1 2
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/15/18 8:06 p.m.

I am on the edge of a precipice, potentially a devestating one.

I want a new daily driver - four doors, hatch back or wagon required, new enough and good enough condition to not require constant maintenance. I haul big boxes frequently and have two kids and this has to do backup kid duty. I had decided on a Chevy Volt, but then I found this.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/726851176/overview/

2010 Panamera S with 76k miles for $23,500. Save the "ugly" comments as I think these are actually good looking cars, for a sedan. Anybody here have experience with running costs on them? Reliability issues as they approach 100k miles? DIY-ability of the 2wd models for basic maintenance and repair? It sounds like the perfect dad-mobile. Fast, capable, hatchback, gas consumption isn't terrible. (20mpg? in a 400hp massive sedan? That's not bad!) The S has PDK, right?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/18 8:18 p.m.

They're f-ing fast. At least way way way faster than they look like they are. One of the PCA instructors autocrosses in his. I can't come close to him in my 964. Comfortable and capable. I love the interior, especially the back seats. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/15/18 8:38 p.m.

I've been kinda looking at these as well and trying to figure out how I could make the $$$ work.  I'd really love the GTS, but it's a lot of extra money and only comes with AWD...

On the PDK thing, as far as I know, all Panameras sold in the US are PDK. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
2/15/18 8:41 p.m.

Nearly 5k tow rated too. devil

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/15/18 8:53 p.m.

I drove a turbo with PDK and fell in love.  It was awesome.

JimS
JimS New Reader
2/15/18 9:05 p.m.

Had a base car as a loaner. Even in base form I loved it. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/15/18 9:35 p.m.

My wife just kind of narrowed her eyes at me, but I bet if I could get her to drive the car she would fall for it. A $23k car is not straining our finances in any way. I'm just so very, very cheap when it comes to my transportation usually.

You guys are making it easy for me to contact the guy.

Aww crap. Palm trees in the background of the photos. There are no palm trees in Ohio. Well, here goes a probable scam attempt.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/15/18 9:39 p.m.

I did a double take when i saw that price. I recently spent some time with a Panamera doing a pre-purchase inspection (for someone else!) in a Copart lot. Prior to opening this thread i hadn't seen anything lower than low 30s and now my brain will be a in a tizzy for a little while. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
2/15/18 9:40 p.m.

Wow, that's a lot of car for $23k. Unfortunately for me, I can't get past the looks, but if you like them, then go for it.  From everything I've heard, they are amazing to drive.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/15/18 10:40 p.m.

I sent an email and will call tomorrow. It's probably a scam, or salvage title or something, after looking at other cars and seeing those palm trees. But it's worth a shot. It's funny, $23k I can stomach with some heartburn. But $30k seems just beyond the pale stupid expensive no-waysville.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/15/18 11:31 p.m.

Not much to add other than that Panameras are really nice to drive, even when pushed hard on track.

mw
mw Dork
2/16/18 4:12 a.m.

Anyone compared one to an e90 m3? I'm kinda shopping for one of those, but panamera might also work well. I like the hatch.

octavious
octavious Dork
2/16/18 7:44 a.m.

I was standing next to a little ice cream stand near the Cherohala Skyway in TN when one of these went by wide open.  It sounded GLORIOUS at full song.  I dang near dropped my ice cream.  

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/16/18 8:13 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Nearly 5k tow rated too. devil

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/16/18 8:14 a.m.

I totally dug our time with one. I saw a dark blue one in the Publix parking lot the other night. It still stopped me in my tracks. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/16/18 8:57 a.m.

I spent four days in a Panamera 4. It was a fantastic car. There is nothing unattractive about it from the driver's seat. PDK is amazing. I would love to own one, but there is not enough luggage space for a weekend for three in New Hampshire.

On the other hand, I had the chance to visit with a Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo this week...

Bonus: The front brakes are the size of trash can lids!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/16/18 10:19 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

LOL - My CTSV drama was started by a scammer in New Orleans using palm tree pics...

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/16/18 10:25 a.m.
Woody said: Bonus: The front brakes are the size of trash can lids!

On the turbo, turbo S and GTS models at least.  The others get somewhat smaller front brakes. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/16/18 10:27 a.m.

neighbor has one and absolutely loves it. Phenomenal car

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/16/18 11:17 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

neighbor has one and absolutely loves it. Phenomenal car

Ha, my neighbor wants one. 

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/16/18 11:29 a.m.

Since we're talking about potentially catastrophic decisions, If that Panamera ends up being a scam, Autotrader currently has 12 Maserati Quattroportes under $20k. All of them with 40-75k miles. OH lawd, there's one under $11k! That might actually be cheaper than a used Volt. At least initially...

Dudewheresmycar
Dudewheresmycar New Reader
2/16/18 11:38 a.m.

e55/63 wagon would be cool also (if you can find one)

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/16/18 2:49 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I actually thought about your “adventure” when I was looking at this listing. I didn’t remember the palm trees in your listing though. 

Well I left a voice mail for this guy. I’m assuming at this point it’s a scam but I’m willing to check before giving up. I’ll save a search for these but my price range is probably too low. $25k I might swing but it has got to be a v8 and have less than 100k miles for me to be comfortable so I’m probably still too cheap for a good Porsche. We’ll see! I’ll keep this updated if I hear from the guy. 

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/16/18 3:03 p.m.

I think the Audi version is much better looking.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/16/18 3:16 p.m.

Had one as a loaner.  Felt like I was driving a tank, visibility out the rear windshield was horrible.  Cooled seats felt weird.  Drove fairly well, was HUGE.  Barely fit in my garage.

Oh yeah, they are *fugly*!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IpRky9j27Ah8FhRfYHWM2FAsXC00smhccICaSv5nKbRyvDRICba6K5pL2MbQ5SaC