bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
3/14/22 9:16 p.m.

My wife and I took a long drive in the Elise this weekend. We both agreed that it would be a fun car for a road trip through some nice curvy roads, except for the noise level. The aftermarket exhaust and lack of sound deadening make it a challenge to talk and causes ear strain after more than about an hour. I have similar plans to tour in the Midlana when it's done, but suspect it will be even louder.

I'm looking for something like a motorcycle intercom, but in headset form. An aviation headset would be perfect except I am hoping not to have to plug into a jack.  I haven't run across any product that fits the bill. Any thoughts?  As usual the cheaper the better! wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 10:24 p.m.

I use Peltor helicopter headsets attached to a Peltor rally intercom. I had to swap the plugs. Because they have wires, they always work :) You're not moving around much so the cord isn't a problem. 

Better choice might be good earplugs to cut the ambient noise. I wear them on Miata road trips. 
Etymotic Research ER20XS... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015IQ6HI4

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/15/22 7:36 a.m.

Sampson Racing Communications
https://www.sampsonracing.com/bluetooth-racing-technology-s/1967.htm

They have a full bluetooth radio communication system. Expensive but you wont have to worry about it not working.

We use their wired system with some Baofeng radios in the Champ Car and it works perfectly on the entire course. The wired versions are somewhat reasonable compared to the bluetooth stuff so you may want to look into a wired system to keep costs down. Plugging in isnt that bad especially if you have a nice radio box and keep the headsets in the car.

iansane
iansane Dork
3/15/22 11:00 a.m.

In the lowtech aspect, a good set of earplugs makes things pretty easy actually. I used to regularly road trip my trans am convertible. With the hood exit exhaust it was anything but quiet. With just a pair of cheap foam earplugs I could listen to the stereo and talk with passengers with ease. Plus I didn't get that ear strain/headache after extended periods.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
3/17/22 12:04 p.m.

Thanks guys. Ear plugs are a good option for solo travel, but my wife likes to chat when we are driving together.  

It seems like something like this might be the easiest and cheapest option since I already have a nice aviation headset, and if all goes according to plan my wife will also need a pair for flying in the near future.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/31/22 11:09 a.m.

"When Midlana is done...", yes!

A couple things to consider is whether you want to play music as well, and/or answer your phone; there are models that can do that. Also, active noise cancellation can be *very* nice, but is expensive.

I agree about a wired set up, cheaper, more reliable, and they just work. You can put the connection panel on the ceiling to give others that you're a serious driver :)

roys101
roys101 New Reader
9/22/23 1:08 a.m.

I have milsurp DC helicopter headsets with u174 plugs. I'd like to use them in an intercom system for my Jeep Wrangler. Is there an intercom control box out there that will work? DIY plans anywhere? Bad idea to begin with?

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
9/22/23 4:36 p.m.

I believe Racing radios in Fonest Park Ga have  an Intercom box that they put into Side x Side off road vehicles.

Might be worth Googling

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/22/23 4:42 p.m.

The plugs aren't really a problem. Get the pinout of both and you can change them to whatever the intercom uses. Like my Peltor helocopter headsets that I re-plugged to work with my Peltor intercom.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/23 10:55 a.m.

Just an FYI. You should check local laws about using headsets. If you were to be in an accident when waring them it could make things your fault whether it was or not.  

Other than possibly a full on track car. If you are thinking you need headsets it is really telling you that exaust work is needed. 

roys101
roys101 New Reader
9/26/23 7:40 p.m.

Where I live, we have a huge area of sand dunes. I like to run around with my hard top off, and in the wind, it gets pretty loud. So I would mainly use the coms off road.

But I will check the laws. Thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XqzhkvuRO3mfPJjPt2W7GnwuodmdUP8UgAvGHffaCE1k5lFtfl7b8FnFRRP3hT0i