3 4 5
bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
2/26/19 10:24 a.m.

I disagree.  Without the center caps, they look odd with the one solid spoke on the wheel.....

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
4/28/19 10:17 p.m.

Spring is here, so I got some new tires for the wheels I picked up a while ago. 285/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks.

 

Also had to get some cooling fans on the thing, temp starts getting higher than thermostat opening now that it's warming up. Snagged an aluminium shroud on eBay during one of those 15% off coupon sales. Fans are off 13+ Pathfinder, sawed in half to fit the spacing in the shroud. Just used bolts and washers through the shroud to mount, I didn't have time to figure out a rubber mounted setup.

 

They're ghetto wired right now to a toggle switch inside the cab. Used the factory 30A Aux power posts to a pair of generic 40A relays I packed the terminals with dielectric grease. Anyone have a junkyard source for larger amperage underhood relays? I've used the fan relays from Volvo 850s before but they're a bit scarce around here.

I've got a $20 amazon programmable controller for aquariums and homebrewing that I'll be using for fan control once I get it put it. Co-worker has one on his Frontier, way better than those crappy POS that mount into the rad fins. I've got the factory 13+ pathfinder controller that has the ability to adjust fan speed as well that would be nice if I could figure out what it wants for input.

 

The new tires rubbed at the front on the passenger side so I trimmed the chin spoiler a tad, and at the back on both sides.

 

Cut up the fenders and moved the opening back a bit at the bottom, probably about an inch.

 

The RF fender had a little bubbling that flaked off

 

I poked at it and found it was a hole.

 

The plan is to take off the chrome trim, grind everything down to bare metal, coat in something (POR15? doesn't seem to work the best on clean bare metal, open to suggestions) then cover it with factory style flares painted white.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
8/17/19 8:09 p.m.

Did new front pads, rotors, and hoses. Old hoses were original and starting to crack, and it had a brake pulsation. Not sure if it's the pads or the hoses but the pedal feels better....and it had fresh fluid before. First time I've experienced that. Bought the cheapest rotors and hit them with caliper paint to try and slow the rust. Went with powerstop extreme Z36 pads.

 

Got a new alignment machine at work, got to play with that. Need to get some new left front upper control arm bushings, the eccentrics are seized in mine. Looks like the rear end is a bit shifted too. I've yet to do anything about that.

 

Hauled some concrete. Busted up our side steps. It's so handy having a truck around.

 

With summer I needed a better way to control the electric fans rather than the manual switch. Using an Inkbird controller, it's meant for aquariums and DIY brewing setups but works well here and was $20 CAD on amazon. You can dial in when you want it to come on, when you want it to shut off, and minimum run time.

 

I put the temp probe on the radiator side of the thermostat housing and wrapped it with insulation.

 

AC was leaking from the high pressure service port. It's got a weird rubber coated ball valve instead of a normal schreader valve and rather than buying a whole new hose set I figured I'd try filling it with JB weld for now. Working well so far! The only thing I need to change is to re-wire the e-fan relays so one or both come on with the compressor clutch.

 

 

The e-fan have uncovered another weakness, and that's the charging system. Warmed up in gear with my foot on the brakes the e-fans drag voltage down to 11.7V. Even with the fans off, with just idling in gear and the blower on speed 3 it's under 13V so my alternator is getting tired.

Scored a couple alternators from the junkyard.

 

The one on the right is from an old Escalade, bolts right in and is rated at 140A vs my 105A. Just need to swap out the connector. The DR44G is a 145A unit from a '05 1500 and also bolts in, but I learned after taking it home that it's computer controlled. Apparently it'll only do 13.2V if left alone, but there's a writeups to build controllers using an Arduino, or I might be able to swap out the regulator for a dumber version.

 

Final update is I scored a Yukon clutch type LSD for the rear end. It's got a 3:42 open diff in it now.

 

$200 CAD got me the LSD carrier, plus an extra rear diff with 3:73s and the matching front diff. Excited to get that in!

 

3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
MFK3wWKWnTN8RzjJj3DBOkW4pKaL5w3sr7EHvxS6nfSPO521a3mcftDYTgkLYoOM