1 2
Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/15/19 10:10 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Is a W12 Phaeton or A8 really likely to offer radically different reliability than the Bentley?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/15/19 10:31 p.m.

Just saying... “Hey, remember that time I owned a Bentley?” is a whole different level of fun storytelling than “Hey, remember that time I owned a Audi/VW?”

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/16/19 6:59 a.m.
nderwater said:

Just saying... “Hey, remember that time I owned a Bentley?” is a whole different level of fun storytelling than “Hey, remember that time I owned a Audi/VW?”

Yeah, but your story will just be dismissed  by passersby as the ramblings of a deranged homeless person after the car bankrupts you and takes everything you care about. "I used to drive a (insert expensive, high end, overly complicated VW product here)! It was the finest automobile ever crafted, until it wasn't. Beware the siren song of massive depreciation! Repent!"

Image result for homeless

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/16/19 7:51 a.m.
Mike said:

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Is a W12 Phaeton or A8 really likely to offer radically different reliability than the Bentley?

The Phaeton, no.  It's the same chassis as the 4dr Bently Flying Spur.  Just different body panels, different interior and 2 turbos stuck onto Bentley's version of the W12.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/16/19 9:04 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Could be a sweet deal.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-bentley-continental-flying-spur-7/

I don't look at Bring A Trailer very often but I'm a little surprised to see them offering a car from a dealer - I thought they only featured cars from private owners.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/16/19 5:01 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
wearymicrobe said:

Could be a sweet deal.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-bentley-continental-flying-spur-7/

I don't look at Bring A Trailer very often but I'm a little surprised to see them offering a car from a dealer - I thought they only featured cars from private owners.

Bring a trrailer is getting WEIRD> I just drove 800 miles in one day with a check for a R8 that ended up being at a dealership that was hiding damages and a few other small things. Walked form the deal. It ended up on BAT about month later and I contacted them directly about the car being misrepresented along with a few others that dealer had and they never once got back to me. 

I inspect cars, its what I do I am good at it. If I tell you its been hit, its been hit. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
4/16/19 5:10 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

BAT is all about that money. I don't even go up there anymore. Most things go for inflated prices.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/17/19 5:09 p.m.

Well, according to the salesperson I talked to the CGT I was interested in has gone to auction. That was two days ago, and it's still on their site.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/17/19 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Mind posting the link?  If it went to a big auction like Mannheim I should be able to find out what it sold for with the vin.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/17/19 8:11 p.m.
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/17/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

That’s a good looking car.  I’ll give it a few weeks and see if I can find out what it sold for.

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
4/18/19 10:35 a.m.

I have "heard" this so take this with a huge grain of salt... (0 firsthand experience)

Bentley Continental's have a vacuum line that runs through an area that can't be accessed without pulling the engine.  This line is prone to fail due mostly to age rather than mileage, and can be a 20k+ repair.

I saw an auction on BAT recently where the seller had to have it done, and he posted the 20k+ receipt...

I hope I "heard" wrong, because these seem like so much car for the <40k price they seem to be selling for...

(I want one)

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
4/18/19 12:46 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

I have "heard" this so take this with a huge grain of salt... (0 firsthand experience)

Bentley Continental's have a vacuum line that runs through an area that can't be accessed without pulling the engine.  This line is prone to fail due mostly to age rather than mileage, and can be a 20k+ repair.

I saw an auction on BAT recently where the seller had to have it done, and he posted the 20k+ receipt...

I hope I "heard" wrong, because these seem like so much car for the <40k price they seem to be selling for...

(I want one)

I've heard the same thing. But, $20k vs doing it yourseld, for nowhere near that amount....DIY. Also, those "while you're in there's" will increase the price.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
5/20/19 7:01 a.m.

The car hasn't come off the site, but they've adjusted the price down $3k. I'm guessing here: either the salesperson fibbed or the auction failed. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/14/21 8:49 a.m.

Nothing to add other than I remember that Brock Yates drove one for the One Lap Race many years ago. He was not competing, just jumping from track to track and supporting the event. What better car to jump across large portions of the US at speed? I don't have a photo, but here is one from 2021 because it is awesome.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/24/21 1:32 p.m.

Interesting to see this thread get bumped. I... went a different direction.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
12/24/21 4:03 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to yupididit :

The dude's full-time job is YouTube video. How is the entire accomplishment for the week welding a damn bolt. What do you do all day?

There's the filming, editing, narrating, finding sponsors, defending oneself from comments under pseudonym accounts...just so much to do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KG94RAGbMuuCUpg2ZbMz0g9yFOv3djzRHOvcX0Fl3uuU8pcR7qr53kPJiS7YUfHd