1 2 3
NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 9:15 a.m.

Never thought I'd be asking this, but learn me all about Hyundai's weirdo 4-door turbo boost buggy. As I look for a fun replacement to my POS Subaru Baja, I have considered the 8th-gen Civic Si, the Ford Focus ST and maybe the Infiniti G35x. But I remembered these oddball little cars after seeing one the other day. And I love me some odd cars. 

Now, I know these weren't exactly the belle of the hot hatch ball (As I recall, that was due to some handling funkiness) but this car won't be a hardcore/primary autocross car. That's what my blown Miata is for. It'd be more as a fun DD that I can take on roadtrips (the Miata is starting to get a little too extreme and old and cantankerous and has stranded me once, and almost stranded me several other times) and run at the occasional autocross if the weather is bad or I just don't feel like beating myself up in the Miata. 

The numbers seem pretty solid at 201hp and 2800lbs. I seem to recall Bobzilla saying that these were a tune away from some respectable numbers. No LSD I don't think, but oh well, again not serious race car. Strut up front and twist beam axle out back aren't the most exciting, but at least they are cheap easy to work on, and they aren't necessarily the death of a fun car. After all, the Focus ST makes do with the same. I'm sure wheels, tires and alignment probably helps along with a sway bar. I read the suspension isn't crazy stiff from the factory, so that means it's less likely to beat me up over NY's generally poor roads. Bigger brakes from the factory, which is nice. I like that the Turbo ditches the base Veloster's dumb bucktooth front end. Decent fuel mileage (certainly better than the G35X).

Seems like I can find these at 60-80k miles for about 9 grand, which is better than the Civic Si or the ST, both of which don't seem to tip into that price range until they hit the 120-140k mile range. 

So, what am I missing? Any cons (explodey engines or transmissions or something)? Or am I headed down the right, if unfrequented, road? 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/4/19 9:17 a.m.

civic si has lsd... just saying.. gonna help that out of corner 1 wheel peel

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Oh, I know that, but again, this isn't going to be predominantly a race car, so I'm not terribly hung up on that. Most 8th-gen Civic Si I look at either are $3k but have a billion miles, or are low miles but for $15k/ No real middle ground.

Fueled by Caffeine
11/4/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

yes. in my 5 seat fun/track car thread it seemed to be the clear winner.  The dash is weird.. but beyond that a pretty good car. I am interested in the veloster, but it just never seemed to pull it together.  I don't have first hand knowledge tho...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Its interested just how little information I find as far as reviews or test comparisons. But mostly my interest is just in a car that I can zip around town in, which the power-to-weight seems like it'd be at least not a penalty box like my Subaru Baja. Or take on a longer roadtrip and still enjoy, while not rattling my teeth out and deafening me and stranding me, like my Miata does currently.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
11/4/19 9:43 a.m.

Ex-BiL had (has?) one. The one thing I really remember is that it didn't seem to have the same level of refinement that Hyundai/Kia products really started nailing in the early-mid 2010's. The platform dates back to 2008 and is shared with the Accent so I guess that makes sense.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with them aside from the fact that they would probably be at the bottom of your list in the "general feeling of cheapness" category. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but depending on your usage something to consider.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 9:45 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I don't think there is really anything wrong with them aside from the fact that they would probably be at the bottom of your list in the "general feeling of cheapness" category. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but depending on your usage something to consider.

Considering I'm coming from a E36 M3box Baja, and before that a $500 '97 Grand Cherokee, and before that an $1100 Subaru Loyale with a 3-speed and no heat, it's probably going to still feel like a Cadillac. Everything is nicer when you have low standards laugh

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
11/4/19 10:18 a.m.

I like Hyundai/Kia and have owned a couple. Problem is they don't have the aftermarket support that  8th-gen Civic Si and Ford Focus ST. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 10:22 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I probably wouldn't do much more than wheels/tires, a sway bar, exhaust and a tune, all of which I see are available. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 11:55 a.m.

Kind of surprised that Bobzilla hasn't weighed in yet

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/4/19 12:25 p.m.
NickD said:

You have to bait him. Watch:

ThE HyUnDaI xG300 iS a Bad CaR! sAd!

Now we play the waiting game. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 12:47 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
NickD said:

Oh, right, silly me. I forgot.

Fueled by Caffeine
11/4/19 12:58 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
NickD said:

honda and toyota deserve their quality ratings..  

_
_ Dork
11/4/19 3:07 p.m.

The first thing to know is that it's not a 4 door. (Unless you count the hatch?). It's two doors on the curb, and one door on the driver. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:16 p.m.
_ said:

The first thing to know is that it's not a 4 door. (Unless you count the hatch?). It's two doors on the curb, and one door on the driver. 

I was counting the hatch. Usually they are 3-door and 5-door hatchbacks, so the Veloster by that logic is a 4-door hatchback.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/4/19 3:28 p.m.

One of my best buddies pulled the trigger on one as his first new car. It has been a complete piece of E36 M3 with very little in-town-only driving. Currently at the dealer for the godzillionth time for massive oil-consumption that they can't seem to diagnose.

Even without the oil-consumption issues, I wouldn't park one in my ass if I had room for a freight train. It is a wheezing bag of ass. I'd sooner buy a Honda Fit from Hennessy Honda of Woodstock.

YMMV.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/4/19 3:30 p.m.
NickD said:

His job load has expanded a bunch, so he doesn't have as much time to surf the board

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:38 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
NickD said:

His job load has expanded a bunch, so he doesn't have as much time to surf the board

Ah, that's understandable. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/4/19 3:40 p.m.

funner stuff

These have a lot of potential. Its a set of shocks/struts and rear bar from being really good handling. Tune fixes the lazy throttle and finds a stupid amount of power 

go faster stuff

I did the math recently and for about $10k you can get one, tune it, fix the suspension and have one helluva fun car.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:40 p.m.

And just like that, he appears!

I have poked around on the Pierce Motorsports website a little, just out of curiousity for upgrades. Looking at the one ECU tune, there is an option for "Pop and Bang." Boy, that box would be hard to not check off.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/4/19 3:43 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
Jordan Rimpela said:
NickD said:

honda and toyota deserve their quality ratings..  

Something was making my hair stand up on the back of my neck, now I know what it was.... you people are evil.And funny. Funny evil. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:45 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

It is a wheezing bag of ass.

Try driving a non-turbo Baja, like I have now. 165hp with no low-end torque, 3500lbs and a transmission with a 1st gear ratio that feels way too tall and a 5th gear ratio that feels way too short. Again, low standards make everything better.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/4/19 3:46 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Ex-BiL had (has?) one. The one thing I really remember is that it didn't seem to have the same level of refinement that Hyundai/Kia products really started nailing in the early-mid 2010's. The platform dates back to 2008 and is shared with the Accent so I guess that makes sense.

It's not the same chassis as the accent, it's the same as the '10-13 Forte, and the '11-up Elantra. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/4/19 4:01 p.m.

My vote is to continue your search for an 8th gen Si. Mine was in the middle price wise. Got it 3 or 4 years ago with 183k on it for $5k. They're all highway miles so the car still feels really tight. It needed new clutch hydraulics and it needs the AC fixed. Aside from that it hasn't needed anything. I'm the third adult owner.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/4/19 4:03 p.m.

also, since we're talking Hyundai... and you're considering G35's...

any reason not to look at Genesis Coupes?  Other than the whole RWD and snow thing?  I think you'd want to stay way from the track models (other than maybe finding one of the lsd's in the yard) for the smaller brakes and easier wheel swapping/winter-tiring?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Nt3kiQHrp3nb0rEibXeswn7t39JkucGnMq2V7gRPjkkO4j0ReFmzKA5TGF7CA4H