John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/19/20 10:30 a.m.

Potential vehicle at this weeks salvage auction in Cleveland.  Just a couple of hours from PA so not that odd to see a car that had been PA inspected.  This car seems to be a repo.  The keys are not present so I'm just doing my diligence to understand the car's background.  

In the windshield there are two sticker which I think are PA but they both are dated 4/19.  My main question is why two stickers and why both the same date?  

Picture: 

The whole auction listing 

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
9/19/20 10:37 a.m.

One is for the 'safety' inspection (tires, brakes, turn signals, etc).  The other is for emissions.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/20 10:38 a.m.

Inspection and emissions. 

Edit:  Shoot!  Beaten to it!  Again! laugh

9/19/20 10:39 a.m.

Excellent.  Thanks.  Are those actually PA stickers?    

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
9/19/20 11:04 a.m.

They look okay from here, would need a much better picture  and a picture of the back.

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
9/19/20 11:05 a.m.

The photo is a little blurry but they look like PA stickers to me. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/19/20 11:18 a.m.

Sure look like it. I don't have any from that month around to verify color though.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/19/20 11:21 a.m.

That would mean that the car is from around Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.  I believe it's only around those areas that you need an emissions test.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
9/19/20 12:11 p.m.

Most of the heavier populated counties need it.. iirc about a third of them do.

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
9/19/20 12:12 p.m.

Some other countries need them too, I'm in central pa and have to get emission stickers.

9/19/20 12:17 p.m.

Pittsburgh is just a couple of hours away. That would make sense. 

I guess that explains some of my confusion. You see, I've had PA cars before but with only one sticker but that car was from the rural PA/WV boarder area. Probably no emissions testing required there. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/19/20 12:21 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Yup, in fact I live 30 minutes away from Pittsburgh and no emissions here. The apartment I lived in for a few years, 20 minutes from here, was in a different county which did require emissions.

PA is less of a state and more of a giant farm with two big cities on the sides of it. laugh

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 12:50 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

That would mean that the car is from around Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.  I believe it's only around those areas that you need an emissions test.

Most areas of PA require emissions testing now.  I'm in Harrisburg and used to be in Carlisle, and both of those counties required it.

Edit:  By "most" I mean by population.  There are 42 counties that don't require it, but they also have very few people in them.  Even in those non-smog counties, there is a visual anti-tampering check, but I don't think it gets a sticker.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 12:54 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
faIH5ydr2G8vlPqt7PGfxZWBaarceGhG51KkoMwSI1kAB8hAHqz64MX2SJvKc9ct