1 2
84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/16/18 5:20 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to 84FSP :

I actually thought about your “adventure” when I was looking at this listing. I didn’t remember the palm trees in your listing though. 

Well I left a voice mail for this guy. I’m assuming at this point it’s a scam but I’m willing to check before giving up. I’ll save a search for these but my price range is probably too low. $25k I might swing but it has got to be a v8 and have less than 100k miles for me to be comfortable so I’m probably still too cheap for a good Porsche. We’ll see! I’ll keep this updated if I hear from the guy. 

Potentially one of more memorable mistakes...

More things that looked scammy have turned out well for me over the years.  No concerns giving it a try from my side.  

You can also setup your craigslist pro and cars.com hints for sunny Florida where all the affordable German super models seem to live.

gunner
gunner Reader
2/16/18 6:28 p.m.

Out of my price range but I like em. The guys on the everyday driver podcast said it's literally a 4 door 911. That's really high praise coming from them.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/16/18 7:11 p.m.
smokindav said:

I think the Audi version is much better looking.

The Audi Nonexisto? I don’t think there’s an Audi equivalent to the Panamera. 

No word from the Panamera seller yet. I did have to send a call to voice mail but it was from a different number. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/16/18 7:19 p.m.

Yep, looks kinda scammy.  Something doesn't seem to be quite right about that listing.  I am hoping I am wrong for your sake.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/16/18 8:39 p.m.

I guess i should offer as clarification for the hatchback enthusiasts that although a panamera IS a hatchback, there's really very little space behind the rear seat. It doesn't work out to be any bigger than a trunk on a car of that size, and it may actually be smaller..

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/16/18 11:46 p.m.
Vigo said:

I guess i should offer as clarification for the hatchback enthusiasts that although a panamera IS a hatchback, there's really very little space behind the rear seat. It doesn't work out to be any bigger than a trunk on a car of that size, and it may actually be smaller..

That is an interesting point. Although a lot of what I run into is that a standard trunk opening isn't big enough. My benchmark is: can a 24" cube box fit in it? I should check!

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/17/18 6:04 a.m.
dculberson said:
smokindav said:

I think the Audi version is much better looking.

The Audi Nonexisto? I don’t think there’s an Audi equivalent to the Panamera. 

No word from the Panamera seller yet. I did have to send a call to voice mail but it was from a different number. 

The Audi hatch is the A7. Price wise though, the Aston Martin Rapide was compared more often to the Panamera.

BMW and Audi have both embraced the 5 door swoopy body style. You have the A7 and A5 Sportback. Then there are the 6 and 4 Grand Tourismo's from BMW.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/17/18 10:52 a.m.

A quick nationwide scan of cars.com last night says legit folks are selling in this price range.  Saw a fair selection of models and mileage’s from 24-28k.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/17/18 10:57 a.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

The A7 is a gorgeous creature!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
2/17/18 12:21 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to JOsworth :

Indeed.  But I don't think it has much, if anything, in common with the Panamera.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/17/18 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I think it as brought up as an alternative to the Porsche. Especially with an S7.

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/17/18 1:28 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
yupididit said:

In reply to JOsworth :

Indeed.  But I don't think it has much, if anything, in common with the Panamera.

Not in common as in platform or anything. I actually don't know if the first generation Pamamera shares a platform with any VW/Audi. Now the just released second generation is the first car on the new MSB platform. Even so, VW platforms now are more of a drivetrain hard point..

The A7 ranges from the docile through the S7 all the way to the $113,000 RS7. So it does sort of overlap the Panamara.

Audi US RS7

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/17/18 7:53 p.m.

If i wasn't planning to turn it hard at any point i'd think hard about an A7 vs Panamera. The 7's styling is better in my mind, although i don't think the Panamera is hideous as some do. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/17/18 8:05 p.m.

OK, beyond the looks, they are a waste of space. Big on the outside, small on the inside, like a Cayenne, and unlike a 911. Pigish to drive too. I'd much rather have a quattoporte for the driving experience. But, that's just me.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
2/17/18 8:06 p.m.
rslifkin said:
Woody said: Bonus: The front brakes are the size of trash can lids!

On the turbo, turbo S and GTS models at least.  The others get somewhat smaller front brakes. 

They are merely the size of toilet seats

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/17/18 9:35 p.m.

Well the $23500 one was a scam. Typical "I'm deployed so you can pay for it and I'll ship it to you free etc" scam.

@MarkWemple: A Maserati is not on my radar for something I depend upon to get to work.

The A7 is pretty but is not the same in my mind. The way Smmokindav said it I thought he meant platform mate like Audi Q7 vs Porsche Cayenne. But I can see how they would be similar, the sportback is neat. But really, I do not mind the looks of the Panamera. I like it. In certain colors, even a lot. And everything I've heard says the driving experience is awesome, so the only question is the "living with it" experience - maintenance requirements, etc - and the initial purchase cost. If I could get an identical deal to this one I would probably jump on it. But it's probably more like a $30k car which is out of my comfort range.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/18/18 7:22 a.m.

How about an Audi RS6? The v10 has some expensive maintenance issue, like pulling the engine to do cats or o2 sensors, but otherwise not bad. And to hear a Lambo v10 everyday, well....!!!

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/18/18 9:40 a.m.

Well, I think if you want a Panamera S you should get one! Everyone's got an opinion but it's your money and your car - and if you don't like it you can always sell it and try something else.

If I was looking for an uber sedan it would be right there at the top of the list.

And they do look pretty cool in Black!

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/19/18 6:27 a.m.
dculberson said:

@MarkWemple: A Maserati is not on my radar for something I depend upon to get to work.

Of course you shouldn't depend on a single Maserati, but they're priced so that you can get a couple of them for the cost of a Panamera, and that doubles your odds of being able to car properly.

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/19/18 6:13 p.m.
smokindav said:

Well, I think if you want a Panamera S you should get one! Everyone's got an opinion but it's your money and your car - and if you don't like it you can always sell it and try something else.

If I was looking for an uber sedan it would be right there at the top of the list.

And they do look pretty cool in Black!

Yup, what he said... Keep looking, maybe be open to travel for the right deal?

And I am one of those that actually like these too. I also really like the early Aston Rapide (before the big grill). I do have to say that I like the second generation Panamera a lot better, especially the new Sport Tourismo (Panamera Wagon).

But what do I know.... I had a Honda Crosstour and now drive a mini van... LOL 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/20/18 10:19 a.m.

I'll keep looking. The 2nd gen Panamera Turismo is totally awesome but it's going to be a while before one costs $23k. ;-)

I've had a bad idea crop up to buy two at Copart / IAAI and fix one, part the other. There are a few coming up. The last thing I need is project cars # 4 and 5, but this one would possibly end up with an amazing daily driver for pretty cheap in the end. I told my wife about it in the context of "I'm totally not going to do this, but .." and then gradually talked myself into it.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
2/20/18 11:06 a.m.
dculberson said:

I'll keep looking. The 2nd gen Panamera Turismo is totally awesome but it's going to be a while before one costs $23k. ;-)

I've had a bad idea crop up to buy two at Copart / IAAI and fix one, part the other. There are a few coming up. The last thing I need is project cars # 4 and 5, but this one would possibly end up with an amazing daily driver for pretty cheap in the end. I told my wife about it in the context of "I'm totally not going to do this, but .." and then gradually talked myself into it.

Buy a wrecked turbo one and then swap all the drivetrain into the cheaper lower spec model :P?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/20/18 11:15 a.m.

I have ridden in a few, and the back seats of a GTS are like sitting in a Citation 6.  I assume, I don't really get to fly in Citations that often.  Or ever really.  Anyway, there are a lot of screens, buttons and thingies back there.  Amazing.  

As to cost of ownership, I had a boss that had a new Panamera every 2 years.  Never had an issue with any of his, and he drove it on the Autobahn to work daily.  

My other boss drove a 911 and used to get the V6 Panamera as a loaner.  The dealership told me they used them (as opposed to the Cayenne) because they were essentially bulletproof.  Most component were designed to withstand the Turbo's abuse, so the smaller motors are no big deal.  The smaller tires also put less stress on the suspension components.  They loved them and said 200,000 miles is pretty common in Germany where business people choose them over flying.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1xN6UYKxp9KD1rhn8e5RKXFDcVOpB8P5YXmQBpz3aj5GmHHIIKrmrZ4cQs40WnOo