1 2
Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/13/10 3:08 p.m.

See, there is nothing wrong with that list of cars, but the charger/magnum/300/challenger/anything powered by the new hemi fall into the same category as the H2 as the choice of rude aggressive drivers. Not that everyone that drives one is a bad person, but it is rare to see someone driving one in a polite manner. I know some people like them, but they are my most unfavorite car that i can think of.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/13/10 4:25 p.m.

Well my wife found some other stick shift cars to consider. All used and under $20k asking price at dealerships.

2006 Lexus IS 250 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 2007 Acura TSX

It just maybe the colors and pictures, but they look boring to me. They may have leather, sunroofs and other options but they just don't look that nice. I do like the chargers. I never put a stereotype to them, but then I did just sell a Miata so I can't have that thin of skin to let something like that bug me.

the 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan that we were going to go test drive this week just dropped their asking price to under $16k with under 30k miles. But I was mistakenly under the assumption that they were AWD, not FWD. Not a deal breaker, but I would be nervous that it would be harder to sell in 4 or 5 years. Not that it will depreciate any more then the others, but that there will be fewer potential buyers for a 7 year old Saab then some of the other cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/13/10 8:39 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote: Check TopGear Series 12 Episode 2. They were constantly having to stop and wait for Hammond in the Charger.

Challenger, dood.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
4/13/10 11:08 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
phaze1todd wrote: Check TopGear Series 12 Episode 2. They were constantly having to stop and wait for Hammond in the Charger.
Challenger, dood.

Yeah, that episode bugged me a bit. If Hamster had held the traction control button down for a few seconds, it would turn it completely off. I guarantee it would have smoke the tires then. My wife's SRT8 will do it all day long..... (Or at least until my wallet empties from buying new tires)

But, you've always gotta take a little "poetic justice" for the sheer entertainment value of the show.

-Rob

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/13/10 11:13 p.m.

He should have found one with a stick shift, proper.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
4/14/10 2:43 a.m.

I drove my buddy's '09 Charger R/T with the "Auto-Stick" or whatever it's called a couple times. I was completely underwhelmed.

First, the interior... "Bucket" seats were flat, and too wide (for me) in the lower cushion. Being used to a Miata with a hardtop, the interior felt huge, since nothing was within easy reach like in the Mazda. Yet I felt kinda claustrophobic in the Dodge due to the high beltline and narrow window openings. Visibility sucked compared to the Miata, because I could never find a seating position that allowed decent views all around at the same time.

The car sounded cool as Hell, but just didn't seem all that fast. The torque was a nice change for a couple minutes, but the transmission drained the fun out of that very quickly.

Feeling like the car was going to fall off the edge of the Earth at the first hint of a steering input completely ruined the car for me

phaze1todd
phaze1todd New Reader
4/14/10 4:15 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
Challenger, dood.
Yeah, that episode bugged me a bit. If Hamster had held the traction control button down for a few seconds, it would turn it completely off. I guarantee it would have smoke the tires then. My wife's SRT8 will do it all day long..... (Or at least until my wallet empties from buying new tires) But, you've always gotta take a little "poetic justice" for the sheer entertainment value of the show. -Rob

Wheops. My bad.

P71
P71 SuperDork
4/14/10 8:34 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: He should have found one with a stick shift, proper.

Back then they hadn't made them yet.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
4/14/10 10:14 a.m.
I have driven one, and was not impressed at all (5.7 Hemi). The seats are very wide and flat, the car is HUGE, and the oomph isn't there (thank you Benz for the horrible open rear diff with 2.xx gears...).

I find it funny that you're complaining about the power of a vehicle that both ETs and traps better than your modified p71.

I just bought a 2.7 magnum with 75k on it for less than $5k. Granted thats not an everyday deal but seriously, pulling stunts like that is what GRM'ers should be all about.

It is definitely slow. Good thing i didnt buy it for speed! In fact, the 2.7 is the only version of the LX i was willing to consider because we drive long distances and im not willing to accept a car that gets E36 M3ty mileage. I AVERAGE 25-26 mpg in my land yacht.

It definitely has a lot of utility value and comfort, but the biggest high point for me besides the room-to-mpg ratio is the safety factor. Mine has the expensive abs/stability control option (rare on a 2.7) which makes it a pretty darn safe car in the wet on top of its obvious hugeness advantage. This was a big selling point for me because my fiancee has been having some scary moments in her Mazda3 lately. The car can DEFINITELY save your ass and i value her life very highly, so that was a big selling point for me.

Glad you are happy with what you ended up with, OP!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/14/10 11:09 a.m.
The car can DEFINITELY save your ass and i value her life very highly,

ah! So your not married yet?

Joey

Vigo
Vigo Reader
4/14/10 10:53 p.m.

I think the real problem is that i am in the wrong country for marriage

P71
P71 SuperDork
4/14/10 11:22 p.m.

I didn't say the power wasn't there, I said the oomph wasn't there. The car responds like a WWI dreadnought, slow and ponderous. And that's compared to a P71! A Miata would probably be at top speed before the computer sent enough electrons to the motor to get the big ole boat up to speed. The throttle is slow, the trans is slow, and the gearing sucks. Copy that with the massive amounts of weight on the suspension/wheels and it's just not a good feeling.

The interiors were really poor quality as well. The few I've been in all had mis-matched panels everywhere (both color and fit) and had rattles, squeaks, and scratches. This was brand new on the lot! I desperately wanted to like a Magnum, but the LX-cars are just too big, too fat, and too poorly built for me (and I willingly drive AMC's).

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/16/10 3:40 p.m.

Well I test drove a bunch of cars. I drove the following stick shift cars: Saab 9/3 Acura TSX Mazda6 CTS MS6

I then tested a Charger Daytona. I was more then impressed with the power of the hemi. Sure, I am coming from a miata but the thing felt fast and it pushed you in the seat pretty hard. it had an exhaust, but it also had some horrible 20" wheels and a glue on hood scoop. The interior looked a lot better then the base charger, the sunroof, seats and yellow interior trim did quite a bit to improve the looks.

this car was beat. It had overspray all over the engine compartment and it looks like the hood and fenders were removed with a crescent wrench - all the bolts were rounded off.

I think that if they had put a 6 speed in it, I would have looked for another Daytona. But it looks like I am going with the Mazdaspeed6. I read a lot of reviews (both professional and internetsperts) and when it first came out the real bitch was the price.

The one I am looking at has 30k miles and is cosmetically flawless except for one paint chip on the hood. It is at a dealer, but I think that I can get it for $16k to $16.5k. It has everything but Nav.

I know that they have some problems with heat soak, but it is going to be used as a GT car, not a sports car. But anyone know of any aftermarket support for the thing in case the mod bug hits?

Thanks for the help.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
4/17/10 11:09 a.m.

Sorry you didnt end up finding a clean LX. I have no retort to the slow responses thing. Mine is a cruiser and i try not to turn the wheel very far in either direction.. it defeats the primary purpose of feeling floaty

One of my better friends has an MS6 and loves it. Post pics soon! This thread has gone pretty far without pics already...

pete240z
pete240z Dork
4/17/10 12:57 p.m.

My boss owned a black SRT-8 - He let me drive it - It growled and roared and every cop noticed the chrome wheels and giant scoop/wing as we drove across Wisconsin. I would quickly get a couple of speeding tickets with it if I owned it. He just got a newer one and told me it has lit up cup holders.

I rented a hemi one in Nashville, TN two summers ago and every straight line was massive acceleration for me. I managed to burn through a tank a gas very quickly (11 mpg) and I also got the "check" rear axle light (posi thing) to come on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7C8gYxILlnkmJNE35bXD7vUTdNjdWoQWxXYvxi7s41FJRf7jaOotYmU0Yv1HrZqC