1 2
Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/30/22 7:18 p.m.

Particularly the first generations. I'm seeing some for cheap. I'm looking for a work vehicle. Must be wagon, preferably AWD but not required. Under 7k. These keep popping up, but I've never bothered learning about them since they aren't exactly "sport car" material. (Unless someone knows something I don't?)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/30/22 7:25 p.m.

CX-7, CX-9, CX-5, CX-3, CX-50, CX-30?

Listed in the order of their introduction. 

I wrote extensively about CX-7 in this ole thread

Net message: 2.3t and awd = bad.  2.5L and fwd = good. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/30/22 7:31 p.m.

There are two generations of the CX-9, the first one was Ford-based, the second is Mazda-only.

How big and how many seats do you want?

Defined motorsports
6/30/22 7:34 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Ok, and why? It seems like would really enjoy dailying a mazdaspeed with awd. Learn me. 

edit: read your post in that link. Oil consumption and weak awd. Noted. 

Defined motorsports
6/30/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Don't need that many seats. The wagon bit is for parts hauling and tools. I do mobile repair (appliances). 

hey, which member had the mazda5? I suppose those could be on the docket as well. I own a '09 NC, may as well keep it in the family and era. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/30/22 7:40 p.m.

I had a 12 mz5, 207,000 miles. It was a sporty mini mini van."Sporty".

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/30/22 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Defined motorsports :

I have no particular love for the Mazdaspeed6 either but, now imagine the complexity of the Mazdaspeed6 drivtrain in the hands of non-car people who drive SUVs. 

Too complex of a vehicle for too simple of a customer base.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/30/22 7:46 p.m.

Here is the extensive, 22 page, GRMer Mazda5 thread

Defined motorsports
6/30/22 7:48 p.m.

Well now I done found this! 

Defined motorsports
6/30/22 7:54 p.m.

also has a splitter and MS3 seats!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
7/1/22 8:41 a.m.
Defined motorsports said:
John Welsh said:

Ok, and why? It seems like would really enjoy dailying a mazdaspeed with awd. Learn me. 

edit: read your post in that link. Oil consumption and weak awd. Noted. 

yeah thats the ford designed one so therefore garbage 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/1/22 9:39 a.m.
John Welsh said:

One note. CX30 came out before CX50.

The CX5 is a great little SUV that handles much better then most SUVs in its class. Talking to Dave Coleman, the first gen CX5 was faster around Laguna Seca then the 6 of the time.

Defined motorsports
7/1/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I like hearing that. Matt Farrah drove a cx3 automatic and said the car actually felt really good and shifted pretty nice for an automatic CUV. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/1/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I like hearing that. Matt Farrah drove a cx3 automatic and said the car actually felt really good and shifted pretty nice for an automatic CUV. 

Full disclosure I do work for Mazda. Of the current gen ones (CX3, CX30, CX5, CX50, CX9), I have driven all except the CX3. My wife drives a CX9 and it drives really well for a big SUV. There is a lot of focus put on the driving dynamics of all the vehicles at the company and personally I think it really shows in the handling of the SUVs. 

IIRC the first gen CX5 could still be bought with a manual.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/1/22 10:40 a.m.

Well now I done found this! 

Berrrrk if you don't buy that I will!!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/1/22 10:50 a.m.

They're good vehicles with the significant exception of the turbocharged CX-7s. STAY AWAY. The normally aspirated ones are fine, however.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/1/22 11:13 a.m.

Like others have said, run in the opposite direction of the turbo CX7's. The rest of the lot are just fine. The 1st Gen CX-5 is a good balance of affordability and quality. These earlier CX-5's are a good vehicle with basically the same drivetrain as the later ones, and you can get the early ones in the cheaper Sport trim with a manual trans and FWD if that's your thing. They also mark the departure with shared Ford platforms, which is a good thing. The best of the 1st gen CX-5's are the 2016's, which had updated interiors and exteriors. 

We have a later 2nd Gen 2018 CX-5 and it's been stellar. It's a little on the slow side, but it drives and handles great. The auto trans does what you tell it to do when in Sport Mode and Manual Mode. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
7/1/22 11:15 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

We have a later 2nd Gen 2018 CX-5 and it's been stellar. It's a little on the slow side, but it drives and handles great. The auto trans does what you tell it to do when in Sport Mode and Manual Mode. 

I have been surprised that the majority of mazda auto transmission behave like this. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/1/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

It was one of the things that sold us on the car. It doesn't hunt nearly as much as its competitors, and manual mode really means manual mode! It'll let you bounce off the limiter before it saves you. It shifts fast and crisp. It's only 6 speeds, but it's all you need.

And you're correct: All of the post-Ford Mazdas I've driven with autos drive great. The turbo 2.5 paired with this trans is extra fun. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/1/22 11:37 a.m.

The CX3 was a mazda 2 walking in platform shoes. They're REALLY small on the inside.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/1/22 1:42 p.m.

I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5, with 130,000 miles, which I bought new. No major problems.

Fun to drive, for a crossover. My only complaint: The seats are a tad stiff for my liking and my heated seat isn't hot enough.

At the time, I was considering a Mazda3, Mazda6, a CX-3, and a CX-5. I felt the CX-5 gave me the most bang for the buck in regards to the amount of space it offered for it size, and for the amount of travel I did.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/22 10:08 p.m.

The funny thing about the DISI equipped CX-7s is how much abuse they tolerate.  They will run badly for a long time.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/2/22 1:10 a.m.

I had a CX-5 manual and that thing drove and handled better than it ever should have..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/22 1:31 a.m.

CX5 is an easy car to like. There was some pretty rapid iteration for a while there, though, so I'd definitely do some research into that if it's the size you're looking for. I recall at least one half model year break. I think the changes were more around styling and interior than fundamental mechanicals, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've also had the chance to hoon a CX5 around an ice track along with some of its competitors, and the DSC is really well judged. It would enable you where the Subaru and Honda would be busy trying to save you from yourself. It's a pretty clever AWD system, actually, it tries to predict traction levels based on other sensors - including the wipers - instead of just reacting.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/25/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

2016 had a 2016.5 model year sold with a few differences before the Major update of the second gen.

RE; AWD specialty

Wipers, vehicle angle of attack, exterior temp.

one of the high lighted features was it sends more power to the rear on hills in low traction environments so you get a smoother takeoff where the HOnda system slips the front wheels and THEN adds power to the rear.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FFo8FTKyaYxVAOSRiaOzJij1MCTWFIHYSedzIVPknr190PmmviU4I4jWgFG2oAh6