don't like the rules, I explore every technicality and reel in every inch enough to make the rule-maker's life a living hell without technically breaking any of them. My fight or flight response turns me into a petty shiny happy person.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/8/16 12:11 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I should really just suck it up and get a roommate, but in real life, I'm a not especially bonding, often foul-mouthed, easily angered, somewhat obscene, and somewhat picky shiny happy person, so it's time for me to weigh other options just to make it easier on the people around me.

Or, you know...instead of just accepting that you're a shiny happy person and going out of your way to structure your life so that you don't upset people you could just work on not being a shiny happy person as often. That way, you improve yourself, and don't have to live as a hermit in a camper.

The real world is tough. Your patience will be tried, and your temper will be tested by other people. I'm guessing that the sooner you learn to interact with all parts of society without lashing out or letting it get the best of you, you'll probably be a happier, healthier individual for the rest of your life.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/8/16 12:22 p.m.

I really dont mean to sound like a dick, the following is meant as a frank question/discussion.

You have realization of what you are doing, what about learning to exercise some self control over the behaviors you are pretty much admitting are dick moves?

It really is part of growing up, but it kind of sounds like you dont want to face those aspects. I get it, you want life your way, but part of growing up is learning that you cannot have it all your way. Pretty much in short, learning to pick one's battles.

I hear you on the roommate thing. When I was your age I thought I would tear a roommate apart. My first roommate was a dick. (played WOW until 5am, refused to use headphones in a 1room dorm, microwave popcorn 4-5x a day, 10 years later and I still have some things that smell of artificial butter, played with making his own fireworks in the dorm...) I lived. I ended up with a group of friends who pretty much agreed that my roommate was a dick. The RA hated my roommate too and became a friend because of it. It lasted one semester, so... only a few months... (next roommate was great, was a really good friend)

In the long view, as far as life lessons, learning to suck up short term crap is valuable.

Best rule of roommates is the golden rule, treat him how you would like to be treated. the lessons from dealing with that have DIRECTLY applied to my career. I put up with a boss I really disliked for awhile and it allowed me to stick around and get a better position, rather then losing the plot. Before that, I managed to suck up 3 years in a position that wasnt rewarding, but it opened the door to be hired by the client to a good position where I made more than 150% what I did before.

I know you want to knee jerk and avoid, but if you can exercise some self control it really pays off. Its a hard thing to learn, but it is a big personal development thing.

In short, understand where you are coming from, was there myself, my hindsight indicates it was well worth sucking up.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/8/16 12:24 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to Wall-e: It's not so much not following rules, it's that when I don't like the rules, I explore every technicality and reel in every inch enough to make the rule-maker's life a living hell without technically breaking any of them. My fight or flight response turns me into a petty shiny happy person.

Nobody likes rules. That's why they have to make rules.

It's like work, if it was awesome, they wouldn't have to pay us.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 12:29 p.m.

If I was in your position with your roommate, I would play obnoxious stadium rock while he was playing without headphones, not enough to be overpowering, but just loud enough to make him reconsider. I go through life with the viewpoint of "as long as it's not the hand that feeds you, if it's hitting you, that's practically an invitation to at least nip it a little."

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/8/16 12:34 p.m.

There is a time and a place for escalation. Sometimes though it's better to just let it roll off your back and save yourself the emotional effort. You don't learn that stuff living by yourself in a van in the WalMart parking lot.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 12:35 p.m.
STM317 wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I should really just suck it up and get a roommate, but in real life, I'm a not especially bonding, often foul-mouthed, easily angered, somewhat obscene, and somewhat picky shiny happy person, so it's time for me to weigh other options just to make it easier on the people around me.
Or, you know...instead of just accepting that you're a shiny happy person and going out of your way to structure your life so that you don't upset people you could just work on not being a shiny happy person as often. That way, you improve yourself, and don't have to live as a hermit in a camper. The real world is tough. Your patience will be tried, and your temper will be tested. I'm guessing that the sooner you learn to interact with all parts of society without lashing out or letting it get the best of you, you'll probably be a happier, healthier individual for the rest of your life.

I'm usually a rather reserved guy, but if you disturb my sleep, or ding my car and walk away, or eat my food, as long as I'm not trying to get money from you, you can be guaranteed that you will experience something equally as unpleasant sooner or later. If you want to drink every evening, I'm fine with that as long as you clean up any mess you make, and pay for any damaged stuff. Do you smoke? That's fine, as long as it's not in my car or inside with me. As long as you're not directly causing me any aggravation, and do your part in the world, I'm fine with it. It's the moment you start pushing the line when I start to push back harder.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/8/16 12:44 p.m.

Assuming you get a job after you go to school, you'll probably have to spend more time with your coworkers than you will with roommates- call it practice.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/8/16 12:49 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
STM317 wrote:
Or, you know...instead of just accepting that you're a shiny happy person and going out of your way to structure your life so that you don't upset people you could just work on not being a shiny happy person as often. That way, you improve yourself, and don't have to live as a hermit in a camper. The real world is tough. Your patience will be tried, and your temper will be tested. I'm guessing that the sooner you learn to interact with all parts of society without lashing out or letting it get the best of you, you'll probably be a happier, healthier individual for the rest of your life.
I'm usually a rather reserved guy, but if you disturb my sleep, or ding my car and walk away, or eat my food, as long as I'm not trying to get money from you, you can be guaranteed that you will experience something equally as unpleasant sooner or later. If you want to drink every evening, I'm fine with that as long as you clean up any mess you make, and pay for any damaged stuff. Do you smoke? That's fine, as long as it's not in my car or inside with me. As long as you're not directly causing me any aggravation, and do your part in the world, I'm fine with it. It's the moment you start pushing the line when I start to push back harder.

The adult thing to do in those situations would probably be to make it known that you don't appreciate it, and then escalate if it becomes a pattern of disrespect. The vast majority of humanity does stuff without considering how their actions effect those around them, but if you bring it to their attention most reasonable people will try and amend the problem. What I'm saying is, they probably don't realize their actions are bothering you unless you make it known. And there's usually a way to make it known without being a shiny happy person right back at them.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 12:56 p.m.
STM317 wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
STM317 wrote:
The adult thing to do in those situations would probably be to make it known that you don't appreciate it, and then escalate if it becomes a pattern of disrespect. The vast majority of humanity does stuff without considering how their actions effect those around them, but if you bring it to their attention most reasonable people will try and amend the problem. What I'm saying is, they probably don't realize their actions are bothering you unless you make it known. And there's usually a way to make it known without being a shiny happy person right back at them.

I respectfully disagree because in all of the above scenarios, the perpetrator should know that what they're doing is wrong. And if they really are that stupid and/or entitled, then may god have mercy on their soul.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
9/8/16 12:59 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Assuming you get a job after you go to school, you'll probably have to spend more time with your coworkers than you will with roommates- call it practice.

Exactly.

Where are you going to school again?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/8/16 1:04 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I respectfully disagree because in all of the above scenarios, the perpetrator should know that what they're doing is wrong. And if they really are that stupid and/or entitled, then may god have mercy on their soul.

Have you actually met... other humans?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/8/16 1:06 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Yes. They're okay, I guess.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/8/16 1:11 p.m.

G-Body, you are being given (free of charge) some amazingly solid advice on maturity and growing up. Instead of appreciating what is given you're digging in your heels and sounding more like a truculent adolescent by the minute.

Take a breath and realize that you are not yet an adult and have significant growing and learning ahead of you. But your attitude right now is starting to annoy the adults in the room.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/8/16 1:15 p.m.

I think I was exactly this ignorant 3 years ago. I still am that ignorant, I'm just self aware now.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dhMdJANg5KDBU5ZI9KVXxS0SbIU16aVp6HcHMvYiuYbTnVvuEeWxuQp2c5cMJbLy