drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 3:59 p.m.

I just bought a Pro Challenge car, this is what I can say about my car.

It is the oval version, It has the Kawasaki zx10 engine and gearbox, a Toyota welded differential, and a Five gallon fuel cell. 

There is little information on these cars on the web so I have some questions that I hope the hive can answer. 

1. What do the road race cars have that the oval cars do not? My plan is to road race it. 

2.A Ford 2.3L engine has been used in these chassis. Anyone know which 2.3L and what transmission it is connected to?

3.Am I correct in assuming the welded diff will be a boat anchor on a road course. If so has anyone used a stock non welded Toyota diff? 

4. In SCCA this car would compete in GTL I am wondering what engine is more popular in the class Kawasaki or Ford?

5. Anyone know how to determine the year of production of the Kawasaki engine based on the serial number? It would make ordering parts much simpler. 

Any other relevant info is always appreciated.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/21 6:35 p.m.

Oh man. Pics please!!!

I know nothing of the class or the cars.  But I do have a bike engined racecar...

I don't think the welded diff by itself will hold you back. But of course everything else needs to be setup to work with it.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/2/21 7:02 p.m.

One of these?

http://www.prochallenge.net/
http://www.prochallengeracing.com/Cars.htm

I have no prior knowledge of them, but they look awesome.

As far as GTL, I am no expert but I happened to be skimming the SCCA rulebook the other day. I seem to recall them requiring the engine to match the manufacturer represented by the bodywork, at least in most classes. And there's also certain cars eligible, I don't know if they would allow new submissions, but it might be easier to fit the chassis with bodywork from one of these.

And the Ford engines they list:

I notice they only list "engine family" for one engine, the Zetec. I guess the rest you have to figure out by bore, stroke, and OHV/SOHC/DOHC knowledge.

I don't know if these are specifically mentioned in the SCCA rules as being GTL-ready, but I would think you might have to do some adaptations to it. I found one that was set up for NASA competition, which might be easier as NASA's rules are a bit more...accomodating...in some ways as opposed to SCCA's more rigid "these cars go in this class, those cars go in that class" structure. This is my perception as someone who has never raced with either sanctioning body but did some obsessive rulebook reading to see where my cars might fit best, so take it with a grain fo salt.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 9:34 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

It is indeed one of those! Thanks for the info, it looks like it would best fit into SPU with little work or GTL with more work. I'm going to have to dig into the rulebook a bit more. NASA might be an option since they run events around me. 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter): 

Here's some!! 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

corolla2tcte27
corolla2tcte27 New Reader
8/2/21 10:33 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

You can find more answers from the Scca GTL/4/5 Facebook group.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/2/21 10:43 p.m.

The oval track chassis is very likely going to have offset and the suspension geometry may be oval track specific. Both of those can be changed.

As for the welded diffs plenty of people run them on road courses but I personally believe them to seriously compromise the handling.

modlite9
modlite9 New Reader
8/2/21 10:52 p.m.

Nice ride! I had a dwarf car/modlite made by the same manufacturer.  Does the car have an 8 bolt toyota diff or 10 bolt? I believe the ratios available to the 8 bolt are 3.30, 3.58, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10. The 10 bolt is available in 3.30, 3.42, 3.58, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30. Some ratios are rarer than others. The 10 bolt may have been available as a limited slip (early supra?).  You might need to get some springs/shocks as the current setup is probably asymmetrical.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 10:52 p.m.
corolla2tcte27 said:

In reply to drsmooth :

You can find more answers from the Scca GTL/4/5 Facebook group.

Thanks for the heads up!

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 10:56 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

The oval track chassis is very likely going to have offset and the suspension geometry may be oval track specific. Both of those can be changed.

As for the welded diffs plenty of people run them on road courses but I personally believe them to seriously compromise the handling.

That's what I was thinking but wanted to confirm my thoughts. I could hear the diff protesting when turning it to push it on the trailer to bring it home

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/2/21 11:04 p.m.
modlite9 said:

Nice ride! I had a dwarf car/modlite made by the same manufacturer.  Does the car have an 8 bolt toyota diff or 10 bolt? I believe the ratios available to the 8 bolt are 3.30, 3.58, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10. The 10 bolt is available in 3.30, 3.42, 3.58, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30. Some ratios are rarer than others. The 10 bolt may have been available as a limited slip (early supra?).  You might need to get some springs/shocks as the current setup is probably asymmetrical.

It is a 10 bolt, thanks for the heads up on the Supra diff I am going to have to look into that. I would imagine it is probably cheaper than many of the alternatives. BTW, the mod lights run at my local dirt track and are my favorite class, but I had no idea they were the same manufacturer.

modlite9
modlite9 New Reader
8/2/21 11:16 p.m.

There's plenty of brands for modlites but pro chassis is the one that made pro challenge cars.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/3/21 1:17 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the 2.3 Ford engine is/was a 'sealed' Duratec. No idea on transmission. Looks like both types of current cars get a Winters quick change rather than a welded Toyota axle.

Aside from possible suspension components/geometry, the road racers look to have a rear wing and 15" wheels.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
8/3/21 7:47 a.m.

What's the seating position like?  Would a tall, 6'+ driver fit comfortably?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/3/21 9:25 a.m.

Allison Legacy  Are these one in the same or different?

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/3/21 11:34 a.m.
JesseWolfe said:

What's the seating position like?  Would a tall, 6'+ driver fit comfortably?

I am about 5'9" and fit with alot of headroom and legroom to spare I would think you would fit. This thing is actually pretty spacious inside, there is room for a passenger seat. 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/3/21 11:38 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Allison Legacy  Are these one in the same or different?

Different manufacturer but the chassis itself seems to be very similar in dimensions.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/3/21 9:27 p.m.

looks very similar to my Baby Grand 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/4/21 7:03 a.m.

If you compare the Pro-Challenge car dimensions to a Miata you'll get a feeling for its size. It's a bit longer and the wheelbase is 2-3" longer. It's actually pretty close to the dimensions of my Challenge Corolla in terms of length, wheelbase and track width. With matching engine and body work it might make a decent GTL car, depending where the weight ends up. Track width of 60" matches the old SCCA GT4 & GT5 specs ( I don't have a new enough rule book for GTL). In any case, it certainly looks like a fun track car.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/4/21 8:25 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

looks very similar to my Baby Grand 

Very similar! I will have to take and post a pic of mine next to my miata for further comparison!

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/4/21 8:33 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

If you compare the Pro-Challenge car dimensions to a Miata you'll get a feeling for its size. It's a bit longer and the wheelbase is 2-3" longer. It's actually pretty close to the dimensions of my Challenge Corolla in terms of length, wheelbase and track width. With matching engine and body work it might make a decent GTL car, depending where the weight ends up. Track width of 60" matches the old SCCA GT4 & GT5 specs ( I don't have a new enough rule book for GTL). In any case, it certainly looks like a fun track car.

The matching engine and bodywork would be possible there is lots of room in the engine bay for something different. As far as weight, it is pretty light I havn't yet weighed it but without the pro challenge series mandated ballast I have been told they are just north of 1300lbs dry. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/5/21 1:18 p.m.

Are body parts and suspension available? 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/5/21 2:19 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Both are still avaliable although apparently some of the body styles have been discontinued. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/5/21 2:25 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

1300 is a great starting point!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eQX9Lr5Cbhive1RYAzf699YReKkday0Oaw23uLGHv8WTbzMiLfIhJNkp0O66233I