Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/18/20 4:33 p.m.

Long story short, there I was using my plasma cutter a few weeks ago when the torch got very warm, then the arc died and wouldn't relight. I took the torch apart to change consumables, and it looked like I'd dipped the head into molten lava. Oops.

So, I ordered the cheapest complete torch from Amazon ($15), waited for it to arrive, and then threw it on top of the plasma cutter while I waited for a few spare minutes to change it out. 

I finally tried to install it, and the wiring is different. My old torch has a trigger connection and three wires on the head, while the new one only has a trigger. 

So, what should I do? Give up? Make a few splices and fix it? Order a different torch? Try to fix what I have?

The machine is a Daytona MIG/Cebora PlasmaCar 30, and the old torch says "P30" on it. At the end of the day all I'm looking for is a working torch with somewhat readily-available consumables. 

Bonus points if whatever solution proposed doesn't require me to leave the house, since we're quarantined for the next few weeks. 

Old Torch:

New Torch:

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
3/18/20 7:27 p.m.

I really don't know much, but years ago, we had an ESAB plasma cutter at work. It went bad in the torch. We replaced with a Thermal Dynamics torch, and it worked great. Funky installation came out the front of the machine at a 45 degree angle, but success, and readily available, cheap consumables. This was circa 2006.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/19/20 11:07 a.m.

Thanks for the datapoint, wheelsmithy. 

Anybody else have any ideas?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
3/19/20 11:27 a.m.

The extra wire must be to energize the tip. 

Perhaps you could just solder a connector to the copper pipe that likely feeds the tip?

If it explodes, can you return it??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T010uF1tOTsxYsTuvEr87X7ZDLe15pNHYnKtgMjBJ9UmCjRXkLxPNJJcpqZ54yug