Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/11/21 7:22 a.m.

Sooo I just hit buy now on a Mazda speed 3 Gt on the salvage auction site. 

Please learn me these things, as it was definitely an impulse buy. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/11/21 10:39 a.m.

The perfect engine for a Miata swap!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/11/21 11:36 a.m.

Many of these where owned (maybe second owners) by people who abused the hell out of them.  One sign is broken (or replaced) motor mounts, which results from aggressive launches.  This is a first gen without the hood scoop which were are much more stealth then the more garish second gen.

The wheel track on a Mazda 3 is almost exactly the same as a Corvair.... just so you know.

11/11/21 11:42 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Thanks

Does anyone know if the all the model 3 fenders and bumpers are the same between the hatchback/sedan/ Mazdaspeed 3? 

Same with the headlights. 

I am going to need to start doing some parts shopping. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
11/11/21 12:02 p.m.

The bumper and hood are different.  I think the fenders and headlights are the same.  Bumper probably interchanges with the others. 

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
11/11/21 1:42 p.m.

For the 07-09 Front bumper +  trim/grille,   fenders, fender liners, lights,  hood even the license plate bracket for the front bumper, are all specific to the Speed 3. 

Even between the normal hatch and the sedan, the fenders are different. 

11/11/21 5:09 p.m.

In reply to TGMF :

Thanks I guess that makes my parts search a little more difficult. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/11/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

I wonder if you "have to have" the Speed3 bumper or if the Speed3 bumper is just a more aggressive style bumper not offered on the base model.

I wonder if it could be possible to get the car on the road quicker with the wrong bumper that still fits, it's just not the "right" bumper.

$100 for the wrong bumper but driving while you wait for the rarer bumper to turn up online at a good price. 

Edit: oops, above he says the whole front clip is different. 

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
11/12/21 10:16 a.m.

I may be incorrect here, but I think the whole front is slightly wider than the regular 3's, to account for the wider wheels/tires. Which is why the whole front clip is different. 

Could you hang all regular 3 body work instead? Maybe/likely.

But keep in mind:

Items like the bumper and hood have provisions to clear the top mount inter-cooler and allow for additional airflow for larger cooling needs. That being the case, unless you go front mount, you're gonna need the Speed 3 hood. If you have the hood, (and I'm correct in that the front end is wider), you're gonna need the correct fenders to account for the slightly wider hood.....and the correct bumper to account for the wider sheet metal if you want things to line up. 

The headlights might be something simple like a color change that doesn't affect the fitment. I'd wager you might be able to source regular 3 lamps. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2fm0g6AKy3RmyP1c9TWk6To0hB0Cj0DHRWm2BklUJs5KSSFTYZaO0WaI7i7D4RP0