Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/27/19 2:14 p.m.

I've been shopping for a new rig, and I've narrowed it down to a couple different cars in this price range. What's the skinny on c6zs aside from terrible interiors which I will rectify immediately with some recaros and a suede momo or something. What are the things to look out for, how do they hold up to track abuse and/or power adders?  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/27/19 3:00 p.m.

C6 interior is a lot better than the C5, but there's quite a price difference between the two cars. Recaros and aftermarket wheel will help immensely. The heads on the C6 will need some attention to the... Valves? I can't recall off the top of my head.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/27/19 5:00 p.m.

On most autocross courses they’re pretty close.  On a track the C6 has a 100 more hp so there’s that.  Some prefer the look of the C5 and I get that.  I prefer the C6 looks even though I’ve owned a C5 since just after they brought out the C6 and the prices fell enough I could buy one.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
1/27/19 5:12 p.m.

C6z!  Great car.  C5z is probably a better deal and grm is building one. Well-documented. 

I love my C6z.  What I’ve learned:

It’s an aluminum frame.  Which is light.  But tough to fix should you need to and also tough to build a cage for. 

So that’s both good and bad. 

Some say there is no issue with the heads and valves but most believe they are a time bomb.  You can get fixed ones for about $15-1600 and higher depending on how crazy you want to go. 

That’s the biggie. 

The clutch bleeder is virtually impossible to access so the remote bleeders are salvation but require some major disassembly to reach  

The clutch master can fail (possibly/likely due to infrequent fluid changes and dirty fluid because of the previous point) and there is an updated one from dealer   They can be replaced under warranty if the car is under 10 years and the pedal stays to the floor  

Other issues related to use in track:

heavy brakers can overheat the front brakes.  Aftermarket calipers and rotors will fix. 

Oil starvation in long and grippy right hand turns (slicks are usually necessary to achieve this).   Solution seems to be 2009+ or modified ($300) dry sump tank, possibly oil pan baffle. 

The clutch slave bushing can melt, but a metal replacement is avail. 

Unless you want or need the extra power and light weight, consider the c6 Grand sport     Same wide body and brakes but less finicky ls3   

Be aware of the vette tax!

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/27/19 6:14 p.m.

They seem like tremendous value. Pretty exotic for the money. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/30/19 1:20 a.m.

What’s the $$ difference these days between c5 and c6?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/1/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

$10k-15k?

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/1/19 3:27 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Some say there is no issue with the heads and valves but most believe they are a time bomb.  You can get fixed ones for about $15-1600 and higher depending on how crazy you want to go. 

That’s the biggie. 

Sam Strano of Stranoparts is a good person to talk to for this. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/1/19 3:40 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

$10k-15k?

More like $15k-$20k for similar condition cars.

C5 is the car to buy if you're going to start ripping it apart and going fast. They're far more disposable. C6 is a better all-around car, especially if you want to keep it stock(ish). Do the heads, though. Not worth the risk of a many-thousand-dollar disaster to save $2k on fixing them correctly.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/1/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ah! Well that makes the C5 even more the bargain IMO.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/1/19 5:41 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Wait, what's the Vette tax? I thought Vettes were cheap? Do I get charged extra if I I'm not an old man? devil

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/2/19 7:24 a.m.

The C5 is prettier, the C6 is faster.  C6 headlights aged really poorly in my opinion, whereas popups will always be in style.

There is a way to put a targa roof from a coupe on a FRC or Z06.  If I get another Corvette, that is what I am doing!

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/2/19 7:14 p.m.

The good news about c6zs is that it seems like alot of them have aftermarket or built heads because of "the valve issue" so they make even more power than stock lol ;)

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/2/19 8:18 p.m.

I'm shopping for jean shorts and tennis shoes with white socks so that if can get ahold of one I'll fit in at the vette meets lol. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D2CMQe7f1PYBZ5KJbnJ0CGOb2KUOIbqAkoZDFoLONqSfhKI9oJ2KTPqr1zNtlXAW