1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/13/22 8:46 p.m.

It looks like I'm going to be making a detour on my way to the FL GRM get together on Saturday... A friend of mine just grabbed this for me for $800. I saw a video of it working, and it includes a license for Mach 3, too. 

Things I know:

• This machine is still sold new and this is a site with all its specs.
  • I've wanted one for years.
  • First project will be some armor for my Isuzu Trooper.
  • I've never messed with one of these, but do have a plasma cutter and lots of experience with CNC machines and g-code.
  • It seemed like a good deal.
  • I think it's small enough to fit in my garage.
  • My existing plasma cutter won't play nicely with the controls, so I ordered the cheapest cutter on Amazon that seemed to have the correct specs, ports, and THC feedback. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JZW9VJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, in theory I'll have a fully functional CNC plasma table for a $1300 total investment. Any advice? Pitfalls? Things I'm missing? Anybody else ever played with one of these?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/13/22 9:11 p.m.

I really wanted this to be about the Arc-droid since I consider it to be the only machine out there that is suitable for  automotive hobby guys who don't want to become programmers.

Pete

Tom Suddard
12/13/22 9:21 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I looked at the arc droid, but it's twice the price for a smaller work area and then I'd still need to build a table for it to work over. 

I shouldn't need to learn any code for this--just feed it DXF files and parts come out. 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
12/13/22 10:27 p.m.

Oh cool now I have to design a bunch of parts that fit inside USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes.  

In for learning about this. 

Mikefestiva on YouTube has a lot of videos on a Crossfire.  He seems to be grassroots people probably worth reaching out to and interviewing as well as getting info.  He built a mini Pinzguar 6×6, a Sawmill out of Motorcycle wheels, and has Kei Trucks.  

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
12/13/22 10:50 p.m.

I have one.  Its a great tool, and there is a lot of good info out there for the community. I may be able to help if you have specific problems.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/13/22 11:20 p.m.

Tom, you have a problem. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
12/13/22 11:49 p.m.

You'll be fine, with your experience!

The only thing to be cognizant of is that although Plasmas are great for lopping off large chunks of stock so you don't have to rough it on the CNC, you do have to keep in mind that flame-cut edges are very hard, which means very hard on cutters.   You may need to upgrade your cutters if you're cutting through the flame edge in any sort of steel.  Pay more for a good carbide endmill with chipbreakers.

Tom Suddard
12/14/22 9:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Tom, you have a problem. 

Sorry but I don't take advice from people who have to cut their roll cage feet out by hand like cavemen.laugh

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/14/22 10:23 a.m.

I advise an FSAE team that uses a plasma table and the main advice I can give is that every little detail matters, ranging from cleanliness to various setup details to cutting path to water depth (don't want it to splash back). A dirty machine that hasn't been optimized makes terrible parts, one that has all the details right makes pretty nice parts.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/14/22 10:28 a.m.
nocones said:

Mikefestiva on YouTube has a lot of videos on a Crossfire.  He seems to be grassroots people probably worth reaching out to and interviewing as well as getting info.  He built a mini Pinzguar 6×6, a Sawmill out of Motorcycle wheels, and has Kei Trucks.  

that is a solid GRM resume!

Tom Suddard
12/14/22 10:53 a.m.

And if you're wondering why I didn't buy a 4x8 table...

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
12/14/22 11:35 a.m.

In for the blueprint for how to own one of these.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
12/14/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Given that picture I'm now mostly interested in seeing how you store your bulk half sheet materials and the table.  Material storage is such a hassle and so space intensive.  I would read several articles about how people have solved it.  I like my single plywood sheet short tube storage but sheet material is horrible to store and maintain access. 

Tom Suddard
12/14/22 12:05 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I keep most of my sheet materials outside in the shed, but I also have some ideas to use the empty space under the plasma table for storage. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/14/22 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Ceiling electromagnets!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/14/22 12:49 p.m.

In to follow. 

The want is strong. I was shopping for one the other day and figuring out a plan to write it off as a business expense. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
12/14/22 1:54 p.m.

The https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare portion of their site is an excellent source for files that are ready to cut, and is worth checking out if you haven't already.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/14/22 9:59 p.m.
Carl Heideman said:

A dirty machine that hasn't been optimized makes terrible parts, one that has all the details right makes pretty nice parts.

^^^ This. The difference is remarkable. A well-set-up machine can sometimes be confused with a laser cut (at first glance), where as a poor setup gives you dog s--t. 

Tom Suddard
12/14/22 10:00 p.m.

Interesting--I never knew plasma was as picky like welding, and never really experimented much  with the handheld version. Excited to get this dialed in!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/14/22 10:11 p.m.

We are expecting an article about it in the Magazine....

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/15/22 12:16 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Interesting--I never knew plasma was as picky like welding, and never really experimented much  with the handheld version. Excited to get this dialed in!

Yeah, they can be very temperamental. I just sold my 4*8 take and " downloaded" to a crossfire pro. It's still in the box though. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/15/22 1:27 p.m.

E36 M3ty plasma cutting is easy.  Good plasma cutting is an art.

Get some sort of fume hood for it.  Don't wanna be breathing that stuff.  

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
12/15/22 9:52 p.m.

Get yourself a SheetCAM license. I use it with my CrossFire Pro and it's super simple and user friendly.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
12/16/22 2:43 p.m.
newrider3 said:

Get yourself a SheetCAM license. I use it with my CrossFire Pro and it's super simple and user friendly.

I use SheetCAM too on my home-built table.  It's a really nice program for how simple and cheap it is.

Be aware that a plasma table spits out mountains of black oily smoke, and will coat your entire shop in it in no time.  So either a down-draft table or a water pan is pretty important.  I messed around with a water pan a bit and it was cool, but I ultimately built a down-draft.  It works very well.

Z-height control is important.  I set up a "switch" that creates continuity when the torch shield touches the work-piece.  This will zero the z-axis before every pierce, and made the biggest improvement to my part quality.  Word from the experienced: I run this signal thru a relay powered by a 9V battery.  Added this after it nuked one of the inputs on my Gecko board.

I bought a THC unit which unfortunately I can't get to work properly.  I should probably research that one some more.

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
12/17/22 2:54 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Could you share your downdraft table? I'd like to make the switch from a water table eventually also.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wnDiyuSnQfh89Xm6E990CYtZfHbewHzm2XVFCPGdye1m8cgNnjlEgpwE1RF6Lfk7