RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
9/9/18 8:24 a.m.

Thinking of trying auto-x next season with my daily and I'm thinking of what tires to get. I know Hankook RS4/Falken Azenis RT615k last forever for track days, but would they also be good for autocross? I know it's more important for tires to heat up quickly in autocross so I don't know if the above two choices stand for auto-x. I don't want RE71R's because I don't even know where I'm going when I autocross (tried auto-x once and was HORRIBLE). Was also thinking of just getting Federal 595RSRR's (or single R's) for cheapo grip. Suggestions?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
9/9/18 8:33 a.m.

I'd suggest Firehawk Indy 500s.  They're cheap, last forever, and do a good job for daily driving.  I put something like 100 autocross runs on mine and they were only half worn before the car was totalled.

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
9/9/18 8:42 a.m.
red_stapler said:

I'd suggest Firehawk Indy 500s.  They're cheap, last forever, and do a good job for daily driving.  I put something like 100 autocross runs on mine and they were only half worn before the car was totalled.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry the car was totalled.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/9/18 8:53 a.m.

I run Sumitomo HTR-Z III tires on the P71. They are pretty good all around tires. They work well for track days, autocross and DD duty with my son driving. They are also reasonably priced. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/9/18 9:05 a.m.

I came here to say rs4 or rtk615

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/9/18 9:11 a.m.

What car? Some tires are size limited. 

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/10/18 7:14 a.m.

Ill second the sumitomo HTR ZIII. Have some on my wrx and they are great for all around stuff. Pretty sticky but last forever.

aw614
aw614 Reader
9/10/18 8:11 a.m.

It took around 10k miles to wear out my sumitomo HTR ZIII on my GTI with mixed use. But I think my main autox site being a grippy concrete WWI airstrip probably did not help with tire wear. 

Unsure on the number of runs I took however, but I found them "good enough" for the causal backup autox car if I didn't feel like driving the integra to events. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OoLyAHMxsAE9687Ww90IQ3Tqx9mvqTRVdjIoc2Bm0pIOorED08wb27YHlIUfQPgD