yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/4/19 9:52 a.m.

Before I hit the megasquirt forum I wanted to ask my friends im GRM. 

I want to replace all the engine ecu's in my s600 with a MS3pro. I also want to replace the engine harness as well. With that I want to dump these unreliable electronic throttle actuators (fancy throttle body's) with some mustang units. 

I'm a complete noob in regards to wiring my own engine harness and installing a standalone on a car. But, I want to learn along the way and do this successfully. Just consider my level of understanding is a 2 out of 10 lol

I have a few a few questions:

Can I control ABS and possibly traction control with this stand alone? 

My engine has two distributors, I want to run COP. What I need to do to swap over to that? 

More questions to follow as I figure out stuff.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/4/19 10:25 a.m.

The MS doesn't do ABS, it has some launch-control-oriented TC capability, but not TC as the OEMs do it. If you want aftermarket ABS control you'll have to get a pricey race car ABS system from Bosch for example.

You'll need to add a crank sensor to run COPs (and cap your distributor holes), and you may have to pair up channels and run a wasted spark setup to have enough outputs to run a V12. No big deal, that's the setup I'm running due to a faulty daughterboard.

Edit: I checked and the MS3Pro has just 8 logic-level ignition outputs so you will have to run a paired wasted-spark ignition setup. You can run sequential fuel though!

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
9/4/19 10:30 a.m.

Controlling the ABS will be very hard, but MS3Pro IS capable depending on the circumstances.
If your ABS has its own controller, its likely only going to need a small amount of info from MS3pro.
Find out what it is, and it should be possible to give it what it needs.

Yes, MS3pro can do traction control.
It can read you factory ABS sensors front/rear to get wheel speed and is able to do a few different traction control methods.
It can do quarter mile ET based traction control, slip %, etc.

Delete the distributors, get some LS coils. MS3pro can fire them no problem.
If you can't delete the distributors, then just leave them there but unplugged.

I REALLY REALLY want to do an M120 based V12 with MS3pro. Its been a dream of mine for about 3 years, but finding a good running V12 that isn't a fortune is a luck thing (I see them on craiglist for 800-1200 ONLY when I'm not in the mood to deal with one lol).

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
9/4/19 10:32 a.m.

You don't need the distributors at all.

Best setup is a crank trigger with a 36 tooth wheel missing one tooth.

Since an ICE full cycle is 720° crank degrees you need to add a 1 tooth cam sensor to allow full sequential.

You could use a CAS in place of one of the distributors instead of a crank trigger. A DIY trigger wheel will give you a fast sync.

LS coils will be easy to mount, or get the DIY coils for the ultimate sparks

The T/B's should be synchronized and have one TPS. Best to not oversize them to maintain drive-ability

The intakes should have a decent sized balance tube.

You will need at least one Wide Band O2 system.

You can probably use the factory CTS

Your Air Temp Sensor should go in the air filter to avoid heat soak.

I would use a 2 line fuel system with a manifold referenced pressure regulator. This recirculates fuel in the rails to keep it cool and purge any bubbles. The manifold referenced fuel pressure regulator provides some relief for the pump at low loads and acts as an accelerator pump of sorts, and maintains the pressure differential across the injectors. Use high impedance injectors and do not over size them.

ABS no, Traction Control yes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/4/19 10:36 a.m.

ABS is very likely a standalone system. Stability control may be integrated into it. Traction control may involve it.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/4/19 10:47 a.m.

Also,

I want to go with the electronic controlled 722.6 5speed auto trans. There's a controller you can buy for it. Currently car has a 4speed auto.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/4/19 12:42 p.m.

Make sure you check the manuals here https://www.ampefi.com/downloads/#documentation to make sure your future trigger arrangement is supported. I have seen people cobble together some interesting things before reading if that configuration is supported. On a V12 there are enough injector outputs for sequential fuel, but coil on plug will have to be wired in waste spark configuration (only 8 ignition outputs, 10 re-purposing two PWM outs). Generally a missing tooth crank sensor and a single pulse cam sensor is easiest, but there are others that could work. 

Trans control may be possible using a Microsquirt with the transmission code loaded, it depends on if it's supported, and that nomenclature isn't familiar.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/4/19 2:39 p.m.

I want to go with the electronic controlled 722.6 5speed auto trans. There's a controller you can buy for it. Currently car has a 4speed auto.

You too huh? Lemme know what you figure out. angel

Ive done a lot of piggyback wiring and some standalone wiring and some tuning. If you need help lmk.  

that nomenclature isn't familiar.

It's the 5spd auto that benz used in almost everything from like 96ish until they came out with the 7spd. Even after that they continued using the 5spd in the v12s due to torque rating, and DaimlerChrysler also used  a version of it in all their RWD cars that had 3.5+ Liters including the hemis and all the first gen SRT8s.  I think it's also in some Sprinters. And supercharged Jaguars. And probably some other stuff. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/4/19 2:42 p.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

Make sure you check the manuals here https://www.ampefi.com/downloads/#documentation to make sure your future trigger arrangement is supported. I have seen people cobble together some interesting things before reading if that configuration is supported. On a V12 there are enough injector outputs for sequential fuel, but coil on plug will have to be wired in waste spark configuration (only 8 ignition outputs, 10 re-purposing two PWM outs). Generally a missing tooth crank sensor and a single pulse cam sensor is easiest, but there are others that could work. 

Trans control may be possible using a Microsquirt with the transmission code loaded, it depends on if it's supported, and that nomenclature isn't familiar.

Seems to me that Merc used Bosch for their controller, so the tone wheel will be 100-2 teeth.  

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/4/19 4:44 p.m.

Or could you use two MS3 to control two I6 banks and solve some of the limitations? 

I'm not finding any info on doing so online, but that doesn't mean it can't be done and have them communicate across the same CAN BUS network for monitoring and tuning.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/4/19 5:00 p.m.

Ask BMW about how to do that :)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/4/19 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Or Ford.  Who did it for Aston Martin.  

IMHO, the biggest deal about the dual controller is having one being master over the other WRT slowing down and idle.  It's a royal PITA to actually match up the two throttles, and keep it there.  And that lead to some serious confusion when coming to idle after turning the fuel off- and it forced a master-slave configuration to make it work the best.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/4/19 7:26 p.m.
AwesomeAuto said:

Controlling the ABS will be very hard, but MS3Pro IS capable depending on the circumstances.
If your ABS has its own controller, its likely only going to need a small amount of info from MS3pro.
Find out what it is, and it should be possible to give it what it needs.

Yes, MS3pro can do traction control.
It can read you factory ABS sensors front/rear to get wheel speed and is able to do a few different traction control methods.
It can do quarter mile ET based traction control, slip %, etc.

Delete the distributors, get some LS coils. MS3pro can fire them no problem.
If you can't delete the distributors, then just leave them there but unplugged.

I REALLY REALLY want to do an M120 based V12 with MS3pro. Its been a dream of mine for about 3 years, but finding a good running V12 that isn't a fortune is a luck thing (I see them on craiglist for 800-1200 ONLY when I'm not in the mood to deal with one lol).

I think the traction control and ABS are in the same computer. I'll have to look again. 

I lucked up and got my car for free. But the M120  is my favorite Mercedes engine and the W140 S600 is my favorite Mercedes. 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/4/19 7:27 p.m.
Stefan said:

Or could you use two MS3 to control two I6 banks and solve some of the limitations? 

I'm not finding any info on doing so online, but that doesn't mean it can't be done and have them communicate across the same CAN BUS network for monitoring and tuning.

I don't see the advantage of that if one ms3 can run the whole thing. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/4/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

From what it sounds like, proper coil on plug and not waste spark.  Not sure how much that helps, as you can wire COP as pairs.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
9/4/19 7:51 p.m.
yupididit said:

Also,

You talking about ofgear? The STD crowd seems really pleased with the controller.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/4/19 8:02 p.m.
buzzboy said:
yupididit said:

Also,

You talking about ofgear? The STD crowd seems really pleased with the controller.

Yes sir they're exactly who I'm talking about.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
9/4/19 8:04 p.m.

There is also the Powertrain Control Solutions TCU by Russel out in WA State

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZtlCruEKNSa2FGpiEJNzBys2UGgxI7rDPfGvGDbrI5yplkcNUwEvdqFGPDXjzbdL